Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make perfect microfoam with em6910?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make perfect microfoam with em6910?

I bought my em6910 for three months already. My milk texturing technique had improved a lot after the sunbeam coffee course. I can produce good smooth textured milk. However, I just couldnt make a perfect microfoam.

I found my drink looks ok from the top (the white dot appears bubble free). But when u scoop the foam with a tea spoon there are little bubbles ( i mean the foam underneath). Not big bubbles, but small little one (like the bubbles in the picture). How can i remove all those little bubbles? I know it is down to my technique. Cos thats never happen with the drink in "First Pour/ Veneziano".

THX~~~~~

P.S: I dont know whether ive to clarify this, the picture is not my work. I copied it from some other thread. However, we have the same problem. Cheers~~~~~~

Re: How to make perfect microfoam with em6910?

Anyone knows?

Comment

sugilun - to me that picture (standard of microfoam) if it is consistent all the way through thats pretty good. however i can produce better intermittently. my thoughts are with the 6910 that you will never get better than this picture - consistently. Its just the nature of the beast! ie the steam pump properties etc.
      any other peoples thoughts on this line? (specifically 6910)

Comment

Cos in other thread, Wushoes said he can produce really gd microfoam from the em6910 (same as commerical machine). The only different is the time for the texturing process is longer. So im quite sure is down to my technique~~~

The question for mine is that, no matter what ive done, i still produce quite a lot of bubbles at the milk stratching phase. The wheelpool helps a bit to get rid of some of them. But the finishing product end up with many tiny bubbles. (I think the problem is the bubbles created at the beginning screw the whole product.) So my question are there any tricks that I can try to reduce the present of the bubbles at the stratching phase? Or it is just becos of my hand not steady enough so i slip all the time?

Comment

When you have finished steaming, have you tried giving the jug a bit of a swirl and a few light taps on the bench. This shouldbreak the majority of the bubbles.

I sometimes get these when I steam and have noticed that it sometimes depends on the type of milk - the age of the milk etc.

Comment

Hi Sugilun
            The problem which you describe sounds like what happens to me if something is not right; if the milk is old, if i stretch the milk too long or i stuff the stretching up, if i dont time my stretching correctly (in relation to the Silvia), if i cant get a good whirlpool happening etc. The result isnt a microfoam (lots of teeny tiny bubbles) but more of a macrofoam (bigger bubbles). This is a problem that still occurs for me, but with practice my percentage of ok to good results is increasing...Maybe a good approach is to read up on technique and maybe tricks relevant to your particular machine, and then practice practice practice. I got really frustrated a while back and bought 3L of milk and spent a whole afternoon steaming milk!

The picture you posted is mine from a Rancilio Silvia, which apparently has pretty good steaming ability (of which im yet to fully harness!) and apart from the big bubbles that appeared on top (over time as the photo demonstrates) the bulk of the microfoam was pretty OK (not quite the problem you describe).

You mention that you find it hard to stead your hand when steaming the milk. What i do is hold the jug by the handle by my right hand and have my left hand around the jug to gauge temperature and i also rest some fingers of my left hand on the body of the coffee machine for some sort of stability. Whatever your technique you might want to try leaning somehow on the coffee machine or benchtop to minimise unwanted movements. Just a thought! Also, i struggled to get good milk when i was using a big jug, so i bought a small 1 cup jug and it was much easier. The only other thing i can think of is that ive heard (and i follow the advice) to only fill the jug up to where the bottom of the spout begins. I think thats my knowledge exausted!!! Good luck with it!

Comment

Thx Sammy for your advice~~~Sorry for using your pic.

Can i ask u how long do u stretch your milk? To avoid lots of bubbles in the stretching phase, I sometimes stretch the milk for 4 to 5 secs. Is it too long?

Comment

did u remember that your milk needs to be quite cold? I pour my milk into the jug and put it in the freezer and use it 10 minutes after. I find that helps alot, and reduced the amount of tiny bubbles to a minimal, as compared to using milk straight out of the usual chiller side of the fridge.

Comment

Hi Sugilun,
                  Im not sure how long i stretch my milk for. Someone said that it shouldnt be stretched for more than 10 seconds (i.e. do it when its very cold) so i used keep an eye on the clock, but that was a while ago and at that stage i was still getting bubbles everywhere. I think i do it for maybe 5-8 seconds but am not really sure. My Silvia is sick at the moment, but when i get her back ill check if no-one else has answered this question. I guess it also relates to the volume and type of milk too and the power of the machine, so my numbers might be unapplicable. In my very unexperienced opinion, it sounds like you might be in the ballpark. Im not at all qualified to give stretching advice but there a bit of techinique involved (well, how far the nob is in the milk i guess) so it might be worth looking into that too, but if youve done a course then you might have been taught that.

Do you purge the water out of the wand while the machine is heating up to steam (thats what i do on the Silvia and i think its the same for other machines).

And Amberosw brought up something id forgotton about too, cold milk. I keep my jug in the fridge and pour the milk just before steaming. Ill have to try freezing, sounds like a good idea.

Good luck!

Comment

Sorry to reply so late Sammy cos i was so busy last week. Finally i can play around with my machine today. Made some gd coffees for friends today. All of them are quite consistance. And friends said they are creamy ;D~~~~ Still got a little bit of tiny bubbles. But im quite happy with them.

What ive found is lower the jug very very slow helps to reduce bubbles. After the vortex appears, then u can start lower the jug. Thats make better microfoam. Ill keep trying and see how it goes tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                    X