Soy milk texturing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soy milk texturing?

My better half is intolerant to dairy so shes forced to have soy milk in her latte.
    The problem is that i simply cannot texture it properly.

Ive got a good, effective technique when using normal milk yet when i switch to texturing the soy milk, i end up with it frothing way too much (to the point where it reaches the top of the jug) and often a slight burnt smell despite only heating it to 60-65c.
    Ive tried stopping the heating at 55 degrees however that leaves the drink barely hot enough to drink.

Ive tried using both purple Vitasoy (which seems to be the most popular choice at cafes now Bonsoy is a no no) and So Good, but i have the same issues with both.

Has anyone got any specific tips, techniques or suggestions for texturing soy milk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Soy milk texturing?

If she is only intolerant to dairy, how does she fare with A2 milk? (It microfoams beautifully, and I am way less sensitive to it than normal milk.)

Sorry, I cant help with the texturing of soy milk, Id rather drink my coffee black.

Greg

Comment

I do know that So good is hard to microfoam, it seems to froth well if you like foam, but does not texture easily into microfoam.  

If the vitasoy purple that you are talking about is the calci plus one, you should be able to texture that one more easily and you should be able to produce a nice microfoam (but I find it is always a little more difficult than full cream milk).

You do have to be careful not to over heat the soy so like you mentioned try and keep it under 60 degrees.  

The vitasoy red textures a little better again.

The size of the jug vs volume of soy may also be an issue.  If for example you are using a 600ml jug with just enough soy for one cup, you will find that it will bubble all over the place (more so than full cream milk of the same volume).  If this is the case try using a little more soy than you think you will need and that way things will slow down and you will have a little more control over the process.

Hope this helps

Denhamia

Comment

Im able to texture the So Good fresh (out of the fridge section) variety well, but the long-life version doesnt work the same (and tastes very ordinary IMHO)

And make sure it is very cold. try pouring the amount you need into the jug and pop it in the freezer while you grind and pull the shot. might give you the extra degree or two you need...

Comment

Its very frustrating being able to get relatively good textured normal milk for myself and not be able to achieve the same for my better half, so thankyou all for your help.

Im still very early in my journey to becoming a coffee snob so whilst my milk texturing technique is sufficient with normal milk, it might not stand up to the more difficult to use soy milk.

I assume i should be using the same technique for both types of milk? Ive seen some people suggest you should have the wand deeper in soy milk, why i dont know.

Also, has anyone used the Vitasoy Barista milk? Ive not seen it before but i had a look on their website and noticed theyve released this (its an on the shelf product, not a refrigerated one), apparently especially for cafe use.

Originally posted by 42776062526A7768646961050 link=1263849483/1#1 date=1263872721
          If she is only intolerant to dairy, how does she fare with A2 milk? (It microfoams beautifully, and I am way less sensitive to it than normal milk.)
          Weve not actually tried the A2 stuff.
          I might buy some on the weekend and try it, hopefully its an answer, both to the poor texturing and the taste of soy milk.

Originally posted by 42776062526A7768646961050 link=1263849483/1#1 date=1263872721
          Sorry, I cant help with the texturing of soy milk, Id rather drink my coffee black. Smiley
          I agree.

Originally posted by 61606B6D64686C64050 link=1263849483/2#2 date=1263874460
          If the vitasoy purple that you are talking about is the calci plus one, you should be able to texture that one more easily and you should be able to produce a nice microfoam (but I find it is always a little more difficult than full cream milk).
          Yeah, thats the one.
          I actually found that i had more trouble with the purple Vitasoy than i did with the So Good.

You do have to be careful not to over heat the soy so like you mentioned try and keep it under 60 degrees.
          Ive tried to keep it below 60 although when i do my better half thinks its not hot enough (she takes a latte to work in a takeaway coffee cup).
          65 degrees or so is about the right temperature for her but if it means the milk is going to spoil its obviously not worth it.

The vitasoy red textures a little better again.
          Thanks, ill buy that one next.

The size of the jug vs volume of soy may also be an issue.If for example you are using a 600ml jug with just enough soy for one cup, you will find that it will bubble all over the place (more so than full cream milk of the same volume).If this is the case try using a little more soy than you think you will need and that way things will slow down and you will have a little more control over the process.
          I was actually using a 1lt jug (which was a bit silly, i know).
          Ive now got 400ml, 600ml and 1lt jugs so i might try the 400ml tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Originally posted by 616A70623D34050 link=1263849483/3#3 date=1263876749
          Im able to texture the So Good fresh (out of the fridge section) variety well, but the long-life version doesnt work the same (and tastes very ordinary IMHO)
          Ive been using the one from the fridge section (in both Vitasoy and So Good).
          Well steer clear of the ones on the shelf.

