Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soy Latte

Hi

This is my first post so I am hoping I am in the right area. I love my soy lattes and tried to see if anyone had a preference for a Soy brand and any tips.

I am currently using Soy Milky regular and finding it bubbles quite a bit but if I bang my milk jug on my counter first to get rid of most of them and then stop these bubbles going into the cup with a knife I can get quite a nice rich silky foam from underneath. Is this the best I can expect??

Any tips would be humbly appreciated.

I use a Breville 800ES and my little lowly Grind and Spice grinder from Breville also. ( I can feel the winces from here ;D ;D Believe me I can feel the Upgrade-itis coming on)

Re: Soy Latte

Hi and welcome to CS handoverthecoffee!

Our soy preference here at home is Vitasoy Calci-Plus - non-genetically modified and made from whole beans.

Comment

Hi Dennis

My Mum is into Calci-plus and I think I tried it once but cant remember if the taste was different.

I cracked up at your script on the bottom of your post, as I too am attrated to shiny expensive objects. Unfortunately its "champagne taste on a water budget." lol

Comment

hehe, in regard to the script - I wish it wasnt true, but it is.

As for your froth and bubbles, have read of some of the threads in this section for some tips on how you might improve the texturising your soy. If you end up with big bubbles on the top, maybe you could try immersing the steam wand deeper and try getting a rolling effect.

There are plenty of baristas here that can give you better tips than me.

BTW - when I referred to Vitasoy I meant the UHT variety - am not happy to drink any of the fresh stuff!

Comment

I dont want to put a damper on your coffee drinking--but---
          did you know that soy causes males to die earlier and their brains to shrink? Womens metabolisms cope with the phyto-estrogens while mens dont.
          This research was done on, IIRC, about 3000 people and 500 autopsies comparing Hawaii and California--and the soy producers do not want you to know. (I wonder why?)
          Greg

Comment

Never mind the fact that soy cuases cancer, just look at whats on the ingredients list on the back of the box of most store bought soy milks; oil, sugar, flavours, preservatives. You may as well drink chocolate milk, at least that doesnt have canola oil added!!
            But if you must, Bonsoy is fantastic. Organic, GM free and literally just soy. Or you could make your own. Simply bring soy beans and water to boil, simmer till tender, then blend using an emersion (stick) blender or just a regular one and strain through a mouslin cloth to remove any chunks.
            It really makes you wonder why brands like vitasoy, soygood and soy life etc. add so much extra crap to their products.

If you cant find bonsoy look for something with (at the very least) no added oil. Theres no way to emulsify it properly while texturing your milk and your arteries will thank you for it

Comment

If thats the same as my previous machine, then it has a froth aider. I found that this gave dry, airy foam on top of milk.

I would advise trying it without the aider sleeve attached. There are some good guides around that talk about steaming, I think home-barista has a good one.

Comment

I disagree with the bit about people developing cancer, dying early, etc. from drinking soy milk. Every now and then the same beat up is reported as fact, be it soy milk, microwaving with glad wrap, using PET bottles, taking artificial sweeteners...the list goes on.

Dont believe everything you read in the paper.

To quote Lucinda from:

Re: Steaming Soy
                « Reply #9 - on: 15. Jan 2007 at 23:23 » Quote
                To set the record straight re the cancer issue. This applies to taking large amounts of soy supplements as Soy contains phyto oestrogens which is a form of Hormone. As the supplements are a concentrated form of Soy derived phyto oestrogen, women who have hormonal related breast cancer (there are different types) are at risk of accelerating tumour growth if they take these higher levels of soy supplements.

Things like soy milk or tofu are still safe. It is best to avoid the supplements.
                END QUOTE

Maybe thats why the Japanese, who seem to eat copious amounts of soy (I watch Iron Chef) arent dropping like flies!

I do agree with the remarks about the additives, though I think the answer as to why companies flavour soy is simple...to make it taste better.

My 2c worth.

Comment

My wife has soy and is VERY picky about it. She was put onto Bonsoy a while back and now wont touch anything else with coffee.

Youll find it in the health food sections of the major supermarkets. Not cheap - abt $4.25 for 1 litre! But I suppose you get what you pay for.

Try something with the other brands (those with all the additives). When texturing, keep going past boiling point and watch how it separates into its components - water, oil and a sort of tofu :P.

Comment

Originally posted by GregJW link=1205220298/0#8 date=1205229898
                    Try something with the other brands (those with all the additives). When texturing, keep going past boiling point and watch how it separates into its components - water, oil and a sort of tofu  :P.
                    Thats disgusting!

Comment

Wow! Your posts have shocked me a bit and Ill tell you why. My dietician put me on to the Soy for HEALTH reasons. I really only drink 1 soy latte in the morning and thats it, as I cant drink any caffeine after lunch or Im up all night. Thats how I got into great coffee as I thought if I am only having 1 it better be a great 1!

Anyway, I had to have a ultrasound on my breast in January this year ..........non nasty lumps showed up but ever since Ive been on the Soy I have felt extreme changes in the way my chest feels.

Your posts have given me food for thought and I am determined to do my own research!

Sorry if I got a bit personal, but when youve been through what Ive been through, you just dont care about the embarrassing stuff anymore.

Comment

Sorry Dennis,
                        Your disagreement doesnt change the facts, neither do the lies of the soy producers.
                        Hundreds of autopsy results and thousands of subjects makes for very good research.
                        The Japanese mainly eat fermented soy--tempe, etc.--not tofu, and they dont drink soy milk. Fermenting disables the phyto-estrogens.
                        I dont want to get too political here (or too strident!) so let me just say "read the research and decide for yourself". Google is your friend.
                        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregWormald link=1205220298/0#11 date=1205320886
                          Sorry Dennis,
                          Your disagreement doesnt change the facts, neither do the lies of the soy producers.
                          Hundreds of autopsy results and thousands of subjects makes for very good research.
                          The Japanese mainly eat fermented soy--tempe, etc.--not tofu, and they dont drink soy milk. Fermenting disables the phyto-estrogens.
                          I dont want to get too political here (or too strident!) so let me just say "read the research and decide for yourself". Google is your friend.
                          Greg
                          With respect Greg, any credibility backing your claims has an immediate debilitating factor ...

You fail to provide concrete evidence, yet you implore others to read the research!

If the evidence exists to damn soy as carcinogenic, then well point me there mate ... give me a google link

Comment

With respect, I made no comment about cancer, my comments were about early death and brain shrinkage.
                            30 seconds on Google provided the following page- http://reliableanswers.com/med/soy.asp
                            Greg

Comment

I hope I dont flare up things too much here, but do love this type of debate!

Greg, that website doesnt contain any scientific research. It does have a link to a bunch of obscure abstracts, the first of which injected rats with a high-dose derivative from soy. Those poor rats never drank soy milk. If they did, they might have had a chance!

I cant see where these articles are peer-reviewed either. Just because theyre published, doesnt make them right.

The author of the precis on the website referred to above, Debi Pearl, isnt a scientist.

Debi is an absolute fanatical nutter. She has written at least one book telling us that women were created to serve and be subservient to men.

Like newspapers, dont believe everything you read on Google either!

Comment

Working...
                              X