• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corretto too much heat in the pan?

20200520_202259.jpg Click image for larger version

Name:	20200520_202259.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	830044 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_23919.jpg Views:	4 Size:	237.3 KB ID:	830042 20200520_202259.jpg I built a coretto roaster with a 22 gauge stainless steel pan I didn't like the idea of roasting in the teflon or did I want to strip the coating and use the aluminum pan . The first few roasts came out good but now that I insulated the pan with a fire blanket and the warmer weather I can't seem to get it right I keep having to turn down the heat gun to keep the temp from going up to fast and i'm get some tipping. I know I've read people got better results after insulating the pan but I think it's hurting my roasts
    Attached Files

Do you have a vent hole in the lid of the bread maker?

Comment

• Scracker
      Scracker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I have a vent hole in the top
      My roasts are coming out good before I insulated the pan

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
    Do you have a vent hole in the lid of the bread maker?
    when I had my Correttto I had a vent in in the lid for venting chaff and inspecting roast progress with a long handled spoon.
    Adjusting heat gun temp as needed I was able to produce a profile repeatedly.

Comment

I recently had this same issue. I was roasting fine until i read some suggestions to try insulating the pan with a fire blanket. I've tried a few roasts with it and haven't been able to keep the heat from rising too quickly and I'm on my heat gun's lowest setting. I'm going to take it off because I figure it's just not right for my set up

Comment

I think you've just increased the thermal efficiency of your setup and are seeing the impacts of that. I do notice your heat gun is very close to the bread maker and you have a funnel connecting the two. Any reason for doing that? You could back off the positioning a it or remove the funnel to allow more heat to escape and therefore slow the rate at which the beans heat up. The bean mass will take on heat as a whole because it is being churned by the paddle. All you really want to do is get the setup in such a way that you can make changes to you heat gun (if you have a variable temp) and control the roast that way.

I have a blanket around my pan and it works fine.

Comment

• Scracker
          Scracker commented
          Editing a comment
          I do have a router control to vary the heat in the gun

• Scracker
          Scracker commented
          Editing a comment
          Most other setups I have seen on here the heat gun is closer then I have mine mounted

What size batches are you running with?

Mal.

Comment

• Scracker
          Scracker commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually roast about 350 or 400 grams the stainless steel pan I have is a little smaller then the standard bread maker pan.

Try running a batch or two at 600-650g or, if possible and you want to stick with smallish batch sizes, try running your heatgun at the lower fan speed in order to reduce the amount of thermal energy being pumped into the bread-pan. Either one of these options should work for you...

Mal.

Comment

I have very similar setup to yours and put a fire blanket on about 40 roasts ago, for no other reason than to insulated for heat retention .beans where good before and i did not notice any change after installing the fire blanket other than consistency no mater what beans i am roasting, as stated before lower your heatgun temp and increase the amount you roast .and i have notice a more even rize by not taking the cover of to look at the beans until first crack.

Comment

My roasts are coming out really good now. I removed the insulation and added an ext to the paddle so the beans are really moving. I think stainless steel pan I have really holds the heat well compared to everyone else who uses the original aluminum pan. Maybe when the weather is cooler I will need to insulate it but in the summer heat I don't need it. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. This Costa Rica tazzaru is amazing
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X