Roaster to handle up to a kilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaster to handle up to a kilo

Hi folks, up to now have been using the Behmor 1600, but am finding having to wait an hour between roasts a chore in a time poor age. I need a kilo a week and prefer a machine as simple as the Behmor. Does it exist for under 1k? Cheers.

Originally posted by lumenary View Post
    Hi folks, up to now have been using the Behmor 1600, but am finding having to wait an hour between roasts a chore in a time poor age. I need a kilo a week and prefer a machine as simple as the Behmor. Does it exist for under 1k? Cheers.
    No. No cheap options. You could try the DIY options like the corretto or KKTO.
    A better option might be to buy another Behmor. That would allow you to do several consecutive roasts.

Comment

Hi Lumenary, I agree with Flynnaus, running 2 Behmors is one of the more cost effective options for roasting 1 kg.

I do back to back roast on my 2 Behmors straight after cooling cycle finishes (i.e not waiting for an hour between roast). This may not be a best practice but my Behmors are holding up well, very well to hard labour

Comment

You should see Andy in action at MICE.

Up to (and maybe more) 60 roasts, in 3 days, back to back on the Behmor and all done whilst talking non-stop.

Comment

Yeah, sample roasters don't come cheap, get another Behmor or look at KKTO (whilst you *can* get 1kg out of a coretto it's hard to be consistent).

Comment

Originally posted by jbrewster View Post
            …whilst you *can* get 1kg out of a coretto it's hard to be consistent…
            But in a good setup with 750g batches it is certainly not hard to be consistent

I think most KKTO users would agree that while 1kg is possible, the sweet spot also tends to be around 600-800g without an additional heat source. And the same applies for the corretto. But I can do 2-3 back to back roasts no worries - as in beans into the cooler then load the next batch straight up. So 1.5 kg green (about 1.2kg brown) in well under an hour is easily possible.

But as to the OP's requirement of 'simple as the Behmor' … probably not. But depends how roast in your Behmor! If you use all the manual tweaks many Behmor users use - then the Corretto/KKTO is not much more difficult - but you need to build them first!

Cheers Matt

Comment

Originally posted by jbrewster View Post
              (whilst you *can* get 1kg out of a Corretto it's hard to be consistent).
              Agree with Matt...

Not difficult to do if you go about it the correct way and choose suitable hardware options...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                You should see Andy in action at MICE.

Up to (and maybe more) 60 roasts, in 3 days, back to back on the Behmor and all done whilst talking non-stop.
                Funny but true and they were all great looking roasts.

I do snicker doing back to back roasts beside the owner of Behmor who wrote the manual. 3rd year in a row that we did that many roasts at a trade show together and he hasn't clipped me behind the ears yet... but I'm still waiting for it.

Having said that, the correct company response is that the Behmor 1600 Plus is a domestic roaster and you all should follow the manual to the letter
                (even sometimes if I don't)

Comment

I've always done back to back. Not every time, just when I've needed to do more than one batch, which isn't often. No problems yet, and I clean it thoroughly.

Comment

Absolutely. Every fortnight I have roasted 5x320g of beans back to back for almost 3 years now. That's almost 400 roasts in 78 distinct sessions. The 5 roasts usually take about 3-4 hours basically back to back with only a short break in between to vacuum the inside of the Behmor.

I thoroughly clean my Behmor after every session with simple green. It still almost looks brand new. Even if it dies now it has paid for itself many times over. I have often thought about buying a second one to run them simultaneously, but I enjoy the 3-4 hours it takes to roast.

Comment

Hi lumenary, there is talk of this being released soon. Aillio which they say can roast 1 kg.

Comment

Thanks for all ur replies folks, will probably go with a second behmor, excellent value for money...

Comment

Hmm that Bullit R1 may well turn out interesting

Comment

I will certainly give the Ailllio Bullit a look when it is available here.

In the meantime, this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/2...n-roaster.html has been performing nicely for almost 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                            X