Coles SmartBuy vs A2 Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coles SmartBuy vs A2 Milk

After having a few weeks of dodgy microfoam, thinking that somehow overnight my technique had slipped, I thought Id splash out and pay for liquid gold - A2 Milk - after reading recommendations a while back from other CSers.

Yes: it was the Coles brand milk quality, not my skill, that had reduced. I finally understand what other CSers say about cows eating different diets throughout the year affecting microfoam. Ill keep buying liquid gold A2 for the dry season.

Doesnt taste any different to me, but the difference in the quality of microfoam was pretty surprising.

Re: Coles SmartBuy vs A2 Milk

Ive recently been buying and comparing different quality milks and comparing the taste and results before and after steaming.

There is definitely a difference. Obviously each region will have their own brands that work well or not, but certainly paying a bit extra for quality milk is worth it.

While the diet of the cows does play a role, I think the other thing to look for is milk brands that use Milk permeate. From what I understand, milk permeate is a by product that is added back in to cheaper brands to make it go further (basically theyre watering the milk down. Not harmful or bad in itself, but it does lower the quality of the milk.

How do you tell which brands add milk permeate? I dont know. It doesnt say on the carton.

edit: I should say, today tonight did an article on this a while back and pura had milk permeate, while the more expensive farm house brand found in Melbourne did not.

Comment

Originally posted by 03010D05050B0C11620 link=1232928485/1#1 date=1232931322
      Ive recently been buying and comparing different quality milks and comparing the taste and results before and after steaming.

From what I understand, milk permeate is a by product that is added back in to cheaper brands to make it go further (basically theyre watering the milk down. Not harmful or bad in itself, but it does lower the quality of the milk.
      How do you tell which brands add milk permeate? I dont know. It doesnt say on the carton.
      Good one ACog. This sort of thing cant be scientific as taste is so subjective. I would be interested in which milks youve sampled. As per Intellidepths post,  A2 often gets the nod from CSers for milk texturing.

I treat anything reported in the mass media - particularly the post-news current affairs channels, with a very high degree of scepticism.
      This Govt Food Standards website article states that:
      The World Health Organisation body for food regulation, Codex Alimentarius, defines milk permeate as ‘… the product obtained by removing the milk proteins and fat from milk, partially skimmed milk or skimmed milk by ultra filtration.

That no-frills milk is watered sown is no surprise.  The label on Woolies Lite states that it contains "milk solids non-fat" which is likely to be Milk permeate and probably how most low-fat or skim milk is made.

I would be interested in which brands tend to texture better. Pura full cream seems to always produce bubbles and I can get better results from the Woolies Fresh Lite milk.

I imagine it would be somewhat regional too as milk purchased in Qld or NSW may come from different dairy regions to that in Vic. Would Safeway Lite be different to Woolworths Lite even though its the same company?

Comment

I spent some time a while back tasting each and every milk my local shops could supply both cold and textured in coffee. I found the two standouts for me were A2 and Norco. Although some of the others seemed to microfoam as well I could taste a difference - A2 and Norco being sweeter both cold and hot and creamier when cold but not so noticeably when hot.

Later I found a website that listed milks that do not use permeate and found both A2 and Norco were not using permeate (a while back so dont know now with Norco, still using A2 and it tastes as good as always).

I ended up on A2 as Norco supplies were not reliable at my locals (but it was cheaper).

I only did this at one time of year and did not take into consideration diets at different times of year. Other milks I tried which I can remember were Dairy Farmers, Pura, Woolies, Coles, some Pauls one? I think, and several other small brand ones I found but cannot remember names as well as a certified organic milk I found in Woolies (this one also tasted like A2 and Norco and obviously no permeate but did not texture well at all). Feel I am forgetting another big name brand in there? I only tried whole milks as I am not a skim or otherwise diet milk fan.

Travis.

Comment

The use of milk permeate is not done to "make the product go further"

In fact, it is generally done to bring milk UP to the strictly enforced regulated levels of fat and protein required to enable classification.

Here in WaitAwhile, for example, the hot dry conditions found in most areas in the Nov to Feb period, and the resultant drop in feed quality,  make it extremely difficult for manufacturers to maintain sufficient fat and protein levels to qualify their product with the regulatory authorities.

They therefore are allowed to supplement the product (also within strict guidelines) with additives such as Permeate.

As has been mentioned, milk from the same brand can vary in quality and makeup due solely to the seasons and sources used, as hard as the dairies try and stabilise their "blends"

Comment

Youre right in as much as Permeate is used to help with the standardisation of constituent profiles in various milk types but it is used to "lower" the Fat and Protein fractions, not increase them....

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...milk-permeate/

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 406D696568040 link=1232928485/5#5 date=1232956826
              http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/news/news-apr-08-milk-permeate/

Mal.  
              How uncanny; that website is remarkably similar to this one:

Originally posted by 62687D6A6A657177040 link=1232928485/2#2 date=1232933276
              This Govt Food Standards website article states that:

Comment

Originally posted by 6A47434F422E0 link=1232928485/5#5 date=1232956826
                Youre right in as much as Permeate is used to help with the standardisation of constituent profiles in various milk types but it is used to "lower" the Fat and Protein fractions, not increase them....

