best milk for frothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best milk for frothing

After reading a few of the threads just wondering what is the best milk for frothing, normal or lite milk, my son has just started on his coffee making journey and asked me thanks in advance for views.

You'lll get dozens of different answers to this question.

Go out to your local supermarket and try different brands/types every week.
    You'll find your favourite.

I personally only drink soy milk as I can't digest milk or even lactose-free milk.
    However I have tried many different cow's milk for my sister.
    I'd say my favourite cow's milk for frothing is Devondale Barista's Milk.

Goodluck

Comment

Tried Aldi, Coles, Wollies, Home-Brand (Wollies), Pura, Great Ocean Road (Coles)

Cheap and good are Aldi and Coles
      Feeling rich: Pura and those more expensive (But not necessary taste nice for the price if frothed)
      No good: Wollies
      No No: Home-Brand

Depends on personal taste, really... I realise its really the machine and skills that makes cafe quality micro-foam, now I can get close enough to good foam but still limited by drier steam from full commercial machine

Comment

as an experienced barista who has worked in more than 6 cafes and been through countless types of milk i think procal regular full fat, taste and streches the best

Comment

Definitely regular, full fat milk. A2 has worked best and most consistently for me.

Comment

The aldi and coles milk mentioned are they full cream or lite milk.

Comment

Full cream, never tried any lite milk before but they look weird as they are watery... scary...

Comment

Originally posted by D4MMO View Post
                as an experienced barista who has worked in more than 6 cafes and been through countless types of milk i think procal regular full fat, taste and streches the best
                This is probably your bets advice. However, as a self-taught,never professional, home-barista who makes on average four FWs a day, I learnt with, and tend to use "lite" milk, usually around 2% fat and find it quite easy to produce latte-art quality milk once you have your technique sorted. Brand seems to make very little (if no) difference. Woolies green lid lite has a slightly higher fat content than other "home-brands" and ALDI, but are just as easy (or hard) to produce art-quality foam. The higher fat content does produce as creamier mouth-feel result though.

Pete

Comment

In terms of type of milk, I would definitely recommend full fat for starting but if you wish to become a barista commercially, then practise becomes perfect for skim or soy. I use dairy farmers at home

Comment

In the west I've found Brownes full cream to be the most consistent. But like other I have found as skills improved I could adjust on the fly and get nice paint like microfoam with any full cream milk.

Comment

Any Pura product is excellent to texture. Aldi milk is Pura packaged in their brand sticker.

If you are after a good soy product try Bonsoy. I have worked with a few different types, and this is the better quality soy.

-Linda

Comment

My fav so far is the Vitasoy Barista soy milk and Bannister Downs full cream milk here in the wild west.

Both Pura, Brownes and Harvey Fresh are good too but Harvey Fresh can be inconsistent certain parts of the year.

Comment

Re: best milk for frothing

My 2c - haven't settled on a regular milk, but I've had some success using Woolies lite.

But for soy, Bonsoy is hands down the best (for consistency, latte art & taste). It costs a fortune though ($4/L).

Comment

pura is my 2nd choice if I can't get Gippy Milk, not sure if it is stocked in other areas being locally made in Gippsland but if it is anyone should give it a go, it isn't just fantastic for getting great microfoam but it has great taste to go with it, be it in my coffee or just cold in a glass

Comment

I'm certainly no barista but I enjoy dairy farmers New. It's full cream but only 2% fat and seems to provide a very good microform. I'm in Qld so it may not be available elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X