3yr old beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3yr old beans?

Gday all, so I’m just about to start my journey into roasting, got my breville crazy popper and I’m waiting for my delivery of green beans from BeanBay! I can’t wait !!!
    in the meantime, Ive come across a cafe owner selling 30kg bags of Timor Leste beans for $180 which sounds like a good deal, but they are from the harvest of mid 2017 , so a little old
    they are specialty grade q rating of 80 , so pretty good ?
    I’m just after any advice from you guys who know your coffee, is it worth grabbing a bag ? Or are they too old?
    Any advice would be great
    Thanks

Can't be answered unless you try them!

3 years is too old considering you might take another year to get through a bag at home.
    You also have to hope they were stored well. Most Timor is low grown and fairly average processing and no much to write home about when it's current crop (which is why it's rare to see in BeanBay). Price is good (about the freight price from Timor!) but don't get too excited.

Comment

With only a Popper, 30Kg of Green coffee is going to last a fair while, so while 3years old now, (so a little over the hill, although still viable) they are going to be quite a lot older by the time you finish roasting them, so you may want to take that into consideration. I can't comment on the beans themselves as I have no experience with Timor Leste bean, however if they are not to your liking, you are also going to be stuck with them, and as just starting your coffee roasting journey, you may want to experiment with more variety first to see what suits your palette.
      Last edited by GrahamK; 4 weeks ago. Reason: spelling

Comment

Okay, good to know
        I was thinking they were a bit old, and it would take me a fair while to get through 30kgs ! Lol
        The guy said I could come into the cafe to try them out so maybe I’ll do that , but I’ll probably give the 30kgs a miss !
        thanks for the reply

Comment

Maybe see if a few others are interested to join you and split it? worth a go for an experiment?

Cheers

Comment

Actually, I did think of that...
            anyone interested ?

Comment

location?

cheers

Comment

I’m in wantirna south
                in vic

Comment

Give him $10 for 1kg and see how it goes

Comment

Good idea Jackster, I’ll see if he goes for it.
                    they’re in 30 kg sacks in the pics but maybe he’ll let me try 1 kg first ?

Comment

Working...
                    X