Ethiopian Biftu Gesha (Behmor 1600)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethiopian Biftu Gesha (Behmor 1600)

I tried a variation of Pyrmont's 200g manual roast.

200g Biftu Gesha
    P1 program
    Fan on at 7:00 minutes remaining
    Beautiful progression through yellow to brown until first crack
    Press "C" button two snaps into first crack and P3 button (50% power)
    Run out to cool - barely into second crack and opened door (which blew some chaff but I hold a shop vacuum near the opening which sucks most of it).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448421735.472390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	758181

172g post roast weight; CS9

Looks luscious. Keen to hear how it tastes....

Comment

Beans look good mate....

What sort of time between the start of 1st-Crack and the first few snaps of 2nd-Crack, out of interest.... I'm a nosy bugger, I know...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by tobeanornottobean View Post
        Looks luscious. Keen to hear how it tastes....
        Should you not be at home roasting point yet,wtbontb, I can totally recommend trying this bean already roasted from Bean Bay.

I could offer an encylopedia of praise words for the bean Andy offers.

But the one that cuts to the chase for me is "a gem of a roast bean".

From the first opening of the bag to the last beans, the brew is delicious.

Comment

I can report that I just ground some for plunger (it's brewing right now!) and the smell was incredible - I'm not very good at this sort of thing but it smelled like blueberries, sultana syrup and spice.

Mal, I went 2:10 from rosetta and ran the clock out to auto-cool and opened the Behmor's door.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448436503.403750.jpg
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	741287

Comment

Sipping some black right now ... blueberries!

Comment

You can probably see all the oils on top of the mugs. I decanted boiling water into a Pyrex 1 pint and then decanted that into the press for 5 minutes. Next time I'll let it sit for another 2 or 3 I think.

Comment

It's fantastic - thanks Andy for the screaming fast delivery!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
                  Should you not be at home roasting point yet,wtbontb, I can totally recommend trying this bean already roasted from Bean Bay.

I could offer an encylopedia of praise words for the bean Andy offers.

But the one that cuts to the chase for me is "a gem of a roast bean".

From the first opening of the bag to the last beans, the brew is delicious.

Good tip. Not yet home roasting, but planning on getting something to change that sometime. Will check out those beans!!

Comment

Originally posted by sprezzatura View Post
                    You can probably see all the oils on top of the mugs. I decanted boiling water into a Pyrex 1 pint and then decanted that into the press for 5 minutes. Next time I'll let it sit for another 2 or 3 I think.
                    This bean I leave for 8 minutes when I use the larger press.

I got into a real rut with my methods. In large thanks to CS, I decided to vary efforts.
                    Simply love the results.

Nothing better to be able to discern those smells..... Bliss!

Comment

8 minutes it is! I'll post some images of it as espresso in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by sprezzatura View Post
                        I can report that I just ground some for plunger (it's brewing right now!) and the smell was incredible - I'm not very good at this sort of thing but it smelled like blueberries, sultana syrup and spice.

Mal, I went 2:10 from rosetta and ran the clock out to auto-cool and opened the Behmor's door.[ATTACH]11054[/ATTACH]

Looks like you could stand your spoon in those mugs sprezz! IMHO Ethiopians do well in the Behmor....

Comment

Lol - it was potent!

Comment

Goodness! It's two orders of magnitude better through the Hario! Unbelievable coffee - best filter coffee I've ever had in my entire life. Serious!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448515685.621543.jpg
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	741289

200g Biftu Gesha
                            Behmor manual
                            P5 until mid first crack (45 sec)
                            C (Rosetta)
                            Run out to auto cool -some second crack snapping
                            DOOR CLOSED until cool cycle finished
                            :30 min cool off on plate
                            12g through Macap M2M @ 4.5 setting (my cutters are getting a little dull)
                            40ml water at just off boil; bloom 1 minute
                            220ml water just off boil

This coffee needs nothing. No milk. No sugar. It's the King of the Pour-Overs as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Yeah, it's beaut coffee alright...

Halfway through my bag already...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X