Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milk thermometer - what brand is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk thermometer - what brand is the best?

My 2 week old thermometer seems to be malfunctioning - its showing a temperature of 30 degrees C after being left over night, and the house temperature is probably 18 degrees or less in the morning.

So obviously the thermometer is cactus. And its never been abused or put into the dishwasher, etc.

What thermometers out there will do the job properly?

Re: Milk thermometer - what brand is the best?

Originally posted by tempestv8 link=1177289524/0#0 date=1177289524
    My 2 week old thermometer seems to be malfunctioning - its showing a temperature of 30 degrees C after being left over night, and the house temperature is probably 18 degrees or less in the morning.

So obviously the thermometer is cactus.  And its never been abused or put into the dishwasher, etc.

What thermometers out there will do the job properly?
    Lawrance, try undoing the nut that secures the the dial (at the rear) at the and then recalibrate it to read 0 deg. C in in ice water....

Comment

Maybe you can recalibrate it.

Comment

You beat me.

Comment

OK, thanks guys, Ill give it a shot when I get home.

As always, Im appreciative of your wealth of knowledge.

Comment

Oh, the nut at the rear of the dial on this thermometer seems to be for cosmetic purposes only! It just spins but doesnt do or undo itself. Drats.

Ive seen some digital thermometers for milk frothing on USA websites. Does anyone know where I can buy these in Australia?

Comment

You may well have the same $14 thermometer as the one I bought at Myer some time ago. If you hold the probe you can rotate the dial to make it read whatever you want - ridiculous. I have to recalibrate mine against my temperature probe every time someone helpfully holds the dial and gives the probe a good twist with a cloth to wipe it clean! :

However the opening post is still valid, workarounds aside - which thermometers should we be looking out for?

Comment

Did you put it in the dishwasher? Thats a no-no

[edit]opps[/edit]

Comment

No he said he didnt put it in the dishasher

Comment

You can buy digital thermometers at most cookware shops. Prices start at around $20 for a standalone probe type thermometer, which can be also be used in cooking if you want. Of course, if you pay more money you get a better made and flashier job.

Comment

The non-electronic ones are good (for me anyway) since they dont need batteries, are relatively liquid-safe and you can both check the temp at a glance and get an idea of the rate of change. Anyone know whats good and bad in analog units?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1177289524/0#10 date=1177759672
                        The non-electronic ones are good (for me anyway) since they dont need batteries, are relatively liquid-safe and you can both check the temp at a glance and get an idea of the rate of change. Anyone know whats good and bad in analog units?
                        I agree with you Greg,

A good quality analogue immersion thermometer is a very useful and handy thing to have. Speaking from personal experience, Ive always found the "Tel-Tru" brand to be very reliable, very accurate and super long lasting. Theyre not cheap though and you wont get much change out of $100 for commonly available units, custom units can be up to four times as expensive. Heres a link to some info on them,

Cheers,
                        Mal.

Comment

I have bought an electronic thermometer from a certain electronics store (and theyre not cheap either). It has a thermocouple and I find it very accurate and quick with reading temperature. It also gets customers poking their head around the machine to see what the heck the long thin wire is for! Just dont let them grab the end, though, otherwise youll have to sterilise it all over again! (like I had to once after a thoughtless customer grabbed the thermocouple to see how hot he was. Twit! : )

Comment

The cheapest thermometer is the human hand....

You want to drink the cappuccino/latte at a comfortable temperature and not so much at a designated, thermometer temperature.

So let your feeling be your guide .... hold the jug at the bottom and feel it warming.

Too cold so far? Dont usually drink milk at this temperature, do we? Keep steaming.

Getting a little uncomoftable? Any more and it would be TOO warm for the lips and tongue, eh.

Thats about right. Stop steaming and add to espresso.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1177289524/0#13 date=1178674818
                              The cheapest thermometer is the human hand....

--Robusto

I prefer not to use a thermometer. Hold the jug around the base with your thumb, index and middle fingers. Support the jug underneath with your other 2 fingers.

When is the milk ready?

Simple: Too hot to hold is too hot to drink.

Contrary to what some people believe, the milk should not be heated as high as it will go before burning. The milk needs to be heated to the temperature where the natural sugars in the milk best bring out the natural sweetness in the espresso.

The milk must also be at a temperature where the coffee can be held on the tongue before it is swallowed. When you taste wine, you allow it to pass across your entire palette in order to experience the full complexity of its flavour. Espresso is the same. If the milk is too hot, the coffee must be swallowed immediately without the drinker being able to experience the full range of flavours in the cup. The other option is to leave the coffee to cool, allowing the velvet blend of milk and microfoam to separate, robbing the drinker of the experience of perfectly textured milk.

In my opinion, the best brand of thermometer is on the end of your arms.

Comment

Working...
                              X