Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Beans after Roast

Hi all,
    How’s everybody cooling their beans after roasting? I had the thought of using an exhaust fan in a bucket with the beans in a colander over the top. Has anyone done something like this or would recommend anything else?

Yep, that would work, here's a shot of my cooler, I use a gem sieve rather than a colander, its a 20 litre bucket with an exhaust fan mounted in the bottom, cools very quickly.?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0280_1000x669.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	831556

Comment

• Dimal
      Dimal commented
      Editing a comment
      Same as mine, works a treat.
      Beans are cooled to ambient temp. in less than a minute... 8-)

What size exhaust fan is it?
    I can get a 250 one tomorrow but wasn’t sure if a 200 might be better suited to a large bucket like yours.

Comment

• Yelta
      Yelta commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure of the size of my fan, not critical, I would probably go for the bigger one, as long as it will fit, the more air you move the faster the beans will cool.

I’ve got something very similar to Yelta. Probably ripped off his design actually. I have a pail bucket from Bunnings and then got an exhaust fan that just fit right into the top, cut holes just like Yelts and then got a sieve off eBay. The sieve fit right in snug with the exhaust fan bolts and sits level. Was just using a pedestal fan before. Exhaust fan is much much better.

Comment

Originally posted by miller0 View Post
      Has anyone done something like this or would recommend anything else?
      This is the exact method I use and it works great. It cools 500g batches in a few minutes.
      If you’re buying from Bunnings you can physically check the fan diameter matches up when you’re in there.

Comment

Mine is the same concept as above. I use an old pasta strainer Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200619_140456.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	831599
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dimmy View Post
          Mine is the same concept as above. I use an old pasta strainer Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200619_140456.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	831599
          Ooh that looks slick, the roast looks nice too!

Comment

• dimmy
            dimmy commented
            Editing a comment
            Combined roast of 3 different beans.

Just FYI, IKEA sell a pasta strainer for around $13 .

Comment

Working...
          X