Soy Milk?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soy Milk?!?!

A question for all soy milk coffee drinkers out there.

I picked up two cartons this week and was having a play with making soy milk based drinks.

Do you guys find soy milk in coffee taste like dried shitake mushrooms?

The whole cup of coffee taste like mushrooms!

hmm.....

Re: Soy Milk?!?!

Originally posted by Gavin1 link=1209862998/0#0 date=1209862998
    A question for all soy milk coffee drinkers out there.

I picked up two cartons this week and was having a play with making soy milk based drinks.

Do you guys find soy milk in coffee taste like dried shitake mushrooms?

The whole cup of coffee taste like mushrooms!

hmm.....
    Im guessing it depends on the type of soy milk. If you taste them straight, theres a huge variation in flavour from mild and innocuous through mildewed cardboard. My wife prefers soy milk for various reasons but wont use it in coffee or tea. If anyone has a good experience of soy in coffee drinks, Id also be interested to hear about it. If not, the best I can suggest is try a few other brands. The worst kind Ive tasted has been malt-free variants. I can list a few brands that taste OK straight if that helps. I havent tried any on the milk frother for years.

Comment

My preference is for Vitasoy, most there types are fine. The only one i dont like is the red container, its a bit thick and pasty.

For preference i usually use the Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite at home. When out the better ones at cafes seem to use in the purple or green containers. Most seem froth ok.

Bonsoy can be ok, but i prefer the Vitasoys.

The Soy Milky ones are also Gluten free.

Paul

Comment

Yep, the So Milky Lite is a great product - my wife loves it

Comment

Ocassionally drink soy once in awhile, and mainly stock it for guests when they come over. I must say it took awhile to get use to the taste but now I quite like it. I usually go with So Good or Vitasoy, but have just bought a carton of Bonsoy since everyone is raving about it. Havent tried it yet but at double the price of other soy milks it better be good!

Comment

My wife swears by Sungold Soy Milk. In fact the only way shell drink coffee is if Sungold is used. If shes really keen, Bonsoy is acceptable as a second choice, though she does like Sungold a fair bit more.

Good thing is that Sungold is cheaper too! Check it out if its available near you. They sell them at Spar - thats the only place Ive ever seen them.

Cheers,
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by benandfaith link=1209862998/0#5 date=1210066150
              My wife swears by Sungold Soy Milk. In fact the only way shell drink coffee is if Sungold is used. If shes really keen, Bonsoy is acceptable as a second choice, though she does like Sungold a fair bit more.

Good thing is that Sungold is cheaper too! Check it out if its available near you. They sell them at Spar - thats the only place Ive ever seen them.

Cheers,
              Ben
              If I see Sungold, Ill sus it out...

Comment

I am a regular soy milk user for a number of reasons and not only soy but light soy. I know it sounds terrible but once you get use to it is actually pretty good. Soy milk depends completely on the brand. Some can be OK while others are awful. I mostly only drink soy at home and have found that the light soy milk from Aldi stores is by far the best and also can be bought at a good price.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can buy Sungold soy milk? I live in the ACT. Do any of the big chains sell it?

Comment

I believe coles stock Sungold.

Comment

Thanks Jetblack Ill give it a try

Comment

Hey guys,

Here is my two cents. My partner is a respected barista in Melbourne, she is also lactose intolerant. She swears by the original Vitasoy (red) but also enjoys the calci-plus vitasoy (purple) that I use at my work. She says that Vitasoy blends well with coffee, where as Bonsoy "cuts" the coffee.

As a side note as a barista, I find long-life Soy is very difficult to use. Its very difficult to steam, and is very watery. The refridgerated "fresh" Soy is a lot easier, and produces nice micorofoam. I dont know if there is a difference in taste. Ill give you an update in the near future.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 063A37383D560 link=1209862998/8#8 date=1212710640
                          Does anyone know where I can buy Sungold soy milk? I live in the ACT.  Do any of the big chains sell it?
                          I recently switched from vitasoy products to Sungold Soy... its SO much better and tastes a whole lot cremier etc..

Mecca use bonsoy and they still serve the best soy lattes going around in my opinion.. but sungold is still my favourite.

I buy them off Dairy Farmers so Im sure youd be able to get it through them also. Its $2.65/litre

Comment

I am sure some of you may find the following disconcerting or maybe just something to be filed in the crackpot/alarmist file. I gave up adding soy to my coffee as I found I enjoyed a long black more (although they never last long enough!). This coincided with an almost immediate improvement in my constitution, although not a scientific or proven link in any way, I wondered what I had changed to make the difference and eliminating soy was the only thing I could identify, so I did a little research and was surprised at what I found. Here is a supposedly unbiased assessment if anyone is interested:
                            http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/soy.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 505B415A350 link=1209862998/13#13 date=1240982288
                              I am sure some of you may find the following disconcerting or maybe just something to be filed in the crackpot/alarmist file.  I gave up adding soy to my coffee as I found I enjoyed a long black more (although they never last long enough!).  This coincided with an almost immediate improvement  in my constitution, although not a scientific or proven link in any way, I wondered what I had changed to make the difference and eliminating soy was the only thing I could identify, so I did a little research and was surprised at what I found.  Here is a supposedly unbiased assessment if anyone is interested:
                              http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/soy.htm
                              You may need to read through that web page carefully.

Some of it is just crap, like cooking doesnt remove the enzymes that inhibit protein digestion.

Also the article states that Soy contains certain chemicals/minerals that do such and such but does say what levels are in soy and if that level will have an effect.
                              Remove a single chemical from a complex natural product, testing that chemical in health trials, chemical found to be bad, therefore complex natural product is bad is simply bad science. Remember that cancer study? People who eat carrots have lower rates of cancer. Carrots have vitamin A. Isolate vitamin A and feed to humans. Cancer goes up. Doesnt mean carrots are bad.

Other parts dont mean much, like 90% of soy is GM covered with pesticides which then get treated with chemical X. Chemical X is bad.
                              Look at VitaSoy or Bonsoy. Both use organic non GM beans.

If you think soy is bad, just take a look at cow juice.
                              It has been proven to cause juvenile diabetes in people who are genetically predisposed.
                              A scientist working for the Australian diary board found that there was a link between the consumption of milk and autism, diabetes and Alzheimer’s.

But each to their own. If you really enjoy cow lactate, keep it up. I know Id rather live a better shorter life than a long crap one.

Also what effects you may not effect others. You feel better off soy, dont consume it.
                              When I was young and fit I used to run 5 kms everyday. I tried for months and months to push past the 5km. One day I gave up diary. By the end of one week I was running 20kms. Doesnt mean that level of improvement will happen to you. The reverse might be true! Give up diary and find you perform worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X