Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold milk over espresso

now some of you maybe horrified by this technique, so you have been warned

i dont bother steaming milk at home, as i only ever drink double shot espressos... im more after the strong coffee flavour, rather than getting bloated on a cupful of milk. what i do is pour a double, then just give it a splash (and i mean a splash) of cold milk to take the edge of it, i then have to zap it in the microwave for a couple of seconds as the milk has cooled the espresso.

now, my question is, does the splash of cold milk ruin the true espresso flavour in any way? it tastes pretty good to me, and has a nice lingering after taste which i enjoy...but i dont want to be missing out.

Re: cold milk over espresso

I dont know about the splash of cold milk ruining the espresso, but nuking it can definately change the taste as well as the mouth feel.

Try doing a comparision by warming (warming, not frothing) some milk up with the steam wand and compare how it tastes to a nuked cup.

Java "Its all about the taste!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Or warm it on the stove then youve got no steam factor at all.

Does sound an odd mix...what exactly is the edge youre trying to remove? the sharpness of the coffee taste?

Comment

zakal1,

i find a straight espresso a little on the bitter side (probably due to the coffee im using at the moment, which will change shortly), so by giving it a splash of milk i find it gives a smoother taste...i guess thats the edge im talking about.

i prefer to drink macchiatos, but couldnt be bother steaming milk just to then add a dash to the coffee...im lazy, this is my lazy mans version of a macchiato

Comment

What about nuking your dash of milk for a couple of seconds then your not nuking the coffee.

Comment

yep, i tried that, wasnt as nice

Comment

Cold milk added to a nice shot of espresso makes a nice iced coffee as I found out a while back when I had a sore mouth and couldnt handle heat :P

Belinda

Comment

Ive been making a few more iced coffees that way as the weather warms up (plus some ice cream).

Comment

Quote from Thundergod " What about nuking your dash of milk for a couple of seconds then your not nuking the coffee."

Quote from Sluggo33X "yep, i tried that, wasnt as nice"

Thats odd that it didnt taste as nice.
                  One of our esteemed mods, is very keen on heating the milk in the microwave rather than steaming it, especially for flat white, (not if he wants a Cappa of course), he says it tastes better,
                  and I was thinking yeah right, but I have tried it when I made a Piccolo flat white, cos I dont have a 300ml jug and I wasnt going to steam a heap of milk when I only wanted a little bit,
                  anyway it was really nice.

Suggest have a few more tries at nuking the milk before you put it in the espresso, (I dont think it needs much time in the microwave), cos I agree with Javaphile that nuking your espresso isnt helping anything.

Regards
                  Bullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt link=1163650930/0#8 date=1163738925
                    Suggest have a few more tries at nuking the milk before you put it in the espresso, (I dont think it needs much time in the microwave), cos I agree with Javaphile that nuking your espresso isnt helping anything.
                    Nuking the milk changes its flavor and mouth feel as well. Some like and some dont.

Java "Let your tastebuds decide" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I only meant, as I said, for a couple of seconds to take the cold out of it.
                      Not to get it hot.
                      Enough so that it doesnt take too much heat out of the shot as it would straight out of the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUGGO33X link=1163650930/0#0 date=1163650929
                        it tastes pretty good to me, and has a nice lingering after taste which i enjoy...but i dont want to be missing out.
                        Thats all that matters really!

You could try adding a bit of sugar to take the bitterness away? Or pulling a ristretto?

If its the beans - Ive had some beans that were horribly bitter, just a straight out bad blend Id say.. get some new ones

Comment

Working...
                        X