Soy in coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soy in coffee?

Have been wondering about the practice of using soy in preference to milk in coffee, the reasons behind it, and is it a growing trend?

Cheers,

Jon.

Re: Soy in coffee?

:P

i dont understand how they milk soys?
    its just sick to think the pain those soys go through, STOP IT !!

Comment

Never had soy milk

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 515D545959503C0 link=1257370270/1#1 date=1257370886
        :P

i dont understand how they milk soys?
        its just sick to think the pain those soys go through, STOP IT !!
        May be a case for the RSPCA, or some thing. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 1C3831313232081C38243A38570 link=1257370270/2#2 date=1257371073
          Never had soy milk

KK
          Neither have I, wondered if I am missing something?

Comment

So what do I pick?

Sometimes?
            For health reasons?

Last time I had cow juice was 15 years ago. I had a Big M and two hours later my stomach was HUGE and I couldnt stop farting. One fart when for 28 seconds.... I have a witness, the stupid things you find funny when you are younger.
            So I dont animal milk any more. So does reason mean choice?
            If I didnt have a reaction to milk Id probably still drink it even though soy may be healthier.

So the easy solution is to drink coffee black. At a guess I would say that I would use soy in coffee one in fifteen times. Used to be one in two. As my coffee skills have gotten better and my tastes have changed I drink more black.

Also soy can and does wreck the coffee. As said by Gavin1 "Do you guys find soy milk in coffee taste like dried sh!take mushrooms?".
            Some soy milk brands are horrible. Some are nice. But even the best brands change the taste of coffee, rarely compliment (to my tastes).

One thing that annoys me is people drinking soy to be "trendy". Even to be healthier seems a little wrong to me. Unless you are drinking 4 or more lattes a day who cares?
            Coffee should be a luxury, not a need. It should be as good as possible. Enjoy it! Life is too short for crap coffee.

I think Ill tick "Sometimes" :

Comment

Originally posted by 6063717175637B020 link=1257370270/5#5 date=1257377628
              One fart when for 28 seconds
              You actually timed it. ROTFLMAO

Comment

I think fat is where the flavour is. Nothing like a bit of udder. Good question regarding how they milk soy though. Disturbing.

Comment

I dont know if I was doing it wrong or something but, I couldnt get CP and soy to mix properly to make an Iced coffee, has anyone else had the same problem?

Comment

Originally posted by 2673607B150 link=1257370270/8#8 date=1261563409
                    I dont know if I was doing it wrong or something but, I couldnt get CP and soy to mix properly to make an Iced coffee, has anyone else had the same problem?
                    Just sat back down at the "work" computer to drink a CP iced coffee made with soy. No issue. Im using the vitasoy so milky. Havent had an issue with any other of the vitasoy with mixing. No issue with Bonsoy.

Originally posted by 767A737370707D607B617067150 link=1257370270/7#7 date=1260418168
                    Good question regarding how they milk soy though. Disturbing.
                    Mmmm, why do they call it milk? I guess using "sauce" would sound a bit wrong!

Comment

Soy here. I cant digest dairy protein so Ive got no choice if I want a latte. I used to enjoy the odd soy latte even before I had to as I didnt mind the nuttiness it added. It really depends on the brands though, as theres lots of very average ones, a couple of good ones, and a few that are unpalatable. Personally I use So Good Regular, and only the "fresh" ones in the fridge, as this is the only one I can use on cereal without wanting to heave, and it doesnt have much of a flavour and is the most "milk-like" so it tends to stay out of the way of the coffee. Bonsoy is (or maybe now, was) my wifes favourite one for coffee as its more creamy, but I felt it detracted too much from the coffee.

Oh, and soy milk is made by boiling soybeans in water and blending then filtering. Its easy enough to do yourself, although there are home soy milk makers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by 7477656561776F160 link=1257370270/9#9 date=1261606049
                        Just sat back down at the "work" computer to drink a CP iced coffee made with soy. No issue. Im using the vitasoy so milky. Havent had an issue with any other of the vitasoy with mixing. No issue with Bonsoy.
                        I tried it earlier this year because my girlfriend was lactose intolerant, it only emulsified if I whisked it a lot, she can not stand the taste of soy so she just drink lactose free cows juice.

Comment

I have never tired soy coffee. Have tried the soy milk by itself and it tasted good. The flavour is quite strong. I think it would overpower the taste of coffee. However i will have to try it first i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by 59564D41595C594E380 link=1257370270/12#12 date=1261955312
                            I think it would overpower the taste of coffee.
                            I drink only non-dairy milk in my coffee, and I would find the taste of cow milk overpowering (and sour). So its a matter of what your default line is, more than anything else.
                            Anything you add to coffee will change the flavour. I believe its a matter of personal taste whether you think it made the coffee better or worse (or simply different).

Comment

Soy for me thanks.

Anything from Vitasoy is the go. I use Calci-Plus for my morning brews in my Sunbeam beast and it froths a treat. IMO it needs to be a Whole Bean soy milk, not an isolate based milk.

Cheers, Matty.

PS - In case youre interested...
                              15 years ago I had 3 weeks off dairy with the flu. Being a serious caffeine addict I needed to find a milk alternative as I couldnt stomach it black. Soy was at least palatable. After I got over the flu I went to my favourite cafe and ordered the biggest flat white on cow they could give me. I accused them of serving rancid milk...! As Kiki Bean mentioned, cow milk tastes sour when youve been off it for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X