How to get a sweeter filter roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a sweeter filter roast?

Had a play on a friends commercial roaster for the first time the other day. I was trying to replicate on of my favourite Behmor filter roast profiles but it came up short. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t as crisp and clean as I normally get. It also had a slight dry mouth feel, somewhat similar to drinking a dry red wine.

So roasting gurus, any suggestions for improvement?

Roast profile attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-12 Roast Profile.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	759468

What machine was it? Does it have variable drum speed and air flow? What was the batch size?

Comment

Good question, Diedrich 3kg. I don't think it has a variable drum, just on and off. It does have an air diverter flap control thingy (technical term) which I believe I could use to influence air flow.

Edit: Batch size was 1.5kg
      Last edited by MrFreddofrog; 14 December 2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

anyone ???

Comment

Not a simple question to answer mate, without having personal experience with the exact same roaster you're referring to....

It's not possible to transfer knowledge and experience with one roaster directly to another completely different roaster, especially one as different as the Diedrich design is.

Why doesn't the mate who owns the roaster help you out?

Mal.

Comment

He is.
            I just thought I'd ask the collective wisdom that is CS. I'm guessing there is few life times worth of roasting experience here as opposed to his one.

Comment

How to get a sweeter filter roast?

Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
              He is.
              I just thought I'd ask the collective wisdom that is CS. I'm guessing there is few life times worth of roasting experience here as opposed to his one.
              TBH you're possibly in the wrong place. The only roasters here with the right experience (apart from a few exceptions) are site sponsors. The rest of us are home baristas, roasters and hobbyists. Maybe try a forum with a more commercial focus like the Barista Hustle Facebook page or The Coffee Forum. Or a larger international forum like Home Barista.
              I have no experience whatsoever and I believe the Diedrich is a unique machine. So my advice is very general, but something I heard recently could be worth a try. Its sort of an adaptation of Scott Rao's theory - aim for a continually declining RoR (the Rao curve); increase airflow progressively throughout the roast with whatever means you have (fan speed, vents etc); and aim for a relatively low development percentage of maybe 17%. So you'll probably start with the gas on or close to max and slowly lower the heat throughout. Development time will be very dependent on the beans and batch size so 17% is just a number really. You could be anywhere from 15-25%.
              Just try some stuff I reckon, but just like with espresso if you want to change a variable on a subsequent roast make sure it's one thing at a time. Good luck, gotta say I'm very jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                Maybe try...Or a larger international forum like Home Barista.
                Uuuummmmm.....Home Barista only has 14,240 registered members. Coffee Snobs with its 42,909 registered members has over 3 times the membership base and with logins from 92 different countries in just the last day we are likely more international in scope as well.

Java "Aren't numbers fun?" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

what origin was the filter roast you did on the Diedrich and what was the batch size??

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
                    Uuuummmmm.....Home Barista only has 14,240 registered members. Coffee Snobs with its 42,909 registered members has over 3 times the membership base and with logins from 92 different countries in just the last day we are likely more international in scope as well.

Java "Aren't numbers fun?" phile
                    I didn't mean larger than CS, I just meant larger in a general sense. Coffee Geek is the other obvious option, but again I've no idea how it compares in membership.
                    Total numbers don't tell the whole story as active membership percentages could vary. Is that stat obtainable JP?

Comment

Originally posted by greenman View Post
                      what origin was the filter roast you did on the Diedrich and what was the batch size??
                      Ethiopian yirgacheff, 1.5kg

Comment

That depends on how you define active. While the numbers go up and down with the time of day going off the home page stats on average there are somewhere north of 1,000 people logged in at any given time here. When I checked the stats for my previous post there were about a third as many people logged into HB as there were here. Unlike most forums we regularly purge the membership database to get rid of the deadwood.

Java "Eyelids getting heavy..." phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

with my filter roasts I usually get to a vigorous first crack at around the 10min mark and run approx. 45seconds and then dump and cool, gets nice crisp acidity and brings out the fruity notes, a few days rest helps them develop.

Comment

What roaster are you using greenman?

Comment

Coffeetech Torrefattore 2kg electric drum roaster

Comment

Working...
                              X