Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you actually want stiff froth + hot milk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you actually want stiff froth + hot milk...

I know the kind of milk Aunt Flo at the volunteer service produces probably isnt what most folk are after, but if you actually like stiff froth, almost dishwashing liquid stuff, then this may be for you.

Recently my wife bought some Pura Tone no fat milk (blue label here in SA, not the yellow one) and I expected it would be thin and useless for frothing on account of the low fat content. To the contrary, I found it produced so much stiff froth that on most occasions Ive been unable to incorporate it back into the milk. When I have its almost like melted icecream in consistency - very full body, but most times even a full boiler of steam on my Napoletana isnt enough to pull the stuff in.

So if you happen to be after that effect, and my wife likes it despite my assurances that microfoam rules the world, grab yourself some of this stuff and suds-away!

Re: If you actually want stiff froth + hot milk...

My sister made us some coffees the other day using some Safeway "Lite" milk...and was the stiffest froth ive ever seen.

I touched it and it basically left a fingerprint (rather than a hole)....she forgot the sugar, so i tipped a spoon on the froth towards the side hoping itd sink in so i could stir it through.....it actually rolled off and spilled all over the table (most of it anyway)...i just stared at my cup dumbfounded wondering if i had to drink it or eat it witha knife and fork.

Comment

Sounds like the same stuff in a different bottle! "Improve your jaw muscles - Pura Tone for cappuccino!"

Comment

I have found (in SA) the BD farm biodynamic milk gives a lovely smooth froth too. Must be because it isnt pasteurised.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1163040748/0#3 date=1163309523
          I have found (in SA) the BD farm biodynamic milk gives a lovely smooth froth too. Must be because it isnt pasteurised.
          Hey Lucinda, just a clarification, all milk for sale for consumption in Australia is pasteurised - it is illegal to sell any unpasteurised milk or cheese products under our health regulations (an exception to this Roquefort cheese and some euro hard cheeses which have a special dispensation for import under country of origin). Biodynamic refers to the farming and herd management aspects, the milk is also not homogenised, so it has the natural split of cream and milk, ie not blended together or messed with, beyond the pasteurising heat treatment.

There used to be a company in QLD that produced a milk bath product called Cleopatras which was pretty much the only loophole to getting around pasteurisation, in that it was sold as a beauty treatment, not for consumption. That and having a friend called Daisy in the backyard!!!!

Polly Dairy industry policy R-Us!

Comment

Oops my boo boo, I meant it is un homogenised, here they are anyways.
            http://www.bdfarmpariscreek.com.au/history/index.htm
            I have found the commercial milks are all starting to lose frothability due to the drought, not that I use it very often. BD Farm seems to keep powering on though.

Comment

Originally posted by Baristacrat link=1163040748/0#4 date=1163312940
              Originally posted by lucinda link=1163040748/0#3 date=1163309523
              Hey Lucinda, just a clarification, all milk for sale for consumption in Australia is pasteurised - it is illegal to sell any unpasteurised milk or cheese products under our health regulations (an exception to this Roquefort cheese and some euro hard cheeses which have a special dispensation for import under country of origin). Biodynamic refers to the farming and herd management aspects, the milk is also not homogenised, so it has the natural split of cream and milk, ie not blended together or messed with, beyond the pasteurising heat treatment.

There used to be a company in QLD that produced a milk bath product called Cleopatras which was pretty much the only loophole to getting around pasteurisation, in that it was sold as a beauty treatment, not for consumption. That and having a friend called Daisy in the backyard!!!!

Polly Dairy industry policy R-Us!

I remember them..up on the sunny coast. Have they gone now?

Comment

I work in a coffee shop and this is the skim milk that we use. We have had the same problems, with the unexperienced baristas making some very frothy coffees.

Its beaut for the babycinos tho - the kiddies love it!

Also I was talking to our milkman, because a few times a year for a week or so, the milk (both skim and full cream) go a bit funny.. and get lots of BIG bubbles. He said it happens when the cows go from grass to grain or vice versa, so Im assuming this is what is happening with the drought, as most are on grain now.

Comment

Skeeta!

Good to see you joined. Hopefully youll turn into a full-on, hardcore, coffee snob soon

Comment

Working...
                  X