Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with milk texturing...

Hello fellow coffeesnobs,

Ive been working on my frothing technique and the largest problem I am currently facing is the consistency of the microfoam throughout the milk.  It seems as though most of the microfoam is at the top of the milk jug when done? which means its very late in the pour when I can attempt any sort of Latte art.  Here is a pic and vid; tips would be most appreciated.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBrRGsa6-K4[/media]

Re: help with milk texturing...

To much air makes the milk stiffer
    By the looks of it you are at the in between stage of late art foam and cappuccino

KK

Comment

thanks KK, can I assume that the fix is to stretch for a shorter period of time? and just rotate the milk in the jug?

Comment

Originally posted by 6B6E61686E503F3C0F0 link=1323487709/2#2 date=1323496326
        thanks KK, can I assume that the fix is to stretch for a shorter period of time? and just rotate the milk in the jug?
        You can also try this method
        But if you have a single hole its wise to add just a little more air

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662

Read the method on post one [1]
        See a video on post [30]

KK

Comment

Hi, Im also new at making coffee. I find that the whirlpool really helps, because it folds the bigger bubbles toward the wand and gets rid of them, and at the same time you can be sure your foam is being distributed evenly throughout your milk.

I got a stick on thermometer, I stop microfoaming (near the surface) after the 50C mark and heat until 65C, maintaining the whirlpool at all times.. It works well and stretches about the 20% required.

Comment

progress...

Comment

KK, Ive had so much trouble getting textured milk that is usable for latte art. Im going to try your method in a few minutes on my Giotto Rocket Evolutione. I went down to your post #30 on "help with milk texturing" but could not view it because it is blocked in Germany because of the music you put on the video. Really wish folks would just leave off the music because it makes your video get blocked in Germany/Europe! :-[

Comment

Originally posted by 5E524158435A525D5C5E525D330 link=1323487709/6#6 date=1326015257
                KK, Ive had so much trouble getting textured milk that is usable for latte art.  Im going to try your method in a few minutes on my Giotto Rocket Evolutione.  I went down to your post #30 on "help with milk texturing" but could not view it because it is blocked in Germany because of the music you put on the video.  Really wish folks would just leave off the music because it makes your video get blocked in Germany/Europe! :-[
                Mark
                You will find the method very simple
                Let the steam from your machine do the work

As to the video you can try to download it on your computer to view

It was made by another CS member Oton
                He is based in the EU / Spain I believe

KK

Comment

Hi Mark,

I followed KKs method and heres my video without music skip to 2:45. I think the trick is to have the tip about 1mm up to 2mm (depending on the amount of milk) above the milk itself in the center and turning the steam full blast.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGvo3Qp_QdQ&context=C32203b9ADOEgsToPDskKD U6wpDEukGRd00XQh4nGC[/media]

Hope this helps. It has helped me alot!

Comment

hey, thanks for your response with the video. i had stumbled upon your video on youtube and went to KKs description of how to texture the milk. I cant really get the steam wand at a 90 degree angle to the milk because it is so long and has to be angled out from the machine. it seems the key will be to let less air into the milk at the start. i wish i could just set my pitcher on the machine like you do during your steaming...if i did that the steam wand would be almost at the bottom of the pitcher.
                    mark

Comment

Originally posted by 232F3C253E272F2021232F204E0 link=1323487709/9#9 date=1326024250
                      I cant really get the steam wand at a 90 degree angle to the milk because it is so long and has to be angled out from the machine
                      I guess the other option is to do what Oton does and set the pitcher on a makeshift stand on the side of the machine slightly lower. Anything to get the angle and height right...a stack of coasters? a box like Oton did etc.

Originally posted by 232F3C253E272F2021232F204E0 link=1323487709/9#9 date=1326024250
                      it seems the key will be to let less air into the milk at the start.
                      I think it is the opposite. the key is to get most of the air at the start which is why the tip is 1 or 2mm above the milk to push the air into the milk.

Comment

Originally posted by 2F233029322B232C2D2F232C420 link=1323487709/9#9 date=1326024250
                        hey, thanks for your response with the video.  i had stumbled upon your video on youtube and went to KKs description of how to texture the milk.  I cant really get the steam wand at a 90 degree angle to the milk because it is so long and has to be angled out from the machine.  it seems the key will be to let less air into the milk at the start.  i wish i could just set my pitcher on the machine like you do during your steaming...if i did that the steam wand would be almost at the bottom of the pitcher.
                        mark
                        An angle is not much of an issue
                        As long as the wand is in the centre and there is sufficient milk

KK

Comment

Thanks KK, I really appreciate your effort to help me. I just tried the method again before viewing your last post. Im sure that sketch will help a lot. Last time I tried I put the pitcher on the drainage try like Oton does and poured the milk in trying to stop with the milk 1mm distant to the steam wand. I guess my distance was greater because it sucked in a lot of air! Next time I try I will hold the pitcher in my hand like your sketch. I usually have a thermometer in the pitcher as well and bring the temp up to 165 F. Is that about right?
                          Thanks again!
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by 03272E2E2D2D1703273B2527480 link=1323487709/11#11 date=1326024780
                            An angle is not much of an issue
                            As long as the wand is in the centre and there is sufficient milk
                            I guess thats true. Actually in my video it really wasnt strictly 90 degrees, but definitely in the middle of the pitcher. It still provided enough incorporation of the air into the milk to come out with a decent textured milk. Not having to hold the milk I find helps with consistency too.

Mark,

In my video it was only milk for one, but I do the same method for 2 and even with a greater angle and still with the pitcher sitting on the Giotto tray. Ofcourse if you can get that 90 degrees air incorporating would be much more even. What sized pitcher are you using? 600ml or 1000ml? How did your first try go?

Comment

Seems to me the tip of the steam wand should be slightly BELOW the milk rather than 1mm to 2mm above the milk. Having the wand tip slightly below the milk level would also suck in air and give the ch, ch, ch sound...or not?

Comment

Working...
                              X