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...milk-permeate/

Mal.
                Actually,

if you wanna get REALLY technical about it, the milk from lactating cows is much richer e.g. higher in fat and protein than in non lactating cows, and needs to be balanced "lower"  while  Friesians have lower fat and protein levels than, say, Jerseys, and their milk needs to be balanced "higher"

Add that to seasonal and district variations, and "simple" bottling of milk aint so simple any more and consequently, neither is finding a brand of milk which will texture the same all year round.

Try telling that to a newcomer to milk texturing whos going insane wondering why what worked last month doesnt this month., when "nothing" has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by 484D50504841564B514A4049454A240 link=1232928485/7#7 date=1232966684
                  if you wanna get REALLY technical about it, the milk from lactating cows is much richer e.g. higher in fat and protein than in non lactating cows,
                  Well if you REALLY REALLY want to get technical:

Merriam-Webster Dictionary
                  lactate
                  Function: intransitive verb
                  Inflected Form(s): lac·tat·ed; lac·tat·ing
                  : to secrete milk

A non lactating cow wouldnt be producing any milk.  :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 506C716A606176636B60040 link=1232928485/8#8 date=1232974105
                    Originally posted by 484D50504841564B514A4049454A240 link=1232928485/7#7 date=1232966684
                    if you wanna get REALLY technical about it, the milk from lactating cows is much richer e.g. higher in fat and protein than in non lactating cows,
                    Well if you REALLY REALLY want to get technical:

Merriam-Webster Dictionary
                    lactate
                    Function: intransitive verb
                    Inflected Form(s): lac·tat·ed; lac·tat·ing
                    : to secrete milk

A non lactating cow wouldnt be producing any milk.  :-?

Actually, there is a difference between "lactating cows" (pregnant cows) and "cows in milk" (dairy cows)

Some dairy cows that do not re breed can be milked continuously for up to 3 years.

Comment

LOL.
                      I knew what you were saying but the auditor in me couldnt let it pass.

"Lactating" is a medical term and the dictionary clearly states its meaning.

I didnt find any examples of different usage of the word when refering to cows.

Im off now to look for a Farmers Dictionary.

Comment

And I knew what YOU were saying,

but the smarta** in me couldnt let it pass  

Comment

I worked in a dairy for about 4 years in QC, and youre right - permeate is a by-product from ultrafiltration (a technique commonly used to bring up protein content in milk for use in cheese making) and they use it to bring up the SNF (solids non fat) in milk to standardise it.  

I buy A2 milk for two reasons - I have bad eczema and it isnt as bad when I use A2, and it foams better when making caps and lattes  

Youll find that almost all milk will have permeate added to it at times, which may also account for texturing variations.  Organic, Bio-dynamic and Physical dont have permeate in them... Im sure that there are others that dont too.  Organic and Bio cannot be altered from the tanker...  Physical is ultra filtered milk so it makes no sense to put permeate back into it!  Im not sure if A2 has permeate in it (I cant find anything on their website about it)... but the texturing may be due to the A2 protein in the milk?

Comment

Originally posted by 62455F4E4747424F4E5B5F432B0 link=1232928485/0#0 date=1232928485
                            After having a few weeks of dodgy microfoam, thinking that somehow overnight my technique had slipped, I thought Id splash out and pay for liquid gold - A2 Milk - after reading recommendations a while back from other CSers.

Yes: it was the Coles brand milk quality, not my skill, that had reduced. I finally understand what other CSers say about cows eating different diets throughout the year affecting microfoam. Ill keep buying liquid gold A2 for the dry season.

Doesnt taste any different to me, but the difference in the quality of microfoam was pretty surprising.

Dont know about the coles milk, but we have only used Dairy Farmers (other than when I can get to the markets and get Johnsons Farm Gate from Over the Moon!!!) and from about 2 months ago is stopped foaming almost completely - like overnight!

Figured it was a change in feed.

Interestingly, when my kids were youger we tried Pauls/Parmalat/Pura and the kids refused to drink it. We couldnt taste the difference blind tasting cold, but they did 100% of the time - even before one could speak!

Am going to try A2 as soon as I can find it.

Comment

Over the last 2 days we found that steaming Sungold milk from Warnambool (I think) would not give any microfoam.  Pity because the the Farmers Direct delivery is a great idea.  Back to having 2 types of milk in the fridge.

Originally posted by 595C41415950475A405B5158545B350 link=1232928485/7#7 date=1232966684
                              if you wanna get REALLY technical about it, the milk from lactating cows is much richer e.g. higher in fat and protein than in non lactating cows, and needs to be balanced "lower"whileFriesians have lower fat and protein levels than, say, Jerseys, and their milk needs to be balanced "higher"  
                              This takes me back ... there use to be a saying that "throw a penny in a bucket of friesians milk and you could see the penny at the bottom - throw a penny in a bucket of jerseys milk and it wouldnt cover the penny"  

Comment

Working...
                              X