Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Bean Coffee Roasting Machine

Hi all,

I was chatting with a local roastery and I mentioned I use a Behmor and considering upgrading to sell locally, to family & friends.

He said he would sell me his old "The Green Bean Coffee Roasting Machine" which is what he started his business with. From what I understand it's a hot air machine, with a 1.2kg capacity, running of an LPG bottle.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

Thanks,
    Tim

Not many users of that roaster here but there have been a few over the years.

I own an older 600g version and it's a good thing, should be Australian certified (logo plate on it) and easy to use.
    ...but it is an air roaster so depending on what you are wanting in the cup it may or may not do what you want.

It will produce great looking coffee but often lacking the body that you get in a drum roaster (for the same bean, same roast depth). For milk based espresso it won't be noticeable but for a more traditional double shot you would take the drum roasts any day.

Best bet would be to ask the seller if you can do a couple of roasts on it, use a known good bean and do a side by side comparison after a couple of days degassing.

If you are googling, try "sonfresco" as that is what it was sold as in the USA.

Let us know how you go!

Comment

Great information Andy. Thanks for explaining the taste differences between air and drum roasting!

Comment

• Andy
        Andy commented
        Editing a comment
        ...my opinion only... (but based on a few years of industry experience and my own experimentation)

Not trying to start a religious war which is what happens when you type something like that about air roasting.

• saeco_user
        saeco_user commented
        Editing a comment
        Just curious, is "fluid-bed" roasting just another name for air roasting or is it slightly different technology? How does a Corretto fit in? (Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.)

Just curious, is "fluid-bed" roasting just another name for air roasting or is it slightly different technology? How does a Corretto fit in? (Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.)
      Fluid bed roasting typically describes any roaster that uses air for heat and agitation (ie: lifts the beans with air).
      • Dog-bowl stirred with a wooden spoon and using a heatgun -- is not a fluid-bed roaster
      • Popcorn machine that lifts the beans with hot air -- is a fluid bed roaster

Comment

From some recent research there’s a school of thought that air/fluid bed roasters are equally capable of producing high quality roasts as drum roasters. In fact they may even be more capable as shown by the likes of the Kaffelogic Nano 7 and Loring to a certain extent. The issue isn’t so much the way the heat is supplied it’s other features of the roaster and the way they are used. For the most part commercial fluid bed roasters are built for ease of use and economy and end up being used in a set and forget manner. Loring have shown that if you provide the appropriate level of control that anything is possible. Infrared radiant heat is the next big thing to look out for in coffee roasting.

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Loring is not a fluid-bed roaster.
          Infrared radiant heat has been around for a long long time (Diedrich IR series for one).
          ...and there is a school of thought that the earth is flat... still!

Thanks very much everyone for your feedack. Andy it's always so impressive when you provide honest information, even if it's not a machine you sell.

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheers.
          We don't actually "sell" anything. We put stuff in BeanBay that people want to buy and will tell them it exists but have never wanted a sales team to shove it down anyone's neck.
      Working...
      X