Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milk companies and which is best to use? price vs quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk companies and which is best to use? price vs quality?

Hey, ive just started with a new cafe and looking to revamp the place. Trying to get coffee sales up and a good name about ourselves obviously. Starting with good coffee of course. Ive gone with a local roaster but now im deciding on the milk. I have contacted the usual boys in pura and dairy farmers but have been hearing a lot about some other smaller companys in procal and riverina. Any thoughts on these? Ive personally used dairy farmers in the past and found there milk great, but have been hearing rumours about takeovers from Pura. How much difference is there between these milks, service and price? Also this froth-top business...companys trying to make more cash or is there something in it

Re: Milk companies and which is best to use? price vs quality?

Originally posted by 6C617B7C606B63617B7A66390E0 link=1238470329/0#0 date=1238470329
    Ive personally used dairy farmers in the past and found there milk great, but have been hearing rumours about takeovers from Pura.
    The parent company of Pura has indeed taken over Dairy farmers.
    http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2008/11/13/national-foods-bid-gets-dairy-farmers-shareholder-approval.html
    At this stage, I believe they mean to keep the existing brands.
    As for service and price, perhaps some of the experienced cafe people can shed some light. I would advise contacting the different players though and asking them what they can do for you.

Froth-top and crema etc. Get some samples and see if you find any difference. Surely the sales reps will have some they can let you have for evaluation.

Comment

The Dairy Farmers I tried last week was not to my liking taste wise.

The Aldi in the fridge today tastes OK (I hear its really Pura).

I suggest that taste should be the first requirement then worry about price.

Thinking about price first may defeat your attempt to get coffee sales up and a good name for yourselves.

Ill pay for good coffee (I drink flat whites) but wont be back if its no good.

Comment

Every time milk is mentioned I stick my hand up for Riverina Fresh, I must sound like a salesman. I have consistent results, I havent used a wide variety of milks however.

Comment

The only milk I will not buy is Pauls. I have never had problems with any other, and usually buy pura or safeways brand.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the help. Ended up talking to a few different reps, in the end i felt comfortable with a bloke my coffee company set me up with. He actually chatted to me like i wasnt a piece of meat, trying to just get money out of me. Anyway hopefully the quality of milk is as good as the service.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B564C4B575C54564C4D510E390 link=1238470329/5#5 date=1238653189
              He actually chatted to me like i wasnt a piece of meat, trying to just get money out of me.
              Those guys that can fake sincerity will make the sale every time.

Comment

Price vs quality.....I am a stickler for finding the best value. Since buying a good espresso machine at home I am going through a lot more milk than I used to. I have always bought the Woolworth brand 3L bottles because they are a good two dollars cheaper than Pura and Betta. A couple of weeks a go I decided to compare them all so i bought a small bottle of each and filled three small cups. I had a few people over and we did some taste testing. Everybody distinguished the Betta and Pura milk as being much better tasting without being told what the milk brands were. I have decided to spend that little bit extra on the Betta milk as it is Tasmanian milk and almost completely Tasmanian owned. It has made a huge difference in the quality of coffee I am serving/drinking. I can tell straight away now if it is not that brand.

Alistair

Comment

where available I always try to stick to local, high quality producers who care about their products. I really cant beleive that there is any comparison between buying 1lt of milk that has been crossed blended with over 100 (or in some cases 1000) other farms and then pushed through over 27 individual pumps and processing locaitons before being bottled, and that of buying 1lt of milk from an actual farmer.

I hate mass-produced coffee, i hate mass-produced milk. Simple.

Comment

Lately Ive been using Pura & finding it very hit & miss. I might get one or two good batches in a row & then Ill get a dud. It just wont froth properly & ends up all bubbly. I think its my technique but when I open the next batch, all is fine again. I wish these cows would pull the finger out & start producing some conbsistency

Evan.

