Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gene Cafe problem - low outside temperature or something more serious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Cafe problem - low outside temperature or something more serious?

Hello snob roasters

GC wouldn't go - it would turn on but as soon as I turned on the heat, it cut the process, started beeping and produced an E4 message! This happened several times

I had breakfast and tried again and... no problem!

The outside temperature at 7am was just below 0 so about 0 in the shed where the roasting occurs. After breakfast the outside temperature was marginally above 0.

When I roast next time? :/

Do I have a problem or is this situation just a function of winter mornings? GC is 2.5 years old and no problems otherwise to date.

Want "a roasting blip not a tragedy" Rancilio

G'day mate...

Have you checked out this thread...
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/3...-e4-error.html

Mal.

Comment

Yep. As the range on the temp dial is 0-250C, one imagines that the machine may shut down if the sensor (sensor 2) detects a temperature outside this range. I'm pretty sure that it does if the exhaust temperature exceeds 250C anyway.

Regardless, operating a roaster in an ambient temp of 0C doesn't sound like the greatest idea.

Comment

Cool (no pun intended). If this is the most likely cause I will approach the next roast with less trepidation at a time less frosty!

I'm surprised there's not more information about this temp threshold issue in the cyber universe. Much of the population of North America spends most of winter below 0 degrees Celsius for most hours of the day.
        Last edited by WantRancilio10; 23 July 2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WantRancilio10 View Post
          Cool (no pun attended). If this is the most likely cause I will approach the next roast with less trepidation at a time less frosty!

I'm surprised there's not more information about this temp threshold issue in the cyber universe. Much of the population of North America spends most of winter below 0 degrees Celsius for most hours of the day.
          I suspect that they don't roast outside in winter (the manual does say 'don't roast outside'). It's an air-fed roaster, so sucking really cold air in probably isn't helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
            I suspect that they don't roast outside in winter (the manual does say 'don't roast outside').
            Indeed Barry:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boston Sidewalk.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	740871

Java " " phile
            Last edited by Javaphile; 23 July 2015, 01:57 PM.
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
              It's an air-fed roaster, so sucking really cold air in probably isn't helpful.
              True. I'll say it just before anyone else does - "Should have bought a Behmor!"
              Not that 7am roasting is really my thing.

Javaphile - link is broken?
              Last edited by WantRancilio10; 23 July 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Javaphile - link is broken?
                Hhhhmmmm.....How about now?

Java "Inquiring minds want to know" phile

Comment

Yep, looks like the path to my shed....

Comment

True. I'll say it just before anyone else does - "Should have bought a Behmor!"
                    Behmor 1600 Manual
                    Part V: Tips, Maintenance, FAQs and Troubleshooting continued

My system stopped and an error message reads:

Err1 -- Thermostat is damaged or roaster has been stored in sub 45F enviro

Comment

I think using (roasting) and storing are different things with the Behmor? But still, that would be a bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]10059[/ATTACH]

Java " " phile
                        That outside your place JP?

Mal.

Comment

Why not use a fan heater to heat the air near the Gene?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                            That outside your place JP?

Mal.
                            Nah we had a very light year here this year so it didn't get quite that bad here. That one's from by my kid where they got almost 3m of snow over this last winter.

Java "No stranger to snow" phile

Comment

Originally posted by ajayro57 View Post
                              Why not use a fan heater to heat the air near the Gene?
                              Well desperate times do require desperate measures! I don't think it will need to come to that too often though (conditions here aren't 'alpine' often).

Comment

Working...
                              X