Beans blown apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans blown apart

Well the only way to describe these roasted beans is that I've blown the sh*t out of them.

I'm roasting in a Gene. 5 mins @200c, then ramped up to 238c until FC and after 2 mins I dump the beans. Most of them look good, but a small but noticeable percentage have the core blown out of them.

What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Paul

I'd post an image but can't seem to do that either

Way too aggressive in my opinion. Try something more like 225 deg and then back off at first.

Comment

Originally posted by thedubliner View Post
      Well the only way to describe these roasted beans is that I've blown the sh*t out of them.

I'm roasting in a Gene. 5 mins @200c, then ramped up to 238c until FC and after 2 mins I dump the beans. Most of them look good, but a small but noticeable percentage have the core blown out of them.

What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Paul

I'd post an image but can't seem to do that either
      Last time I used my Gene, I was using 228 degrees til first crack, dropping to 226 degrees at that time. For most beans that worked pretty well. If you do want crank it up to 235, I'd try to anticipate first crack and drop the heat back 30 seconds or more beforehand.

Comment

Agree with the comments above, also what weight of green beans are you putting in? I usually roast 200-250 grams of greens in the Gene Cafe. Maybe if you used too small a batch they got too hot too fast.

Comment

Thanks all for your advice. I'll try a lower temperature today and report back.

Comment

Working...
          X