No announcement yet.

What Milk creates the best froth/foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Milk creates the best froth/foam?

We use skim milk all the time but notice most Cafes use Reduced fat milk for their milk based coffees. Is this because it creates better quality froth or is it just a happy medium between the skim and full cream drinkers?

Re: What Milk creates the best froth/foam?

I find if I must use reduced fat that Rev is better then others that I have tried. skim milk is quite difficult to get a creamy texture with, it tends to produce stiff bubbles I also dont like the taste of it in coffee compared to Rev either. Nothing beats full cream for taste or texture.

Comment

I use biodynamic unhomogenised full cream milk. It tastes better and froths quite well.

Comment

I agree lucinda. I always go for unhomogenised milk when I can for its superior flavour. It seems to complement the coffee better than homogenised.

Of course from a nutritional perspective raw milk is the best of all but illegal to sell in Australia. Though by the time you steam it I dont know how much of its nutritional profile would be left intact anyway?

If you care about the availability of raw milk in Australia more information is available at http://www.realmilkaustralia.com

Comment

Gee, dont know what they are on about when they say that untouched pure cow juice is bad for you, as I used to get a 2L billy full every Friday morning from a mate at work (his father was a dairy farmer), and it lasted all weekend, wow what a taste, and never did my any harm.

I wish I could still get it now Im a full on coffee freak, it would be great to have a real milk coffee.

I use just plain old milk past your eyes and homo guised, and find its not too bad, but still, could have better foam for those fancy patterns you see on this site. :-?

Comment

Originally posted by The Goodies link=1169547743/0#0 date=1169547743
            We use skim milk all the time but notice most Cafes use Reduced fat milk for their milk based coffees. Is this because it creates better quality froth or is it just a happy medium between the skim and full cream drinkers?
            Probably. I think that the foam separates faster in most skim and low fat milks than with full cream. Low fat milk also tastes slightly less watery than skim milk.

I think that the flavour and mouthfeellost when going from full fat to skim is way more significant than the almost negligible reduction in fat. Seriously; if you removed a quarter of a slice of cheese from a sandwich, you would probably reduce your fat intake by more than by changing three coffees a day from full fat to skim.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Couldnt help myself .......

1 slice cheddar cheese = 14gm fat *0.25 = 3.5gm fat
              Source: http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/healthyliving/nutrition/documents/dairy-fats-compare.pdf

200ml full cream milk (4% fat) = 8gm fat
              200ml lite milk (1% fat) = 2gm fat
              200ml skim milk (0% fat) = 0gm fat
              Source: none - made it up, assumes fat weighs same as milk, no idea how true that is.

Fat reduction over 3 coffees = 24 grams cf 3.5gms for a quarter of a slice of cheese (+/- variance associated with different milk volumes)

You cant beat the mouthfeel of beautifully textured full cream though.

Tim

Comment

Ive metioned this in another thread before but Ive found A2 lite and full cream milk to froth beautifully compared to the normal supermarket stuff. Not convinced I can taste any difference. But it seems more foregiving and less inducive to creating big bubbles if the tip slips out of the milk. Final consistency is very good. I usually use skim milk as it results in fewer tummy rumbles : compared to full leaded. I also found the A2 seems to create fewer rumbles.

The taste diference tho when I do step up to full cream is very noticeable, especially in the sweetness of the milk.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by TimO link=1169547743/0#6 date=1171358657
                  Couldnt help myself .......

1 slice cheddar cheese = 14gm fat *0.25 = 3.5gm fat
                  Source: http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/healthyliving/nutrition/documents/dairy-fats-compare.pdf

200ml full cream milk (4% fat) = 8gm fat
                  200ml lite milk (1% fat) = 2gm fat
                  200ml skim milk (0% fat) = 0gm fat
                  Source: none - made it up, assumes fat weighs same as milk, no idea how true that is.

Fat reduction over 3 coffees = 24 grams cf 3.5gms for a quarter of a slice of cheese (+/- variance associated with different milk volumes)

You cant beat the mouthfeel of beautifully textured full cream though.

Tim

But.. arent normal caps and lattes 1/3 espresso, 2/3 milk or 60ml of milk to 30ml of espresso. So it becomes:

Fat = 60*0.04 = 2.4gm per cup or 7.2gm for 3 cups, even less for skim milk.

So the numbers arent as bad. Just give up 1/2 of a slice of cheese  

Comment

OK; Ill bite - a normal latte is 210mL, of which 30mL is espresso. If you stretch your milk 20%, thats about 145ml of milk. At 3.4% fat (http://www.pura.com.au/downloads/Regular.pdf), thats about 4.9g of fat. If you had 1% instead, that would be about 3.4g less fat, which is about a quarter of a slice of cheddar cheese.

So I was wrong ... but it would be fair enough to say that if you removed all but a quarter of a slice of cheese from your sandwich you could switch three coffees per day to full cream ;D

Hmm ... lets have a balanced diet, then - half a slice of cheese on your sandwich, two full cream lattes and skip the milk on the third for an espresso!

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

This reminds me of a story that came back from some rich kids at my primary school who spent their holidays on a p&o cruise in the 80s. The ship apparently had a pizza bar where you could get whatever pizza you wanted, whenever you wanted. The story went that Lachlan (who was always a few sixpacks short) daily ordered a ham and pineapple pizza ... without the pineapple.

Im looking forward to buying my sandwich for lunch tomorrow and ordering a ham and cheese sandwich with a quarter of a slice of cheese :-/

Im sorry I started this. Just enjoy your coffee.

Comment

Any milk will create good microfoam......But not any "barista" can do it too.

--Robusto

Comment

I think we need an extra-dollop & a chilled fresh from the udder (which while illegal to sell as a food product, you can buy from some markets as "bath milk") option

As I understand it, 4% fat (aka full cream) is theoretically the hardest to froth due to certain chemical properties. If you reduce the fat content, or even increase it it apparently becomes easier as the protein chains will form more readily.

Personally I have no trouble with full cream at all, and since what youre looking for with micro-foam isnt actually a nice foam, but a nice creamy texture to the milk, then a full cream or even extra dollop gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1169547743/0#11 date=1171555312
                            Any milk will create good microfoam......But not any "barista" can do it too.

--Robusto
                            I agree. Soy UHT is probably the hardest to tame. But there are milks out there that are just easier to steam and get championship winning milk texture out of. All milk can become perfectly textured milk....its down to the capability of the barista.

Comment

Originally posted by beanjuice link=1169547743/0#3 date=1171159970
                              I agree lucinda. I always go for unhomogenised milk when I can for its superior flavour. It seems to complement the coffee better than homogenised.

Of course from a nutritional perspective raw milk is the best of all but illegal to sell in Australia. Though by the time you steam it I dont know how much of its nutritional profile would be left intact anyway?

If you care about the availability of raw milk in Australia more information is available at http://www.realmilkaustralia.com
                              Hi Guys

First time poster..

I have been following the benefits of raw milk, and was interested whether frothing would affect its qualities. I am about to try some raw milk this weekend and although i still would not have found my answer (re:frothing), this still may excite. I live in Perth Metro .. At this point, if anyone is interested in my ventures (assuming i make it to the farm this weekend to collect it) please feel free to message me.

I wonder what effect steaming has on claimed nutritional value

Comment

Working...
                              X