Advice for a newbie on a Sunbeam 6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a newbie on a Sunbeam 6910

Just got a 6910 and havent had much luck with the milk foamer, too hot too quick not enough foam, its like a turbo charged compared to my old Breville....grrrr
    Anyone out there with this machine and how to get the perfect foam?

Cheers
    Strawdog

Re: Advice for a newbie on a Sunbeam 6910

Hi Strawdog,

I had similar frustration when I first replaced my old Breville with Silvia.
    Silvia was so much faster, that initially I didnt seem to have time to get it right.

I havent used either of the Sunbeam 6900 or 6910, but 6910 is reported to have strong steam power, which I expect would be like Silvia.

Bit of practice and you will be on top of the process.

However a couple of things might help;
    - refrigerate your jug, slows the process down slightly, I keep mine in fridge all the time now,
    - be aware that a lot of milk around now is performing poorly due to the drought, occasionally you might just have a bad batch of milk, doesnt mean its off, just lacking due to the stress on the cows,
    - try one of the lite milks, but check that it is one with added skim milk powder, and not just watered down full cream milk,
    - if you really detest the thought of lite milk, then try half full cream and half lite, or add some skim milk to full cream,
    - if your only using a 300 ml jug, and have access to a 600 ml jug a couple of practices with the bigger jug will help cos it takes longer to steam the bigger volume,
    - Usual technique is to start with the wand just under, but near the surface, and near the edge of the jug, steam to get milk swirling in the jug, (and this is the bit that happens fairly quickly)
    - lower jug slightly till you hear the slurping, or tearing or stretching sound, which is air being sucked into the milk,
    - experiment with the angle of the jug so that the steam wand is around say 45 deg to milk surface,
    - when sufficient foam is generated lift jug slightly to heat rest of milk, ensuring the milk is swirling around in the jug, angle of jug isnt so important now,
    - a milk thermometer is also usefull to help with consistent results, generally I will raise the jug to stop stretching the milk around 30-40 deg C, depending on how the foam looks, and heat to about 60 deg.

If its any consolation, we also have a large boiler here at the office which we can steam milk with, using a 600 ml jug it takes what seems like about 10 seconds to get to 60 deg, so now I find Silvia is not very fast in comparison.....

As always, practice will make the difference,
    the journey is often as important as the destination.

Regards
    Bullitt

Comment

One other thing, dont know if they have any sort of plastic froth enhancer on the steam wand, if so take it off and put it in the bin first, before you do anything else.

Comment

Bullitt, Sunbeam EM6900 and EM6910 do not have froth enhancers. Theyre even better than Silvias steam wand Ball jointed, nice and thick.....just not enough power imho...but then again Im used to using 19L boiler steaming monsters

Comment

I think I have the em6910 milk frothing down to a T!!!

Got the angle just right and can stretch the milk really well.

It did take a lot of practice

Comment

Actually I had a Breville 800 for about 3 weeks! Ya needed a good book while steaming with that thing! Cud prob boil an egg while waiting almost. Lasted about 3 weeks then got a em6900 and now have the em6910.

Even with the em6910 its good to have tv on...

I too find the em6910 can produce very silky milk got for latte art! (see my pic hehe). I just moderately create mini bubbles till milk 80 degs F, then put tip just below surface so no more bubbles, creates mini whirlpool, then bring temp to 165 degs F.

Putting the steam wand right down in the jug doesnt work well with the sunbeam, as it doesnt have enough power to make a decent whirl then.

Comment

John - you have to up the steam temp by 10 degrees and go for -.1 or -.2 on the pump duration/recovery setting to get the thing really honking - and it does then.

Cheers

Comment

Yes yes have done that, tho if you were to put wand 2 inches below surface milk it still wudnt whirl, but does whirl at (or just below) milk surface.

Comment

..which is where you want it..ie at or just below. I have not taken any notice of what it does an inch or 2 under and will try and let you know what mine does.

Cheers mate.

Comment

mate - just made a large Late. I used Lite soy in the large stainless container that they sent me with the EM6910 although I think some shipped with the smaller one. Anyway I used a bit more milk than I needed and put the nozzle an inch under and it does swirl well...but to get good micofoam it needs to slurp air a little hence I have it at an angle with about 7mm or so on the back side in and the side closest to me on the surface...if that makes sense. Yet again a great shot from this machine and great foam - the Pullman tamper gives excellent consistency.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1167810251/0#6 date=1172529099
                      John - you have to up the steam temp by 10 degrees and go for -.1 or -.2 on the pump duration/recovery setting to get the thing really honking - and it does then.

Cheers
                      I changed my settings last night to -0.1 (to get wetter steam) and then +10 on the temp. Seems like moving from a 2L to a V8...it cranks now Yahoo!

Comment

Good news saambo.

A big difference from such a slight adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                        X