Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a KKTO roaster

Hi there CS folk

Is it possible to buy a KKTO roaster anywhere? I realise they are no longer being built officially. Would there be a way of buying one second hand (or new).

Thanks

William

Hi William,

Welcome along to coffee snobs.

To be honest, it's pretty unlikely that you'd be able to purchase a KKTO. It's strength is that it's pretty hardy and probably tends to be the kind of thing that people hold on to, either because they want to roast the large batches, or because they put the time and effort into building the thing and so have sentimental attachment!

That being said, some members who tested/started with KKTO moved on for various reasons. Can't be any harm putting a WTB ad up for a KKTO. It's hard to put a reasonable price on the thing, but you might get bites around the $300 range?

Alternatively, you could put up a WTB ad, offer to acquire the parts, and pay someone to build it for you?

Or.. you could build yourself. I had fun building one. Wasn't the easiest of jobs, mostly cause I was learning things for the first time, and I needed help from a friend who had access to a shed, but it came together pretty quickly. The satisfaction of building it helped me to push through the initial frustrations of learning to use it. KK still sells some parts, but others have built from the ground up on the cheap.

See how you go. Cheers,

Al

Comment

One used to be able to buy them as a complete unit from Barazi in Brisbane but don't know if that is still possible...

You could try contacting KK himself and ask what the current situation is.

Mal.

Comment

On KK's website:
        Please note that the Koffee Kosmo kits are no longer being produced

And this web site remains active to act as a reference to any DIY builders

Comment

Although the kits are no longer available, and you have to source the majority of the pieces yourself, KK does still have some bits a pieces though - it's worth contacting him, even for the advice alone.

Comment

KK is a great guy. You'll most likely have to diy but there is a good amount of support available

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
              On KK's website:
              Please note that the Koffee Kosmo kits are no longer being produced

And this web site remains active to act as a reference to any DIY builders
              Hmmm...

Fair enough. Didn't know KK even had a website...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Didn't know KK even had a website...
                Google koffee kosmo, Mal. He has a blogspot site as well.

Comment

As soon as I read about it, couldn't help but check it out...

Looks good,
                  Mal.

Comment

Just out of curiousity , would one of those : Airfyer"s advertised lately be ok , l presume it might'nt have enough heating power , and also the rotating drum would'nt hold a lot ?

( lm happy with my corretto by the way )

Comment

Nah, others have experimented with air fryers. You can find the threads using search. Basically no-one has persisted.

Comment

ok, yeah l thought thatd be the case ( not cheap either )

Comment

Hi Al

Thanks for your response, sorry of my slowness in getting back to you. Yeah, I will build my own. I see that now. I am reading and re reading KKTO plans and checking out other user experiences. Time will tell

Cheers

William

Comment

No worries man,

Where are you based?

Al

Comment

Where do you live

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                              No worries man,

Where are you based?

Al
                              Hi Al
                              I live in Nha Trang, Vietnam. Been here for a few years now. I married and we now have a 17 month old boy. Pretty incredible, could never have googled up such an experience:-).

We bought a big house on the beach and just finished a major reno, nothing like the building process I know in au. Crazy, but it all worked in the end. We plan to open a coffee shop, bar and 2 room guesthouse (all on the beach) later this year. I did bring my 20 year old La Pavoni with me and bought a grinder. There are plenty of robusta beans grown here. I read Vietnam is the second largest coffee producer in the world. Coffee here is a huge trade, coffee shops everywhere you go, and all busy. Vietnamese are coffee fanatics for sure.

I have started to build a KKTO here with the help of KK. I am slowly sourcing parts needed. I also have my eye on a Bosco 2 lever machine..... That'll have to wait but I have fallen in love with it already.... There's an up date and short story. Perhaps there is a book on the adventure one day.

Cheers Al

William

Comment

Working...
                              X