Milk Frothing Problem - EM6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk Frothing Problem - EM6910

Im new to the coffee making scene and experimented for about a week to work towards making the perfect expresso.

Now i am using LaZumba Latino beans, grinding on setting 11 (EM0480) and beleive i have the tamper routine set (my shots seem to tast quite good) but its the frothing part that is failing time and time again.

I have tried full skim, semi-skin and full cream milk to no avail. I start of with the jug in the fridge, pour in milk so its just under the bottom of the spout (for 2 x 190ml flat whites/cuppucinos), apply full steam whilst keeping the tip just under the surface of the milk. After about 40deg i tilt the jug to cause the whirlpool and then keep it here until 65deg is reached. After 65deg is reached i keep swirling the milk a little and bump the jug to get rid of any large bubbles (not many).

Problem is the milk always comes out too runny and its impossible to do any artistry on the surface, its just a tad thicker then normal milk.

Any help much welcome.

Re: Milk Frothing Problem - EM6910

When you are keeping the tip just under the surface you want to make sure you stretching the milk (which I suspect you are not). To do this position the tip so you hear a chk-chk sound (quite like tearing paper) and expand the milk by 10-15% then focus on a whirlpool. Look here for a good example.

Comment

After you have turned the steam on, just lower the jug slightly until the steam tip breaks the surface. Youll hear the chk-chk sound as MM said. With your hand under the milk jug you can feel the milk heating. Once the jug no longer feels cool, you should raise the jug until the tip is just below the surface. Get that whirlpool effect going and you will soon have perfect milk. Good luck!

Comment

The Chk Chk sound is what you are after. I also have a EM6910 and find that The milk needs to be stretched until about 40-45 degrees, then plunge the steam arm just under the surface and swirl until you reach 60-65 degrees. It does take practice......and more practice. It did take me frikkin ages.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 5C4A494B5C4A4A5655564F5C4B390 link=1253366880/3#3 date=1253583936
          ...Chk Chk...
          :-X

Comment

You know what I mean........PFFFFFT PFFFFT or shshshshshshs or fft fft fft fft. The noise the stretching process makes.

N

Comment

Originally posted by 2E383B392E38382427243D2E394B0 link=1253366880/3#3 date=1253583936
              The Chk Chk sound is what you are after
              Originally posted by 2E383B392E38382427243D2E394B0 link=1253366880/5#5 date=1253615342
              You know what I mean........PFFFFFT PFFFFT or shshshshshshs or fft fft fft fft. The noise the stretching process makes.
              How does that go again ;D ;D ;D :-*

KK

Comment

I reckons its:-

shcrrrwl shhhhh shcrrrwl shhhhh shcr schr schrrrwl

personally!

Comment

yyyeah I like that one better

Nick

Comment

Mine makes a squealing noise, just like the pro barista at Donut King. Doesnt yours?

Comment

Originally posted by 2D2F232B2B25223F4C0 link=1253366880/9#9 date=1253670872
                      Mine makes a squealing noise, just like the pro barista at Donut King. Doesnt yours?  
                      My system wants to post in "Barista Venting" but I will not give it access... I just turn up the music... Just like I do in the car when it trys to tell me something..

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried it again following instructions and it stretched near the top of the jug. Made a fantastic cappuccino too!

Comment

Originally posted by 4F5A4D4F4C280 link=1253366880/11#11 date=1253700761
                          cuppaccino
                          :-? cappuccino??

I always used to look for it on menus. Always said that if they couldnt spell it, they shouldnt sell it :

Comment

Originally posted by 346B73656E6569606063636B6768060 link=1253366880/12#12 date=1253700954
                            Gregd wrote on Today at 8:12pm:
                            cuppaccino

cappuccino??

I always used to look for it on menus. Always said that if they couldnt spell it, they shouldnt sell it

but 2MCM, by insisting on cappuccino you rob us of the wonderfully Strine plural construction, "two cups of cino, ploise".

Comment

Ah, doesnt matter how you spell it, its what it tastes like that counts. Speaking of which i made a couple more "cappuccinos" and they tasted and looked even better then before! I would hazard a guess that it tasted better then buying one from the countless shops i visited over the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X