Dueling behmors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dueling behmors?

OK call me crazy but on a good week I'm roasting aroynd 5kg and I was wanting to cut down on my roast times

What I was wondering was can I run two behmors plus machines side by side at the same time off the same circuit ? Or am I just asking for trouble ?

Alternatively how would I find out if I have different dedicated circuits around the home ?

Bearing in mind that I am not an electrician and, er - safety first !

There are plenty of "home" roasters that use 2 Behmor roasters and I'm sure some of them might chime-in here too.

Two roasters on a "power board thing-o" might give you tripping grief but 2 on a wall outlet should be fine.

As for working out which circuit is which... turn off all your safety switches at the fuse box (in day light is easier!) and then turn one on at a time to "map" which one goes where. Regardless of running two roasters, you should know this anyway for other troubleshooting in future.

My last house had 6 different power circuits...
    1: Laundry, kitchen, lounge, garage
    2: Bedroom
    3: Bedroom
    4: Bedroom
    5: Fish pond / outside
    6: unused Power point out the back of the house.

The 3 bedrooms ran a bedside clock... every other electrical device in the house was on one circuit!!!!

I've roasted on two roasters at once at a couple of trade shows doing demos, as long as you start 10 minutes apart it's manageable... too close the the same start time and things can get really hectic after first crack.

Comment

G'day mate...

Do you own a bedside or table lamp?
      If so, turn all the GPO Circuit Breakers off bar one, then using the lamp, see which GPOs in your home are alive and then note them against the CB that's turned On. Repeat for the other CBs....

As far as circuit loading is concerned, the Behmor nameplate should have the rated current draw or maximum power draw printed on it, which will guide you as to how much load you will be able to apply to each GPO circuit in your home...

Mal.

!!!SNAP!!!

Comment

Stella advice my friends ! You've saved the day ! (Now to purchase a new behmor!)

Comment

Dueling behmors?

2 Behmors are going to draw 13.58 amps. An espresso machine like, say, a Silvia is going to draw 4.8 amps. Add a grinder and you need another 2 amps. If this is off one circuit (say 2 double 10 amp power points) you'll be drawing about 21 amps of coffee stuff. Is there a washer on the circuit? A bug zapper? An air compressor? Say other appliances added 6 more amps. Now your load is 27 amps on a 20 amp circuit. Your breaker will switch off due to excess load. What if you have a C32 breaker on the circuit? Then you're ok because your load is 27 amps on a 32 amp circuit.

One way to check what's on a circuit is look at the breaker information in the main supply panel which is usually marked on a sheet of paper on the inside of the door (kitchen; garage; shed; laundry; etc.).

I have a C20 breaker on my shed circuit. I have two double 10 amp power points and an over head light that run off this circuit. My Behmor uses 1360 watts (5.7 amps), Rancilio Silvia (4.8 amps) and Macap grinder (2.5 amps) for a total of 13.5 amps (rounding up) plus the over head light (.75 amps) for a total of 14.5 amps on my shed circuit (which has 20 amps available).

Can I run another Behmor off this circuit? Sure, but I'd turn off the Silvia and not use the grinder. This will free up load that the second Behmor can use.
          Last edited by sprezzatura; 26 October 2015, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Make sure you save some dosh for when the Behmor Connected upgrade kit becomes available next year!

Comment

I was running 2 Behmors and loving it, the best value 1 kg roast capacity out there.

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                Make sure you save some dosh for when the Behmor Connected upgrade kit becomes available LATE next year!
                See my subtle word addition in the quoted text.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazooka View Post
                  I was running 2 Behmors and loving it, the best value 1 kg roast capacity out there.
                  I was thinking of you when I typed the first reply Bazooka.

Comment

Dueling behmors?

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                    See my subtle word addition in the quoted text.
                    Next year is next year about the time I'll be purchasing a Behmor :P 2017 if needs be (assuming it meets AU standards)

Comment

connected upgrade kit? why so you can live feed to your facebook profile as you roast? hahahahahaha!

Comment

Hopefully they've been working on something _slightly_ more sophisticated than that :P

Comment

Originally posted by Bazooka View Post
                          1kg as opposed to 800g? is there something I need to know here?

Comment

I want to know that trick too!

Comment

Ive been pushing my roasts out to 420g green bean in but I havent been game to upload more than that!

Comment

Working...
                              X