Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It can happen.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It can happen.

    Without going into too much detail, my last roast was without doubt my worst effort since I started roasting over 10 years ago.

    Decided to roast two batches of 750 grams (green) different beans, my intention being to blend them post roast.

    The first batch started off well, as is my preference I had decided to roast quite dark, in fact I took them just past SC, so they were a little darker than normal and showing oily flecks, bugger.

    Set the second batch going and walked away, came back a couple of minutes later, the bean temp was still sitting around 20°C, whats going on? first thought, heat gun had failed, so bumped the temp, and kept doing so until I was showing around 600°, by this time things were happening fast, I reached FC at about 6 minutes, my normal time to FC is 14 mins then a further 5 mins to finish just prior to SC.

    So! what to do, I'm at FC in less than half my normal time, at this point I realised I hadn't put the thermocouple back into the roaster for my second batch the the display was only showing ambient temp, the heat gun had not failed and the roast was in fact roaring along.

    Thermo couple back in, what to do? I'm in unknown territory, have hit FC way too early, decided to back the temp right off and to take it to SC in my normal time of 5 mins, nope! not to be, the roast has taken off, I hit SC about 3 mins later, total roast time of about 9 mins, my normal is 19 mins.

    The result was a bloody oily mess, not entirely undrinkable but pretty close.

    I guess the message is, if your going to deviate from your normal process, check everything is set up as it should be, we live and learn.

    P.S. Just roasted another double batch this morning, much more satisfactory result.
    The failed batch looked a little like the pic below, far too dark for my taste.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Over roasted..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	763253

  • #2
    I find “like” to always be the wrong word to convey sentiment in these cases

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nickR View Post
      I find “like” to always be the wrong word to convey sentiment in these cases

      Thanks Nick, not looking for sympathy, it was my own stupid bloody fault, perhaps as well as a like button we should have a Jackass button.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Yelta View Post
        Thanks Nick, not looking for sympathy, it was my own stupid bloody fault, perhaps as well as a like button we should have a Jackass button.
        Don't knock it. Some of the world's greatest discoveries/inventions came about because of stuff ups. More than have been admitted to, I suspect.
        Instead of a"bloody oily mess" you could, just as easily, have earned yourself a legitimate claim to the Coffee Roasters Nobel Prize.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've done similar things over the years mate, so don't sweat it...

          Mal.

          Comment


          • #6
            Bumma Yelta, that is a decent amount of green in the bin!

            I find most of my killed roasts (total newbie tho with about 15 roasts under my belt) are hellishly under roasted due the Behmor's safety feature. Leaning into roaster listening intently for rolling first crack and as roaster drops into cooling cycle I utter a bunch of expletives and remonstrate oneself for not watching screen.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by roosterben View Post
              Bumma Yelta, that is a decent amount of green in the bin!

              I find most of my killed roasts (total newbie tho with about 15 roasts under my belt) are hellishly under roasted due the Behmor's safety feature. Leaning into roaster listening intently for rolling first crack and as roaster drops into cooling cycle I utter a bunch of expletives and remonstrate oneself for not watching screen.
              Just let it cool to the restart temperature and go again. You tend to end up with a very nice, very even roast. So nice that you might be tempted to incorporate a 'half roast' into your routine for beans that tend to come out unevenly.

              I've done a 'triple roast' where I forgot to push the button a second time. That roast I didn't care for. Mainly because it went so fast the third time that I overdid it.

              If you're getting err 7 regularly enough then you might want to investigate the afterburner temperature sensor bypass mod that lets you go again without waiting through the cool down.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OCD View Post
                Don't knock it. Some of the world's greatest discoveries/inventions came about because of stuff ups. More than have been admitted to, I suspect.
                Instead of a"bloody oily mess" you could, just as easily, have earned yourself a legitimate claim to the Coffee Roasters Nobel Prize.
                I'd very much doubt that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  I'd very much doubt that.
                  Google up "accidental discoveries/inventions". Elite company indeed.
                  I'm seriously considering stuffing up more often.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OCD View Post
                    Google up "accidental discoveries/inventions". Elite company indeed.
                    I'm seriously considering stuffing up more often.
                    Yeh, there's a bit of a selection bias here. We don't tend to document stuff-ups that go in the bin (or get you nominated for the Darwin Awards). But I am all for 'whatever works'. See the works of Paul Feyerabend.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OCD View Post
                      Google up "accidental discoveries/inventions". Elite company indeed.
                      I'm seriously considering stuffing up more often.
                      To each his own OCD, must admit I much prefer to keep things on an even keel, easy enough to get into trouble without seeking it out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When a roast doesn't come out right for me because I got distracted from the Behemor, the beans are unlikely to be binned.

                        They can used as sacrificial beans to set up grinders or coffee machine.

                        And if their "damage" is sorta kinda passable (usually under-roasted) they will be "extender". A few grams mixed into batches of the good ones.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by robusto View Post
                          And if their "damage" is sorta kinda passable (usually under-roasted) they will be "extender". A few grams mixed into batches of the good ones.
                          Not something I would do, I enjoy my coffee too much to contaminate well roasted beans with crap.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            Not something I would do, I enjoy my coffee too much to contaminate well roasted beans with crap.
                            Yelta,
                            Begs the question. What did you do with the "bloody oily mess that was not entirely undrinkable, but pretty close"?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by OCD View Post
                              Yelta,
                              Begs the question. What did you do with the "bloody oily mess that was not entirely undrinkable, but pretty close"?
                              Drank it of course, right down to the last, and grumbled all the way.

                              Have to say I was in heaven when the last of it was gone and I was able to roast a batch more to my liking, this mornings effort was infinitely better, even hot out of the roaster.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X