Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time roasting Peru celva AAA - Beans cracked apart with crazy popper

Hey,
    First time roasting with a cray popper. Loving it already!! I popped the top and opened up the bottom for airflow. They look and smell pretty pretty pretty good. I didn't time it, will with the next batch BUT a bunch of the beans have cracked open...
    What does that mean? Is it normal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_524c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	764084
    Attached Files

I'm not the most experienced, but as far as I'm aware it's a defect in the beans which occurs from time to time. I haven't roasted this particular coffee so I can't comment on this one in particular. Just my 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJab View Post
      BUT a bunch of the beans have cracked open...
      They have not cracked open like that as part of the roasting process, they are just a Green Coffee fault called Shells.

"Shells are a genetic flaw, being the result of a phenomenon known as “false polyembryony”. Apparently.

GrahamK
      Last edited by GrahamK; 1st April 2020, 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammar

Comment

I call them elephants ears!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Heh elephants ears..

Are they ok to grind, or do I toss them?

Comment

I grind them.

Comment

Legend. Thanks Graham

Comment

They roast and drink fine, sometimes they will over roast due to their size but your's look fine.

Shells are really common in all the large screened coffees and more so in AAA sizing as they don't fit through any of the smaller grading sizes.

Comment

Thanks Andy for that. I've been roasting and grinding them so all good!

Really enjoying them though.. need to perfect my roasting method now

Comment

Working...
                  X