Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting Decaf Wow on Behmor

Hi fellow coffee snobs,

I am a total newbie with roasting and have only been using a popper for the past couple of months with Indian and Colombian beans which have tasted great. I decided to make the leap into my first roaster so I purchased the new Behmor AB 1600+ and just received it today.

I have read that roasting decaf can be hard compared to other roastas. I don't drink decaf but bought it for my parents and want to give them a great tasting cup. Does anyone have a roasting profile suggestion for the Decaf Wow beans from beanbay? I am a bit worried I will stuff it up as I don't even know how to use the machine to its full potential yet. Appreciate any tips.

Thanks

This would be a great use of the site's search function (Upper right corner area of every page.) as there are a number of discussions on the topic. Use the advanced option, search for "decaf wow" only in titles and only in the Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas forum and sort by topic.

Java "Yields a manageable number" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I would suggest you start roasting with the Indian Elephant Hills, a great bean to learn on and then switch to decaf.

Learning to roast on a new roaster with Decaf is asking for unnecessary stress. Get yourself a good baseline with the Elephant and then copy that for the decaf and it should be pretty close with maybe a tweak or two based on taste.

Enjoy the learning.

Comment

• witherz
        witherz commented
        Editing a comment
        Andy, are there any changes with the new AB vs the 1600 plus that would significantly change how the profiles worked? Just wondering if recommending something that works well on the 1600 plus will translate fairly well for the AB.

• Andy
        Andy commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't compare baselines and profiles from anyone else, instead build and use your own notes, experience and preferences.

Different beans, different ambient temperatures, different climate, different tastes means you can never really compare someone else's settings to what you should use and you'll only end-up chasing your tail.

Home roasting is a leaning journey, take lots of notes on what worked and what didn't and you'll be producing amazing results in no time.

You are right about the stress of learning a new machine on Decaf. Might have baked my first attempt but will find out in a few days when I try it. I will continue trying with the other green beans I have and hope to get it right with them first before trying Decaf again

Comment

• Andy
        Andy commented
        Editing a comment
        Try some now (take some notes), rest the remaining for a few days and then try (take some notes) and a few days more. This will teach you what the best rest time is (0-14 days?!?!?) and help you understand what different profiles do to the results.

My first batch of Decaf tastes like ash so definitely overcooked them. I tried it again tonight by doing 100g p5 manual to FC and then went to P2 C D. I didn't hear the beans turn into rolling crack and tried to get back there by going to P5 again after a few mins but no luck so I cut it after a few more mins. Hoping this roast will be drinkable and next time I will wait until rolling FC before dropping to P2.

My roasts of the Elephant, Costa Rica and Peru seem to have turned out ok but I will test them tomorrow and keep testing each day from there to notice the change in taste

Comment

• zinga
        zinga commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like it is a machine issue rather than totally a newbie user issue so hope to try again once it is fixed
    Working...
    X