Behmor 1600 roasting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor 1600 roasting issue

Hi Folks, have been using the behmor 1600 to roast 300gm of the same beans every week over the past 3 years or so. In the first year or so 1st crack was reached at around the 10.30 mark. 2nd year around the 9.30 mark and 3rd year around the 8.30 mark. Could this be a moister content issue or is my roaster giving up? Cheers.

Could be moisture but more likely to be ambient temperature.

Colder air in needs heating and has the biggest effect on the roast times.

Also check that the right side wall is clean, there is a thermistor there that reads the heat and it can cause odd things if there is a carbon build-up. (in the manual)

Comment

Cheers for that Andy, yep moved my roasting to the patio and this year has been particularly cold in Perth ��

Comment

Roasting in the evening in the garage, opening the garage door causes a dip in the bean temp as the cooler air enters the garage. Surprised me that it was that sensitive but makes sense as the cooler air will take up some of the power.

Cheers

Comment

moved my roasting to the patio and this year has been particularly cold in Perth
          Bingo! That will do it.

Surprised me that it was that sensitive but makes sense as the cooler air will take up some of the power.
          The problem is amplified on bigger roasters, my commercial roaster sucks a lot of air and differences in temperature have to be allowed for else the profile changes a lot.

You can see the ambient air temp differences on an 80g popper roast too so nothing is immune if you are consistent enough to notice.

Comment

...should have also mentioned...
            it's why I built a small roasting room and put a large reverse-cycle air con in it, makes it far easier to control the ambient temperate and requires less fiddling of the profile to get a consistent result all year round.

Comment

Will bring the roaster back in for winter roasting, cheers for all ur help here... Mean time i have gone through 3 breville smart grinders in 3 years, on the sales @$99 no probs but at full price not so sure, but this is for another day

Comment

Working...
              X