Drum speed on a Behmor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum speed on a Behmor

I've watched quite a few conflicting videos on drum speed. Some of them say faster speed at the start and slow it down at the start of FC and some say slow at the start and speed up at FC
    I think I've read here that faster at FC seems more popular
    Anyone like to chime in here on a scientific explanation as to which is better

I use the fast drum speed when the burners are on 100% to limit the chance of scorching (sometimes I wait till beans are developing colour before turning the speed up). I usually leave it on 100% thereafter, because I can't be bothered hitting another button. Not overly scientific, I know.

Comment

Don't get hung-up on what others say, simply TASTE the difference.

Regardless of science behind the speed, the results in the cup is the real goal.

A higher drum speed will hold the beans higher in the drum in front of the elements for longer and apply more radiant heat (less convection) which will either be a positive effect on the taste of that bean for that profile or a negative one.

If there was a single correct answer to drum speed then it wouldn't be variable.

Denser coffees will most likely prefer a more convection to allow a penetrating heat, lower density (Island) coffees might work better with higher but shorter "pan fry" at the end.

Try a roast each way and see what your taste buds prefer.

Comment

The trouble with that Andy is by the time I'm ready to taste a roast (7 to 10 days) I've forgotten what the last one tasted like unless I take detailed notes and/or do two roasts in succession and then taste them on the same day. Also puck preparation can have a big bearing on taste which might be misleading as to whether the roasting had any effect. The reason for my question was that I have tried both and can't tell the difference. While they shouldn't I think most people who change drum speeds do it the same way every time regardless of bean. That's why I was curious to see what people do the most.

Comment

• Lovey
          Lovey commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a good idea to make notes as you go, they can be as simple or detailed as you like. That way you can repeat your successes and not repeat the failures.
          Last edited by Lovey; 2 weeks ago.
      Working...
      X