Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current milk quality?

Gday folks,

Seems that my holy grail Aussie Farmers have changed their milk variety (ive been over seas) and its gone from 3.4g/100ml to 3.2g of protein. Riverina fresh still has the 3.4 however wasnt producing the same results as it was a couple of weeks back, i take it something has changed feed wise, and given the hot dry temps of late i take it has some influence, whats working for people out there at the moment?

Im tempted to have a whinge at aussie farmers though as the high protein count was what actually got me on board before i started getting all their fruit and veg and meat.

Re: Current milk quality?

I want to know why some weeks, the milk friths up great, yet, at other times its flat and lifeless.
    Do the factories water it down? Sometimes it certainly seems like it.

Comment

Agree - I am sure its no longer my coffee hardware or technique giving inconsistent results, but the quality of the milk. I use Pauls full cream (QLDer here), but will try other varieties.

Comment

From what I know about milk industry, they only can maintain the protein or other nutrient composition in a certain range.
        The quality of cows food shift seasonally, the weather changed all the time.
        Its impossible to ask cow to produce the same milk all year along.

Only if the milk farmer did not put water into the milk, I will be happy enough.
        Colin

Comment

Sorry Colin but we have to answer your point about we dairyfarmers putting water in our milk. Not for our Aussie owned company anyway. They strictly police watered down milk taking a vat sample each and every pick up. That is just not on.
          We are tested for water, dirt, bacteria and antibiotics in milk every time a tanker picks our top quality milk up.
          We have already commented about milk quality over the year , feeding cows for qual ity milk and testing milk before on C.S. so will not visit there again this time.
          Sufficient to say we have just had superb C.S. Wow lattes with breakfast made with unpastuerised milk that produced superb microfoam.

Comment

I have been monitoring the milk quality debate for some time now and was beginning to think it was all smoke and mirrors. people were just looking for someone to blamewhen they failed the microfoam test but alas at last I have bought some milk that is quite honestly terrible. Flat watery, tasteless, no sweetness or body too it and not one ounce of mouth feel. My wife accused me of using powdered milk, she remembered the taste from when we had been out camping and I wad using the stove top.

The milk was skim from safe way, and I know its not just because is skim because we have been drinking skim from aldi, safeway and coles for over two years now without a problem until now. So I think the price was has taken its toll, ill pick up some other branded milk to see but maybe its time to move to a more stable brand[move][/move]

Comment

This topic has been discussed regularly and at length over the years.
              The foaming quality of milk is a seasonal thing, it drops during summer months due to variations in feed quality, having said that improved technique will solve most of your problems summer or winter.
              Do a search, you will find plenty of information on the subject.

Comment

I should get my wife on here to fill in the production and quality needs of milk as she works in quality for Warrnambool Cheese and Butter. I know for a fact their Sungold Milk comes from only 2-3 farmers (premium) as a milk product consumed, only 20000-40000 is bottled a day for the market place ( two tankers). The rest of their milk is for butter, protein and cheese manufacture. They do a barista/\/cafe milk called o frothy one but you wont find this on your local supermarket shelf : Its to help the barista out as it has additional protein added

Good luck and dont be afraid to put in a customer complaint if you feel the milk quality has dropped off......

Comment

Originally posted by 5277766C61180 link=1321394900/7#7 date=1325805908
                  Good luck and dont be afraid to put in a customer complaint if you feel the milk quality has dropped off......
                  You can complain all you want (its your right) wont do you much good though, as I said in my last post its seasonal, poorer quality feed during the drier months.

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to milk you get what you pay for.

In my case, I buy the home brand Coles/Woolworths lite milk at $1.00 per litre which I use on cereal, cooking etc and the A2 lite milk exclusively for coffee. Its four times the price but as I see it, no point in having good equipment, good beans and then skimping on the milk, just doesnt make any sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 4C455B1E1F2F0 link=1321394900/9#9 date=1325809232
                      I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to milk you get what you pay for.

In my case, I buy the home brand Coles/Woolworths lite milk at $1.00 per litre which I use on cereal, cooking etc and the A2 lite milk exclusively for coffee.  Its four times the price but as I see it, no point in having good equipment, good beans and then skimping on the milk, just doesnt make any sense to me.

Not always get what you pay for. I know that WCB have contracts with Woolworths and that their Sungold milk is the same as the woolworths badged milks in my district

And my mate is the Quality Manager at a major Fonterra site, with which beautifully butterfly premium butter (Aldi spread) is Fonterras........ If your in the know, you can get the same quality products off the same line at a cheaper price.

Comment

Originally posted by 496C6D777A030 link=1321394900/10#10 date=1325809873
                        in my district
                        That may be the key point.

Originally posted by 496C6D777A030 link=1321394900/10#10 date=1325809873
                        And my mate is the Quality Manager at a major Fonterra site, with which beautifully butterfly premium butter (Aldi spread) is Fonterras........ If your in the know, you can get the same quality products off the same line at a cheaper price.
                        Yeah but I dont find that butter produces a quality microfoam

Seriously though, if anyone knows of a low cost milk that is exactly the same as a premium milk please let me know, Ill put the savings towards more beans.

Comment

Milk & cream consistency and characteristics do vary with the seasons. Its to do with the cattle and what theyre being fed on. We used to have a cake shop and whipped many many litres of cream every day, every week, and would definately notice a difference in the cream consistency from the container and then in its whipping. We spoke to Dairy Farmers & Bulla about it and the same applies to milk. A different technique might work for texturing, I dont know.

With regard to milk differences between brands, hubby works for a dairy producer and the same milk that is branded for Dairy Farmers is the Woolworths milk, they only change the bottle. Can only speak for these brands, but would assume it happens for the others too. Also, I have noticed that Coles & Aldi Lite milk have a strange taste that Woolworths Lite Milk doesnt, not sure if this is to do with permeate??

Comment

Just to throw another angle (spanner) in the mix.. I highly recommend Raw milk. Unfortunately in Aus it can only be sold for cosmetic purposes for reasons I wont go into here. Although food standards Aus is in the process of developing standards for general consumption which is good to hear.. Milk just like grandad had when he was a boy 

I find it excellent for milky coffee of any type..  ;D

The flavor is unmatched in supermarket milk. Although it is expensive when compared to woollies stuff..

Can usually be bought at your local Hippy store

Comment

You could just buy a cow.
                              No need to heat the milk then if you like it warm on your Weet-Bix.

Comment

Working...
                              X