Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean options for first roast attempt.

Hi all,

I'm pretty keen to have a shot at some home roasting with a popper, and was wondering what everyone would recommend from the Beanbay as a good easy first candidate.

Nearly all coffee consumption in our house are milk based drinks with the shots being pulled through my 20yo Bezzera BZ90.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers, Crashden

maybe Brazil pulped natural? Others would know better though.

Comment

Did the same myself about a year ago
      Started with Peru ceja de selva and Indian Elephant Hills AAA based on the descriptions of being 'easy to roast'
      They are easy to roast, taste great out of a popper, very easy to do
      Id start there

Comment

Thanks mike123 I was thinking the Peru Ceja de Selva might be an alright place to start.

Comment

I remember seeing a post on this before I tried and bought PNG Wahgi and Colombia volcan galeras, both of which were great and easy to roast.

Comment

i checked my notes on when i did about 10 types in a popper
            What i found was the PNG & colombian both needed to be fairly dark (about CS10) to get really big body. And in a popper it was a fine line before it went too dark & oily & tasted burnt. When i got it just at CS10 they were great but a bit tricky to time it to the right color.
            I found with the peru in particular was it had a very loud First crack you could hear over the popper noise (when you are new to it is good & exciting to have an obvious FC) it went to a nice CS8-9 color & stayed there for a while and anywhere in that CS8-9 color range has a big body - so when i say easy to roast i mean theres a wide range of times you can stop the popper & still get a big body espresso. When i started i thought getting a nice color & big body that cut through milk (and not being frustrated by over doing batches & binning them) was more important than subtle taste differences. So i think peru has a higher 'success' rate first up. Thats my rationale. Done about 15 types now, blown up a few poppers & moved onto a behmor but it was great fun & learning

Comment

Just the info I was looking for, something with a wide tolerance.

Thanks for going back through your notes.

To be honest I was going to buy a Behmor straight up and was cursing that I missed the one for $150 the other day.
              Thought I really should stick a toe in the water with a popper first.

Comment

Originally posted by crashden View Post
                Thought I really should stick a toe in the water with a popper first.
                Excellent idea crash'...

You can learn a lot from the use of a Popper and the bonus is, that you have to stick to small batches, so in the event of a few less than ideal end results, you haven't wasted much coffee but hopefully learned a lot in the process. I used a popper for several years before upping the ante into Corretto roasting, and still do for the odd small batch of Robusta.

Keep good records of the timing of the various milestones and of course all the physical attributes and then at the end, include your taste impressions (good and bad) of each batch to close the loop, as it were. Will all be valuable information as you progress along. Most of all though, have fun. It's a very enjoyable pastime...

Mal.

Comment

Peru Ceja de Selva ordered, here we go!

Comment

You could also try Kenya aa I find it is very forgiving on how much heat you can put into it and still get great results.

Earthy and chocolaty in milk based coffees.

I don't go for the Peru any longer, find it too bland.

Comment

Interesting that you find Peru Ceja de Selva bland! I found it very strong and tobacco like.. Ended up mixing it with Brazil pulped natural (50/50) which I found bland but with great body/crema and it balanced out the Peru.

I am a rookie when it comes to roasting so who knows

Comment

Working...
                      X