Corretto charge temp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corretto charge temp ?

How many corretto roasters heat their bread machine before starting their roasts? I have seen many that just dump in the beans and then turn on the heat gun. Most roasts I have done I do warm it up a bit before I start . On a side note I got some PNG beans on ebay and they were very good rich and chocolatey

Hi Scracker, roasting three x 650g batches, back to back, every 3 weeks at home using a Correto. Pre-heating is considered unecesssary by many. I always load cold greens at a BM MC temp of 40C and start the heat immeadiatelty from then - mainly for consistency of temp readings and becuase by the time I have unloaded and bagged the previous roast and ready to load the next, the BM is at 40C approx, as siad for consistency.

Comment

Not long after I started using a Corretto, I set up a temperature datalogger that I was previously using with a modified popper (before Andy made the Roast Monitor software available for all of us) so that I had some idea of what I was doing during the roast.

Ran a series of experiments to try and get a handle on the best approach to use, including preheating, starting from ambient, etc. In the end I gave up on the preheating as I could detect absolutely no difference of quality in the cup. With a Corretto, this makes sense after all, since there is very little mass in the bread pan compared to the mass of the batch load itself.

With a typical commercial drum roaster, the opposite is the case as there is significantly more mass in the drum than there is with the batch load itself. So, it makes sense to preheat the roaster to a point that allows a reasonable time frame in which to get a roast profile started and running, so as to avoid issues with the batch itself causing roast defects in the end result.

As a result, I have been roasting all my coffee in the Corretto from a cold start, since it only takes 60-90 seconds after starting up to see the bean temperature beginning to rise. The results in the cup speaks for itself anyway, have never enjoyed so much great coffee for so long since embarking on the Corretto journey. The best advice I can give, is to let the results in the cup be your guide and keep good records of each batch including the taste impressions to avoid past mistakes, repeat successful outcomes and even improve on past results.

Mal.

Comment

I only tried preheating my Corretto for a few roasts. I was very happy with my roasts before preheating and now that I have reverted back to 'cold charges' I am still happy.
        I preheated too hot for one roast and scorched/tipped some beans. I did not notice any flavour improvement from preheating.
        Attached Files

Comment

There are a few CSers who embarked on the preheat principle with their Correttos and are quite happy with the results and consistency in the cup, Matt of DesignByCoffee being one. I've just never found that the effort makes it worthwhile or beneficial in any way. Of course, experimentation is the name of the game and until such time as you've determined that it either works or doesn't work for you it's probably worth giving it a go and make your own assessment of its value. If I had a Drum Roaster, well totally different story...

Mal.

Comment

I always use ambient charge temp although I’m usually doing one batch each time I get the corretto out so it makes it easy to do that. I figure it’s the most consistent thing I can do since I would have no idea how much heat my bread pan is actually holding since I’ve got it insulated

Comment

Working...
            X