Re; Frothing milk without a frother??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re; Frothing milk without a frother??

I am new and have a question. I love lattes but dont have a milk frother. Is it possible to "froth" milk to make a latte if I dont have a frother?? Possibly microwave/stove?? note sure. Are there any options out there for me to try? Thanks.....

Re: Re; Frothing milk without a frother??

Hi renzandjo and welcome to CoffeeSnobs...

Latte type frothed milk (microfoam) can really only be produced with a real steam frother.....

But you can make something resembling cafe style cappuccino frothed milk with a small electric wizzer (for the want of a better name).... it is a small battery powered device with a whisk at the end.... most supermarkets etc sell these.

There is also something which resembles a coffee plunger... you put the milk in and move the plunger up and down to froth it... Im not sure where you can get these or even if they are still available....

But bare in mind.... neither will produce the true latte style microfoam.

Comment

Both devices can be found in "$2" type "junk" shops.

Years ago I used to use the whizzer type to froth my instant after first adding a few drops of hot water to just dissolve the granules.
      Then Id add the boiling water.
      I cant remember what the result was and Im not about to go to the kitchen and find out.

Comment

You can also get stove steam wands! Put water inside, heat up with stove, and presto...you have steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1176726993/0#3 date=1176734363
          You can also get stove steam wands! Put water inside, heat up with stove, and presto...you have steam.
          thats cool, never seen them but makes sence

Comment

Ive not tried the alternatives, but Id suspect that while the appearence of frofthed milk might be there in varying degrees, the taste of steamed latte may not.  

Steaming sweetens the milk, whle pseudo-frothing may fall short in taste.

-Robusto

Comment

Its the heating that adds the sweetness so maybe heating and psuedo-frothing may get close for taste but the texture wont be right.

Comment

Im a moka pot man, so for my lates/cappuccinos I do the following.
                Total contents of a 3 cup moka into a 250ml mug, 75ml milk into a pyrex jug and into the mickeywave for 55 seconds, finely froth the milk with a little plunger type gadget put out by Vittoria coffee, and pour the lot on top of the coffee. With a bit of practise its suprising what a good imitation of microfoam you can produce.
                The microwaving does sweeten the milk and helps hide the taste of the stale sh*t coffee Im using while I wait for SWMBO (non coffee drinker) to be persuaded that I need that grinder Ive been throwing less than subtle hints about.

Comment

before I knew I was a coffee snob, I used to be a mokka pot & microwave milker too.

But I would microwave only the milk, while the coffee was brewing.
                  The microwave definately sweetens the milk [provided you dont over cook it].

I would then get a bamix and give it a whisk, and it used to put a little texturing through it....then Id add the coffee.

I used to think this combination produced a reasonable milk................but certainly not now, since silvia has come to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by reubster link=1176726993/0#8 date=1176786429
                    before I knew I was a coffee snob, I used to be a mokka pot & microwave milker too.

But I would microwave only the milk, while the coffee was brewing.
                    The microwave definately sweetens the milk [provided you dont over cook it].

I would then get a bamix and give it a whisk, and it used to put a little texturing through it....then Id add the coffee.

I used to think this combination produced a reasonable milk................but certainly not now, since silvia has come to stay.
                    Hope you dont think that I m/wave the coffee too.

Comment

Microwaving "coffee" can be fun (and dangerous).

I discovered in my instant drinking days (dont say it) that heating water in the microwave and then adding instant, led to an eruption of volcanic proportions.

Comment

Vesuvius!!! Ha Ha yep, been there done that, got the scars to prove it. ;D

Comment

Kinda like this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95wFDdEkN9Q ?  I can see how this could hurt!

But in the waters defense - I think Id have the same reaction if someone tried spooning Nescafe instant into me like that  

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

Yeah thats it.
                            Only I didnt have a lab coat, glasses and gloves.

Comment

microwaves - right click and save

http://www.shinystudios.com/Microwav...atItDoes_1.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X