Originally posted by 616A70623D34050 link=1263849483/3#3 date=1263876749
          And make sure it is very cold. try pouring the amount you need into the jug and pop it in the freezer while you grind and pull the shot. might give you the extra degree or two you need...
          I put the milk in the jug and then back in the fridge but tonight ill try the freezer and cross my fingers that it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 5555551F0 link=1263849483/4#4 date=1263880222
            I assume i should be using the same technique for both types of milk? Ive seen some people suggest you should have the wand deeper in soy milk, why i dont know.

Also, has anyone used the Vitasoy Barista milk? Ive not seen it before but i had a look on their website and noticed theyve released this (its an on the shelf product, not a refrigerated one), apparently especially for cafe use.
            Hi Ristrom

Im another soy = deep wand technique operator. Soy is just way too easy to over-texturise and this helps limit that.

Im using the Vitasoy Barista at the shop. I think Vitasoy have a UHT version of all their products and this is one of them. I cant discern much of a taste difference from the Barista and the Original. It does however seem easier to texturise ie. not so much froth!

Cheers!

Comment

Vitasoy Barista tastes like playdough to me but that said, it is easier to work with than any other vitasoy in the range. It was designed with the help of David Makin

Comment

Originally posted by 183A3C27202A3C4F0 link=1263849483/6#6 date=1263895829
                Vitasoy Barista tastes like playdough to me but that said, it is easier to work with than any other vitasoy in the range. It was designed with the help of David Makin
                hmm...dunno if I am that well aquainted with the taste of playdoh  :-/

Comment

Thanks again to all for the help.
                  I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by 06272C2C2B31420 link=1263849483/5#5 date=1263894284
                  Im another soy = deep wand technique operator.Soy is just way too easy to over-texturise and this helps limit that.
                  Thanks for the confirmation, ill try that technique tomorrow.

Originally posted by 06272C2C2B31420 link=1263849483/5#5 date=1263894284
                  Im using the Vitasoy Barista at the shop.I think Vitasoy have a UHT version of all their products and this is one of them.I cant discern much of a taste difference from the Barista and the Original.It does however seem easier to texturise ie. not so much froth!
                  Thanks for the review.
                  I had a look in the supermarket on the way home from work tonight but alas, no sign of it.
                  Ill keep looking and give it a try.

Originally posted by 1537312A2D2731420 link=1263849483/6#6 date=1263895829
                  My better half doesnt like the taste of soy milk at the best of times (she often masks it in lattes with a terribly sugary vanilla syrup) so unless its genuinely dreadful i dont think the taste will be a huge issue.
                  Once i find it ill get her to taste it and ill report back on both what she thought of it and what i made of it from a texturing standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by 577573686F6573000 link=1263849483/6#6 date=1263895829
                    LOL - last time I tried playdough (the home made version) it was salty. Vitasoy is sweet.

What are you using Dave?

Comment

Originally posted by 11303B3B3C26550 link=1263849483/9#9 date=1263902454
                      LOL - last time I tried playdough (the home made version) it was salty.Vitasoy is sweet.

What are you using Dave?
                      Store bought playdough

Comment

Originally posted by 5C7E7863646E780B0 link=1263849483/10#10 date=1263905212
                        Originally posted by 11303B3B3C26550 link=1263849483/9#9 date=1263902454
                        LOL - last time I tried playdough (the home made version) it was salty.Vitasoy is sweet.

What are you using Dave?
                        Store bought playdough
                        Touché! ;D

Comment

I find texturing soy milk is a bit like texturing with trim milk. It hard to get the microfoam. You need to keep the nozzle of the steam wand on the surface longer to achieve the foam. Be careful not to get to much foam. Once you have enough foam take the nozzle under the surface of milk and keep it there untill the jug is too hot to touch for a instant.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks anu.

Ive shelved the soy milk this weekend, instead trying my better half on A2 milk and so far no reaction.
                            I havent had anymore success with my texturing with the A2 stuff, with my milk still lacking volume and creaminess.

The milk looks shiny, looks creamy, but upon pouring its very thin and makes for a very watery looking latte (although the taste is still fine).

I went back to my favourite coffee house today and again longingly stared at our lattes and cappuccinos, wondering if ill ever be able to texture milk like the godlike head barista.

Comment

Originally posted by 4040400A0 link=1263849483/13#13 date=1264311138
                              I went back to my favourite coffee house today and again longingly stared at our lattes and cappuccinos, wondering if ill ever be able to texture milk like the godlike head barista.
                              Dont beat yourself up too much.
                              Some of the machines in cafes almost perfectly texture the milk themselves and the guy/girl holding the jug takes the credit.

Comment

Working...
                              X