Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest bread maker ideal for roasting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest bread maker ideal for roasting.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has bought a fairly new model bread maker that is suitable for home roasting (continuous stirring for at least 30mins without modifications).

My trusty Sunbeam country bakehouse has died after 10 years of use. It had a handy butter feature that allowed me to run the paddle for 30mins straight.

I've read the manuals of alot of the current breadmachines available and none seem to have the same butter feature.

I'm not familiar with the other functions of a modern break maker, so not sure if dough, pasta, pizza options would be sufficient for roasting.

I've checked Gumtree but don't mind buying something cheap and brand new ($100-150) that will get the job done. I've also checked the thread with bread machine reviews but it's quite old now and doesn't cover any of the newer models available. I'm also not comfortable with modding the machine, I'll prob end up electrocuting myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by jjjones View Post
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has bought a fairly new model bread maker that is suitable for home roasting (continuous stirring for at least 30mins without modifications).

My trusty Sunbeam country bakehouse has died after 10 years of use. It had a handy butter feature that allowed me to run the paddle for 30mins straight.

I've read the manuals of alot of the current breadmachines available and none seem to have the same butter feature.

I'm not familiar with the other functions of a modern break maker, so not sure if dough, pasta, pizza options would be sufficient for roasting.

I've checked Gumtree but don't mind buying something cheap and brand new ($100-150) that will get the job done. I've also checked the thread with bread machine reviews but it's quite old now and doesn't cover any of the newer models available. I'm also not comfortable with modding the machine, I'll prob end up electrocuting myself.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I have bought two Breville BBM100s new over the years to use as roasters, around $100. Can't kill them (the plastic breaks down before the internals die!) and they are a really simple modder for constant stirring (think two spade terminals ). I think they have a 20min stir time for dough though if you don't want to mod…

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
      I have bought two Breville BBM100s new over the years to use as roasters, around $100. Can't kill them (the plastic breaks down before the internals die!) and they are a really simple modder for constant stirring (think two spade terminals ). I think they have a 20min stir time for dough though if you don't want to mod…

Same here, had one given to me many years ago by a fellow Snobber, still going and doing a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post

Yesterday my Kmart brand BM finally passed away after many years of use. Annoyingly, it died mid roast and ruined a 500g batch of coffee, lucky it wasn’t an expensive bean.

With that in mind I’m in the market for a new BM and am calling on the experts here for recommendations 😀

Thanks to the recommendation above, the BBM100 is on the shortlist already. Any other suggestions?

Having done a quich search on Gumtree (Melbourne) I noticed a Tefal BM. Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRocket View Post
          Any other suggestions?
          I have used and still do use the Breville Big Loaf BB380 for 800g batches and the Breville Breadmaster BB300 for 400-500g batches.
          They were both bought used from Gumtree/FB Marketplace for under $30 each.
          I would happily recommend them to any Corretto roaster.

Comment

From my Corretto making experiences you ideally want something that has a metal casing and a stainless steal bread pan. but these are luxuries that you can overcome with a bit more time spent engineering. Size of the bread pan is another factor and is up to you and your consumption. But, having said that, any bread machine you can find is perfectly fine!

Comment

Originally posted by barlo View Post
              I have used and still do use the Breville Big Loaf BB380 for 800g batches and the Breville Breadmaster BB300 for 400-500g batches.
              They were both bought used from Gumtree/FB Marketplace for under $30 each.
              I would happily recommend them to any Corretto roaster.
              Thanks for that. I managed to grab a BL from Gumtree today.

Do you roast with the lid on or off? This BM is much larger than my old clunker. If required I could put holes in the lid for both the HG and a chaff chimney, though I'd rather not if others are getting good results with the lid off

Also, where do you have your temp probe? At first glance, mid pan either from the front or rear of the machine in a horizontal direction looks ok

Comment

G'day mate....

If you do a search through this thread - https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...-the-beginning
                You'll find a couple of references to BL setups that work pretty well.

With ours, given that the top of the bread-pan sits proud of the machine housing with the lid off, it is a relatively simple matter to make a simple removable lid that slides snugly into position using the angled lips of the pan to hold it in position. Made the lid for ours with a piece of 6mm cement board and cut two holes of the same size at opposite ends to site the HG and the other for the exhaust.

The lid helps to maintain better control of the thermal circulation and results in much lower thermal losses and thereby requiring a much lower setting on the HG which significantly reduces scorching and tipping of the beans. This is further improved by insulating the outside of the pan which in our case, I used a fibreglass fire blanket wrapped around secured in place with heavy-duty cable ties (had some laying around) but other people have used thin fencing/tie wire to do the same thing. All this helps to provide much better control of the roast outcomes.

Re: the t/couple siting - I just drilled a couple of holes through the BM outer panel right through into the bread pan, displaced vertically and 12mm apart. This allows me to roast different size batches while allowing for consistent temperature recording.

Anyway, like I said at the beginning, there's a load of info available in the above thread...

Mal.

Comment

• MrRocket
                  MrRocket commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome info. Thanks
              Working...
              X