3-layer latte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-layer latte

Ive just started making coffee in a cafe as a part-time job cos im just a student. This is also the first time ive known about flat white, latte, coffee machine... and stuff like that. I need some help 4 my new job at the moment.

At the cafe i work, latte is served in a transparent glass, so that layers of coffee and milk can be seen clearly. I have some problems with making those layers.

As i was taught, i have to pour hot milk into the glass first, then hold a small spoon above the surface of the milk and pour black coffee onto it, so that coffee can flow slowly into the glass and stay between 2 layer of milk. In other word, what im expected to do is to make 3-layer latte: milk, coffee, milk.

The problem is I can only create 2 layers. When i pour black coffee into the glass, it flows through the milk-layer on top, then it doesnt stay between 2 layers of milk but keeps going down and mixex with the milk-layer at the bottom.

Could anyone tell me how to make a good 3-layer latte??? Is my problem caused by the temperature of milk and coffee??

Re: 3-layer latte

Cant help you sorry Tram. I have not seen this done at any cafe I have been to, if you learn how to do it let us know the method for interest sake!!!

Comment

Hey there!

Congrads on the new job. I know the drink you mean, some people call it an upside down latte!

It can be pretty easy to pull off, what you do is:

1 - Steam your milk for a latte
      2 - Pour it into the clear glass, leaving enough room in the top for the shot of espresso,
      3 - Pull your espresso into a small jug.
      4 - Very slowly, pour the espresso out of the jug, so that there is just a thin stream of espresso coming out, into the centre of the glass.

If all goes well, it will settle out in the middle third of the glass, and you might even get this great rolling effect it has sometimes, where the coffee cascades down the sides of the glass. Looks pretty cool.

Hope it goes well

Des

Comment

Something like this one of mine?

Comment

Re: Thundergrod

Thats it, Thundergrod!!!
          Thats what im expected to do.
          But i wonder if the layer on top is froth or milk.
          The layer on top i usually make is almost froth.
          I dont know if its right or wrong.

Comment

Thank u, Iconiq ^^
            Im gonna follow ur advise!!!

Comment

Its been a while since I did that.

From memory its chocolate syrup on the bottom, milk, coffee, milk froth and chocolate syrup pattern.

If they want you to make it havent they shown you how?

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1206631700/0#6 date=1206694131
                Its been a while since I did that.

From memory its chocolate syrup on the bottom, milk, coffee, milk froth and chocolate syrup pattern.

If they want you to make it havent they shown you how?
                thanks very much, thundergrod!!
                actually, the professional staff is away on holiday, the boss is always absent, so i get training from an amateur who sometimes makes me confused a abit.

Comment

When pouring the espresso component into the milk, use a teaspoon reversed and pour the epresso on the revered spoon - this works when done right

Comment

Originally posted by MarcS link=1206631700/0#8 date=1207094364
                    When pouring the espresso component into the milk, use a teaspoon reversed and pour the epresso on the revered spoon - this works when done right
                    I tried that today, but only managed to pour half of my shot on the teaspoon and the other half ran down the side of the shot glass, and onto the bench :-[.... I think ill stick to my regular lattes...

Comment

Originally posted by MarcS link=1206631700/0#8 date=1207094364
                      ... and pour the espresso on the revered spoon - this works when done right
                      ... gotta get my hands on one of those magical spoons :

Comment

Originally posted by tram nguyen link=1206631700/0#5 date=1206693732
                        Thank u, Iconiq ^^
                        Im gonna follow ur advise!!!
                        Any time mate, howd you go???

Comment

OMG! Thundergod, craziest latte ever!@! So want to try that

Comment

This is little understood but so easy. Heat, froth and texture your milk. Then, using a pallette knife, pour the milk into the latte glass. Then follow with the milk foam and allow a few seconds to pass before pouring in the espresso. the espresso will fall through the top layer to settle above the first providing the triple layer latte. The reason behind this is that the first layer of milk will have formed a miniscule "skin" before you have time to put the espresso in (through the milk/foam of the top layer) It will then settle on this "skin" giving your clients the visual effect they have asked for. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by 616774784A7B72606C707B150 link=1206631700/4#4 date=1206693545
                              Thats it, Thundergrod!!!
                              Thats what im expected to do.
                              But i wonder if the layer on top is froth or milk.
                              The layer on top i usually make is almost froth.
                              I dont know if its right or wrong.

oh it is wrong on so many levels

mate, if thats what you have do to, keep doing it until you start pouring awesome rosettas and wait for them to turn around and say

i think well do our latte like that ;D

i thought those coffees went out with mullets, fluro and snap bracelets.

Comment

Working...
                              X