Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Wand Tips

G"day to all,

Can someone enlighten me to the difference of steam tips. Specifically the pros and cons of the number of holes.

Re: Steam Wand Tips

Originally posted by Boldor link=1165628368/0#0 date=1165628368
    G"day to all,

Can someone enlighten me to the difference of steam tips. Specifically the pros and cons of the number of holes.
    Gday Bolder...

In a nutshell...

More holes.... faster texturing of the milk. But you need to have plenty of steam available.... There is also the size of the holes.... commercial machines (like mine) have 4 holes each about 1 mm....

Now if you have LOTS of steam (I have a 17l boiler full of water at 120 deg C just dying to turn into steam.... then a 4 hole lets it out quickly - real quickly..... enough to heat 500ml of milk in under 30 seconds. It textures the milk super quick but it is harder to get microfoam - one small mistake and you have soapsuds!!!

A four hole will need a machine with a lot of steaming capacity (like a HX) or it just wont cut it...

Less holes will enable you to texture milk with less steam volume, as will smaller holes - it will just take longer. With less holes it is also (generally) easier to get microfoam.

Comment

So, in reality if you only ever need to texture/steam milk for 2 cups at any one time a single hole is quite adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Boldor link=1165628368/0#2 date=1165629483
        So, in reality if you only ever need to texture/steam milk for 2 cups at any one time a single hole is quite adequate.
        Yep, it would be adequate. You might get faster steaming with a two hole depending on the size of the holes and the steam power of your machine..... But if its fast enough for you as is, then I wouldnt bother....

I got great microfoam from my Solis SL90- with only a single hole!

Comment

The single hole wand on our previous machine (Gaggia Espresso) was
          always adequate for two lattes.

On our new HX machine, weve had to attenuate the flow in the
          two hole wand to do similar amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by hazbean link=1165628368/0#4 date=1165630710
            On our new HX machine, weve had to attenuate the flow in the
            two hole wand to do similar amounts.
            It took me about 3 months to get true microfoam repeatably with about 250ml milk and the 4 hole tip....

It is just so fast and there is only one "sweet spot" where you have to hold the jug dead steady or it will errupt into ugly soapsuds in a fraction of a second...

Comment

Im happy with the steam from my single hole but was just wondering after reading lots of posts about changeing to 2 and 3 hole tips.

Comment

Good points, but yall have missed two very important variables - the angle of the holes and their diameter. Generally, you want the holes to point at least slightly forward. Some tips pretty much shoot out steam horizontally and are difficult to work with because when you get some of the holes in the right position to get the milk swirling, the other holes are spraying milk in your face and across the walls ;P The diameter of the holes controls how much steam is let out. So if you had four 0.1mm diameter holes, you would probably get less steam that one 2mm diameter hole. The total amount of steam let out needs to be matched to the size of your machines boiler ... well, at least insofar as avoiding having all of your steam let out in the first two seconds, then having no steam left to finish.

Java, I used a faema E-98 a few months ago, which I presume is quite similar to a cimbali - given that cimbali owns faema, and the steam tip was pretty forgiving. Have you looked into alternate tips?

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1165628368/0#7 date=1165671706
                  Java, I used a faema E-98 a few months ago, which I presume is quite similar to a cimbali - given that cimbali owns faema, and the steam tip was pretty forgiving. Have you looked into alternate tips?
                  Cheers,
                  Luca
                  Hi Luca,

I dont have any problem at all using the standard tip with a "normal" quantity of milk and matching jug.... i.e. something like 350-500ml minimum. And a half full 1.5l is a breeze.... Its just the really small volumes of milk which prove tricky (and who - in their right mind?- would use a commercial machine for that!!)

I tried the CoffeeParts two hole - that worked fine for microfoam with small quantities but was rather slow.... and if I got used to that one and swapped back to the 4 hole.... unless I was careful Id be in all sorts of bother!!!

So I persevered with the 4 hole and have it sussed- finally. Id rather not be changing tips between a couple of lattes and 6 to 8 lattes - both of which I do quite often. I could put a different tip on each wand.... but I prefer to use the left wand ..... just call me fussy ;D

Just to explain - even though I have a fully auto I like to stop the extraction manually - with my right hand- so jug in left and using the left wand works well I extract and texture at the same time.

Comment

Apologies if this is considered slightly off topic, but related. I have a NS Oscar which came standard with a 4 hole tip. I think the Oscar has a 2 lt boiler, so has some grunt in this regard, and with small quantities of milk, it is all over very quickly. I have come a long way when it comes to milk texturing, but do still suffer from soap suds a bit - usually the result of a slight mistake, which once made, cannot be recovered from. So Im keen to slow things down a bit.

I have purchase a 2 hole tip from coffeeparts and am now after some advice regarding changing the tips. The original has never been taken off, and seems locked pretty tight. Can anyone confirm that to unscrew the tip I should be turning anti-clockwise? Any tips (no pun intended) on tools to use to get the necessary force to loosen the existing tip. The wand is on a ball joint, and the original tip is round (ie no hex for a spanner). Appreciate any advice.

Comment

TimO,

Yep, the tip unscrews anticlockwise when looking at it from the hole end.....

And if they are really tight - like mine were - a pair of pliers with some leather or other tough material rapped around the tip first so the serrations on the pliers dont damage the tip - get a firm grip on the wand and go for it!!

I got both mine off that way.

Comment

i get much better results on my silvia single hole tip then I do on the 5 hole at work, its just too fast, one thing I will say though is that I find it nearly impossible to get any kind of whirlpool with the single tip silvia, so any larger bubbles are hard to recombine.

Comment

Thanks JavaB - got it loose and am in business. Will report back on my experience with the 2 hole soon.

Tim

Comment

Ok. Have had the 2 hole on for a few days now. It is S o S l o w caompared to the old 4 hole. But the ability to maintain control is greatly improved. I suspect the 2-hole would be a much better option for a beginner. I did have some difficulty getting a whirlpool at first, but I seem to have found the zone now, and am very happy with the results being produced.

I am a little frustrated by the speed though - perhaps something in between the NS 4 hole, and the coffeeparts 2 hole would be right for me.

Tim

Comment

I know what your all talking about I had a Sunbeam EM6910 with one hole worked great on full cream but not as good with skim, now I have a Faema E98 which has 4 holes that come off at a angle and the quality is reversed skim is now good and the full cream is suffering I use a 600ml jug half full, it appears the jug I got with the Faema is the same size as my other 600ml jug in height but is a larger diameter at the bottom which I think the milk goes a little better in that new jug. Any tips on Jug size ,brand and diameter. I will check other topics just thought I would mention it here.

Comment

Working...
                              X