Decaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decaf

Hi all, I have searched but failed to locate a post the deals with how to roast swiss decaf beans (just ordered the wow decaf from bean bay). Any links or tips for roasting them medium or medium dark, with a view to using them for espresso, would be appreciated, thanks.

I have an Aillio Bullet. not that I'm looking for a specific recipe, just more general guidelines.

I currently roast 800 grams batches starting at a preheat of 240 and finishing at first crack around 224.

Hhhhmmm....Did you search just for "decaf" in the title in this forum? There's a number of posts on roasting decaf in general and the Decaf Wow! in particular dating back over a decade.

Java "Search what?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

• tompoland
      tompoland commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, yes that's what I did but then saw about a million pages and waded through the first three which were mainly with decaf espresso as opposed to roasting. My search skills (and patience) could probably use a tune up.

• Javaphile
      Javaphile commented
      Editing a comment
      If you got a million hits then you didn't select "Topics" under the View option at the bottom of the Advanced Search page, you also likely didn't choose the "Title Only" box next to the Keywords box. Doing so returns just a list of threads containing the search string in the title rather than every individual post containing it.

Java "Tips R' Us" phile

• tompoland
      tompoland commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, i appreciate the tip javaphile

I'd go a bit further than first crack on the Decaf Wow. Maybe keep your profile and drop at 228? See what you think. Andy's advice on the Decaf Wow page in Bean Bay is to to "Roast by temperature, not colour and just before second crack for best results." That has served me well on both the Behmor and the Nano (and maybe the Gene....can't remember).

Comment

• tompoland
      tompoland commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect, that's just what I was looking for, the voice(s) of experience. Thanks Barry.

• amberale
      amberale commented
      Editing a comment
      What is your starting profile for the Nano Boss?

• Barry O'Speedwagon
      Barry O'Speedwagon commented
      Editing a comment
      That's just the standard Decaf, with 110g payload, at level 3.0.

Originally posted by tompoland View Post
    I currently roast 800 grams batches starting at a preheat of 240 and finishing at first crack around 224.
    Hmm.... I see 1st at about 202 deg C via the IBTS on mine. I reckon you might well be going to 2nd if you're at 224 deg?

I'm pulling mine at 212-214 deg. depending on what I am doing with it. I'd be P8 F3 D9 to about 195-200 deg and then back off for development. I am getting great results in the 13-14 min zone...

Comment

Yeh, I was wondering how 224 degrees equated to first crack. This is what I have used most recent on the Nano (black horizontal line is approximately first crack). It's pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	decaf.png
Views:	53
Size:	683.1 KB
ID:	886356

Comment

• tompoland
        tompoland commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed, 224 equates to second crack. could not edit original post.

Thanks to all contributors, that's enough to get me started.

Comment

tompoland

Decaf’s always seem to absorb heat faster than other beans. I’ve found all the decaf’s I’ve roasted reach crack 3-4degs earlier and end up looking darker in colour for the same end temp so I always tend to just look at temp and not the beans mostly. good luck!

Comment

tompoland

oh so I forgot to say I generally use 20-30% less energy at the start to roast in the same time!

Comment

• tompoland
            tompoland commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know thanks GG
        Working...
        X