Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM5900 owners unite in the name of good microfoam!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM5900 owners unite in the name of good microfoam!

I dont know about the rest of you, but I cannot for the life of me get good consistent microfoam with my Sunbeam 5900. 

Usually its a layer of foam at the surface, and i can see the milk spinning underneath but it just wont incorporate!  Im know the steam is probably a little underpowered but there should be a way

Im using a 600ml jug filled to bottom of spout with low fat milk (approx 300ml)

angling jug away from machine, with steam tip slightly off center toward back, right quarter.  seems to be only way i can get a whirlpool going.

I know one of you 5900 owners has the key!  lets pool our resources to find the best method!  ;D

I did fluke this pseudo rosetta one morning though (ie. this has happened maybe twice out of hundreds of times) - perhaps theres some hope!

Re: EM5900 owners unite in the name of good microfoam!

Try this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxAvYoymUbM
    And switch the milk you are using. The quality of the proteins and fats, and their ratios very from dairy to dairy, and even at different times of the year.

Comment

thx for tip randy. Ive thought about using soapy water to practise but worried it will leave my steam tip with a soapy residue and affect the taste of my milk. is that an unfounded worry?

Comment

While I dont have a 5900, I tried this soapy water thing on my Breville, works reasonably well, but milk isnt that expensive and $5-$10 worth of it is plenty of practice material.

But in the case of the cleaning the soap technique, just run the steam for a little while, wipe clean, take of steam tip and rinse well in warm water.

Comment

Im having the same issue! I find that with the jug on an angle getting a whirlpool... if I keep the tip just at the surface the whole time adding little chirps of air, that keep the foam spinning, but as soon as it goes even 1mm below, this chunk of foam in the middle of the jug stops spinning, and I start getting a build up of stagnant foam just behind the steam tip.
          I thought it was bad technique, but then I steamed milk on the in-laws Saeco Syntia superauto with a froth enhancer using same technique, I got good microfoam first time! I thought the 5900 would be better at foaming than the superauto - is that wrong?
          Has anyone had experience with the 5900 and got good foam? Can someone video doing good steaming with the 5900?
          I have the heat and the pump rate turned up full, thinking you need good force to get good spin, and good heat to stop it from being wet steam... Is this right?
          I thought about plugging the standard hole in the steam tip and drilling a new one on an angle, similar to the position of the hole on a Domobar HX... any thoughts on that theory?

Comment

iggs: Have you done the Sunbeam coffee course? Im doing it this Saturday, so Im hoping they can help me out a bit.
            I have a suspicion their machines will steam better than mine, and the technique I learn there wont work on mine. If so, I think I might call Sunbeam and complain to see if theyll fix my machine.
            I hope its just my technique tho! Ill let you know how it goes.

Comment

hey mate. havent done course yet. will get round to it soon. let me know how it goes!

Comment

Hey mate,
                Course was average, dont rush to do it. We spent over an hour sitting down listening to the main facilitator talk, and about 15 mins on the machine. I made maybe 2 or 3 double shots, and steamed maybe 3 jugs of milk, and had hands on help from the two facilitators for about 1 minute each.
                The main facilitator, after I asked him to help me steam some milk on the 5900 said "yeah this machine has great steam power doesnt it?" as I was purging... then as he was helping me steam at the point where we were trying to incorporate the bubbles, said "yeah this machine doesnt really have the power to get the milk spinning". :
                The main facilitator could do really good milk on the 6910, and maybe if he did the milk himself on the 5900 he could have done better than when he was helping me, but he did he say he didnt think it quite had the power.
                Disappointed.

In any case, as Ive been trying, this is what Ive found. I can sometimes get decent microfoam using roughly the technique they showed me on a 350ml jug, but on the 600ml jug I cant. So what I do now is after steaming as best as I can, I give the milk about a 15 second spin with my Bodum hand milk frother, and it incorporates a bit better. Ive tried using the Bodum frother while steaming, but thats a job that kinda needs 3 hands.

Will keep trying and let you you know if I have any breakthroughs.

Comment

I would recommend getting the smallest jug you can find to do the job. A 600ml is way too big. Our HX machine at work struggles to handle the 600ml jug.
                  I have a cheap breville machine at my holiday house that has pretty lame steam power, but with a tiny jug it will do an acceptable job once you find the sweet spot. I just make one drink at a time.

Hope this helps.

Comment

jb-0101, that is a great story mate haha. its true though isnt it? looks impressive when purging but doesnt have the kick to get it spinning

thanks for tips guys. might try a smaller jug. looks like ill have to save up for a better machine eh?

Comment

I have no trouble getting good microfoam with 5900 but it is all about technique. Heres my effort from this morning. I use the 600mL jug, but I am making 310 mL lattes.

From the looks of it your milk split, all the froth poured out and your "art" is the last bit of runny milk on top. With lite/skim milk the key is to churn the milk a bit after youve incorporated the air and continue to spin it before the pour so that it does not split. Full cream milk doesnt split so readily so art is easier to pour with it.

Comment

Here are this mornings caps, full cream on left and lite milk on right. Maybe I should make a video of steaming milk on the EM5900.

Comment

darkfalz! much respect to you mate i would love to get my microfoam looking like that

Originally posted by 193C2F363B3C31275D0 link=1305938764/10#10 date=1307687257
                          with lite/skim milk the key is to churn the milk a bit after youve incorporated the air and continue to spin it before the pour so that it does not split.
                          i agree. i often have split layers of foam and milk. can you elaborate on this technique?

a video would be very,very appreciated. Please do one if you can

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mkva379iNfg[/media]

My embed works on Chrome but doesnt seem to work on IE, here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkva379iNfg

Not my best by any means (I had to do it one handed) but you get the idea. I spin and aerate the milk for the first half and then move it gently towards the middle and push it in a bit deeper to get it to churn. This was lite milk. Then you roll it by hand until the pour.

Comment

I am ashamed of the piano music in the background. Forgive me, I was practising the bad parts and its making me cringe. Good coffee, though!

Comment

Working...
                              X