Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Milk?

Hi,

We bought a Gaggia Dose about 18months ago. Use it fairly regularly and have only just decided to remove the wand extension which is now giving us a much better and more consistent microfoam. Ive just started home roasting/popping, and thought there might be some insight here from you all as to what is your preferred milk?

My wife likes low fat, and weve always had reasonable results with Pura Tone.

What Milk gives you both the best body, taste and foam?

Whats the best low fat / skim?
    Whats the best full fat / full cream?

Re: What Milk?

I had a haggis before too and did the same thing. The secret is good quality fresh milk. I always found the reputable milk brands to stretch better than the generic brand milk. As for type they say skim firths better but I see no difference.

Comment

Sorry I meant gaggia not haggis the auto correct dictionary played up

Comment

Originally posted by 03282A24332C282A24410 link=1338518876/2#2 date=1338885120
        Sorry I meant gaggia not haggis the auto correct dictionary played up
        haggis ;D

Anyway I find Pauls Smarter White milk pretty good for a lowish fat milk. Can get decent results and tastes fine.

Comment

Good question, Sorry i dont normally do skinny milk however when i have tried it the results come up pretty good. As for Full cream milk i use Pauls farm house gold. Which i find works the best...

Comment

Ive tried all sorts of local and far milks but Ive found Dairy Farmers the most consistent with Caloola full creams. This is with steaming on a 6910

Comment

Im yet to find a milk which doesnt microfoam well on the Silvia, Ive used several different milks, mostly low-fat, but Ive used a couple of full creams as well, UHT or "fresh" all seems pretty much the same to me.

Comment

Tweedvale full fat (unhomogenised and permeate free) from the Adelaide Hills, not available in any of the duopoly stores. Foodland and IGA. Produces super creamy lattes. Leave the bottle sit overnight in the fridge and there is a bit lump of crop on top 8-) Reminds me of the milk we used to get delivered to our door when i was a kid (in the 80/90s). Straight from the dairy, raw....

Even their low fat milk tastes creamy. Most low fat milks taste like water. Horrid stuff but then low fat/diet anything sells to most people with no understanding of health.

Comment

I've been using pura because one of my fav cafe uses it. Has anyone used procal? I've heard it's good from another cafe. Not sure where to get it though

Comment

Originally posted by ogip View Post
                    I've been using pura because one of my fav cafe uses it. Has anyone used procal? I've heard it's good from another cafe. Not sure where to get it though
                    I have found rivernia to be the best milk. Most of the top cafes are using it

Comment

Cool thanks. I wouldnt mind trying this. Where can you buy it from?

Comment

Rivernia can be purchased from Woolworths however: Riverina Fresh drying up | The Daily Advertiser

“They’re not using local freight; they are not using local milk.”

It's saying that it's dried up even to the supplier forcing it off the shelf with other brands of milk which this same company Fonterra makes. ANZ Bank managers even gave their 2c worths also as they've closed the Wagga process factory.
                        Woolworths does say its available online though.

Riverina Full Cream Milk 2l - buy riverina full cream milk 2l online at woolworths.com.au

I personally use Pura. It's available from all stores and tastes the best out of all the 'permeate free' milks.

Comment

Originally posted by ogip View Post
                          Yes - but I buy this from the cafe downstairs from where I live. I've never seen it in Coles or Woolies.

Comment

What Milk?

I'm in Brisbane and use Maleny Gold Top full leaded milk - I'm so obsessed with this milk, I've been known to do a 70km round trip to get it.

What makes it great? Unhomegised, so all the cream is still in it, it tastes beautifully creamy and sweet, it microfoams like a dream and, importantly, and the profits go mostly to the local producer, Maleny Dairies.

Fortunately, a local IGA started stocking it that's only 10km away so I do a trip each Saturday and pick up enough to last me for the week (4x2L).

At $2.25 a litre, it's not cheap, but worth every cent because I know the money is mostly going to the producer rather than some multi-national (other than IGA's cut, of course, but alas the dairy is 120km away so a bit far to buy direct).

Cheers
                            Di

Comment

$2.25 isn't too bad. Pauls Smarter Milk is about $3.25 and it tastes like water. This is another milk from pauls i've tried which tastes like water. You can't taste it in any lattes and anyone would be better off just adding water rather than paying for milk. Never again am I buying another Pauls product besides Pura.

Comment

Working...
                              X