Comment

I would urge anyone buying milk to support smaller producers and local farmers, not big brands and supermarket chains. Some excellent milk I tried recently was from the Pyrmont Growers Markets, it was Johnsons Farmgate Over the Moon whole jersey milk. www.overthemoonmilk.co.au. This milk comes from one dairy (not mixed up at processed at big depots like Dairy Farmers at etc.) I can tell the difference between this and Dairy Farmers etc with a blind fold on every time.
                      Most supermarkets are bleeding Australian dairy farmers dry at the moment with their massive buying power, farmers are having to work longer and harder to deliver more and more milk at lower prices. Another great milk I tried was Organic Valley from Macro. Anyway whatever you choose, think hard about your choice and support Aussie farmers!!

Comment

Dairy farmers are doing ok, dont feel too sorry for them. Prices havent been better for a long time. The only issue for them is the drought and actually producing milk. Sorry that it is a little OT but I think that it is a bit unfair to say small producer "good" big producer "bad" capitalism has its faults but it has gotten us to where we are today.

Comment

Hi pyrmontboy200.
                          I am on of those Aussie dairyfarmers out there working hard to make good milk for coffee. I have been hard at it since we came back from enjoying Wicked Sunday at Fed Square and I have not even had time to write about our much enjoyed Melbourne coffee crawl or download some photos I took of the great event. Being a dairyfamer at the moment is hard yakka in our region(Riverina). We have not had green grass for over 3 years and the cows diet is certainly different to just locking them in the paddock when the green grass and crops were in abundance. Our cows are fed lucerne hay. grass hay, maize silage, biscuit waste, canola crush and minerals twice a day at present in a huge mixing machine. Our milk tastes different at different times of the year depending on the diet of the cow. It also reacts differently when I steam it for coffee at different times in the year. Yesterday I got great microfoam for the coffees and the whole mik was only 2 hours fresh straight out of the farm vat. Gave me a real buzz. Other times I do not get the same result. We are getting 35 cents a litre for our milk at present and out of that we have to pay for the fodder, running costs etc. Not forgetting the NSW government who charges us for water we have not had delivered this year due to no water in the River Murray system for irrigation. Dairfarming is an expensive business at the moment. Some dairy companies are paying more per litre to the farmer than others with the world recession. Some companies are whoie milk suppliers and some are export companies. So thanks for the words of encouragement to help the Aussie dairyfarmers. We are a dying breed so to speak with an average age of 54 now. Those of us that are left here wonder how much longer we can go on with the drought in some areas and not in others. Tassie, Atherton Tablelands. Northern NSW, Gippsland and N.Z. look llike being the dairyfarming areas of the future. Unless we get irrigation water we will not be here next year. Sad but true. Anyone like to buy a dairyfarm down the road? Only $2.3 million wihtout cows. N.Z investment when the boom times were on. No water no income so there it stands empty and unused. Been on the market for 3 years now. Brands of milk are various all over Australia.
                          It all depends on the area where one is living. Just keep buying Australian milk and enjoy your coffees. Good frothing Herbie.

Comment

Sorry motocoffee but I cannot agree with your words. We are in the industry and oh how we wish your words were true. Makes me feel very sad to read such when I see my husband up at 3.45 a.m. and working until 7 p.m. 7 days a week at the present for a paltry 35 cents a litre for a superb product. How we wish we were getting great prices and doing so well. At present time we are just getting there. In our area the average debt per farm is $1 million. No one wants to buy into an industry paying a pittance for a great product. .....Never been so bad price wise. Yes there is the odd dairyfarmer making a killing but look deeply into the setup and you will find in some instances that they have managers on the farms and the money comes from elsewhere or they are many generations into dairyfarming and are not purchasing a farm, equipment or cows. Herbies Missus for Herbie.

Comment

Herbie, my comments do not apply to you as you are in an area with no water so you are not doing well. I have intimate knowledge of agriculture and I do understand your plight. This also applies to ricegrowers and horti farmers in your area. My comments were not to imply that you are making a killing either just that as an industry you were not being raped and pillaged by the "big companies". Should farmers be paid more for the quality product they are growing/producing, absolutely, is it restricted to dairy farmers, not at all. Look to citrus, wine grape growers, wheat farmers etc, unfortunately farming is an industry of commodity production and it is difficult to differentiate and increase margins.

Sorry for any offense caused.

Comment

Working...
                              X