Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Static Electricity problems depend on roast colour/grinder and/or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Electricity problems depend on roast colour/grinder and/or other?

My Baratza Sette 270 grinder making a very fluffy grind and I am using their container to grind beans into and after that place grind coffee into my portafilter basket. I need to press it into my triple basket to get 25-27g. I still have a static electricity problems with some roasted beans. I did an experiment with PNG organic A beans: one portion I roasted to the 2-nd crack and a bit longer to number 9-10 in CS scale, and another portion roasted to 7-8 scale a bit brownish. The darker roasted beans had no static electricity problems at all, but lighter roasted had huge static electricity. I try the same experiment with Costa Rica A beans and got the same effect. Have anybody seen the same pattern when darker roasted beans had no static electricity problem, but lighter roasted the same beans had static electricity? Could this depend on the grinder model as well? I had Breville Smart Pro grinder and never had static electricity problems with any kind of beans, but my new Baratza created static electricity. I try to put magnet on metal parts, try to put a drop of water, nothing helps to get rid of static electricity.
    Any experience shared in this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

G'day! Yep I have this issue with my Sette 270Wi from time to time. As far as I can tell it's mostly bean dependent, and strangely opposite to you, darker roasts tend to be more staticky for me. I have a certain Colombian bean that no matter how I roast it, crazy static! But it's totally worth it as it's an incredible bean haha.

The only workarounds I've found is like you're doing dosing into a container/cup rather than basket, or what I've been doing is doing my dose into the basket with two separate doses. After I do the first 2/3 dose, I collapsed it (on the forks of another grinder haha), then dose the rest. Doesn't always completely solve it but it certainly eliminates a great deal of the mess.

Oh I also got the portafilter fork dropdown accessory for my Sette which did help a little too so that's an option, but may not completely solve the wild static journeys.

Haven't tried the water drops yet! Good luck!

Comment

• ilichev
      ilichev commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi simonsk8r, thanks for reply.Surprised to know that it is opposite to my experiment results. I need to do more replications. Strange thing is about separate doses. This is very complicated. Like you, I noticed that the first 10-15g go without static problems and than static electricity comes at the end of 20-25g dose.I have the same Sette 270Wi, but I do not know how to lover the fork (seen video about the screw, that regulated the level).

ilichev is it definitely a static issue? Darker roasted beans are likely to be more oily which may produce clumping and would explain why adding water has no effect.

Comment

Hi saeco_user, You are correct. Darker roast has some oily beans, but i did not add water to dark roast. Dark roast has much less static problems than lighter roasts.

Comment

Just punting something that I have pondered here. Anybody experiemted with a computer technichian style static elimnator? The strap type that connects to the static offender and other end to the discharging operator - just for experimental reasons. Staic is more of an issue for me during hot dry (no humidity) months, otherwise not a problem on the Niche.

Comment

• ilichev
          ilichev commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi noonar, Do you suggest to put my hand to the grinder to reduce static? I actually did it many times just to hold grinder, but it did not have any effect on static. May be the earth will help? Did you try the earth cable from metal parts on grinder to something metal earthed ?(or just earth on electric plug?)

I did get some static with single dosing. But now I've started giving the very smallest puff of steam from the machine onto the weighed beans in the cup before grinding – and it does solve 95% of the static issues

Comment

Hey ilichev , just found the most static monster of a bean I've ever experienced haha, Indian Monsooned Malabar AA, tried RDT and night and day difference! Wrote/writing about it here from post #86: https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...ge2#post840493

Comment

Working...
          X