Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greens sample pack / starter bean?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greens sample pack / starter bean?

    Hi all,

    Way back when i signed up I remember seeing a Green beans sample pack (much like the roasted sample pack) in BeanBay has that long gone - or did it even exist, and I was imagining things.

    Giving the old popcorn maker a go with some trial beans from ****** when i picked up the BZ10 and i've got the roasting bug and want to sample a few more beans to keep on going.

    2nd roast was much better than the first and hoping that wasn't a fluke

    Anyway - if the sample packs are no longer existent, any beans recommended for a newbie roaster. I was eyeing off the Ethiopian beans as i usually like the profile of those when bought roasted. Majority of the coffee yielded will be milk based.

    Cheers!

  • #2
    Have a crack (pun intended) at either of the Indians on Beanbay Very easy to roast and great value.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd suggest a bag each of "Peru Ceja de Selva AAA" and the "Ethiopia Ghimbi" that Andy has just landed.
      Roast them separately and then blend in a ratio of 60:40 respectively.

      Guarantee that you will love it...

      Mal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks guys,

        I'll give the blending a crack.Order placed

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          I'd suggest a bag each of "Peru Ceja de Selva AAA" and the "Ethiopia Ghimbi" that Andy has just landed.
          Roast them separately and then blend in a ratio of 60:40 respectively.

          Guarantee that you will love it...

          Mal.
          Forgot to mention... This is a winner.
          Second time blending and roasting it today.

          Comment


          • #6
            Looks like a very good outcome there mate; those beans look very yummy...

            Mal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Okay need some advice from the roaster sages on here.
              After my roast above. I'm looking at some really oily beans. So that's 6 days post roast. Tasted fine this morning.

              Did I overroast?
              Am I storing it wrong (glass bottle, potentially not airtight seal)
              Did I store/seal it too quickly post roast. Around 4 or 5 hours after?

              Just did a roast and pulled it out earlier and a bit lighter this time around. Just in case (and also checking out the taste difference)

              Thanks!
              Last edited by tannyboy; 12 November 2016, 10:53 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah roasted too dark. I store mine in bags with one way valve, can be purchased cheaply or reuse ones you be previously bought coffee in. I bag mine when they are still warm.

                Be an interesting comparison between your two roasts. The darker stuff should be drinkable earlier than the lighter roast.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by trentski View Post
                  Yeah roasted too dark. I store mine in bags with one way valve, can be purchased cheaply or reuse ones you be previously bought coffee in. I bag mine when they are still warm.

                  Be an interesting comparison between your two roasts. The darker stuff should be drinkable earlier than the lighter roast.
                  Yep. Two days resting on this new batch a few drops of oil on a few beans but everything else seems fairly dry.
                  I've chucked the beans into a one way valve bag I had floating around and see how it fairs.

                  The current batch (oily) still taste okay be it a bit bitter. So hopefully this is a touch better.

                  Let you know after a few days.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't mind a couple of oil spots here and there but I haven't taken a roast that dark for years.
                    I usually take it to 2nd crack or tiny bit either side and still get good chocolate notes through my coffee.
                    Last edited by trentski; 15 November 2016, 02:24 PM. Reason: Accidentally typed 92nd crack. Hilarity ensued LOL

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by trentski View Post
                      I usually take it to 92nd crack or tiny bit either side …
                      Sounds a little darker than I usually roast

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Some people use thermocouples but I like to count the individual cracks and pull it after the 92nd bean. I find if I wait for the 93rd bean to crack I've gone too far.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by trentski View Post
                          Some people use thermocouples but I like to count the individual cracks and pull it after the 92nd bean. I find if I wait for the 93rd bean to crack I've gone too far.
                          Sounding a bit like Yelta there

                          Maybe I'm the one going too far :P

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I too am looking for the green bean starter pack. Should it be available now (Andy)?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lindsayward View Post
                              I too am looking for the green bean starter pack. Should it be available now (Andy)?
                              Doesn't exist.

                              You are far better off buying one of the 2.5kg packs and experimenting with the same bean at different roast depths. You will learn far more that way than chopping and changing beans, processing, altitude etc in a starter pack.

                              2.5kg of green will produce 2kg of roasted so it really isnt "that" much coffee.

                              As mentioned in the above replies, start with the India Elephant AA, Peru Ceja or Colombian Volcan for a good introduction to roasting with beans that work well through a range of roast depths and roasting techniques.

                              CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Green Coffee

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X