Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best value/quality Milk Jug (300 or 500ml)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best value/quality Milk Jug (300 or 500ml)

Hi CS world!

This is my first venture out into the world of home brewed coffee.... and I will be entering into it with a silvia/rocky setup (please, minimal heckling...). I was looking for some advice on a milk jug purchase that won't require a second mortgage but will still provide me some ease in frothing milk/attempting to learn latte art.....

Any direction/advice appreciated!

Andy has some here on BeanBay: CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Cafelat Coffee Accessories - Cafelat Milk Jug 400ml

Don't have one myself, so cannot comment on how good they are for latte Art

GrahamK

Comment

The 400ml Cafelat jug looks pretty good value for money Hawk.

A smaller jug is better suited to the Silvia, its a good machine, however steaming anything over about 300ml is a bit of an ask.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk87 View Post
        Hi CS world!

This is my first venture out into the world of home brewed coffee.... and I will be entering into it with a silvia/rocky setup (please, minimal heckling...). I was looking for some advice on a milk jug purchase that won't require a second mortgage but will still provide me some ease in frothing milk/attempting to learn latte art.....

Any direction/advice appreciated!

Hi hawk87

AFAIAC, 300ml jugs are a bit of a lottery. My experience - most of them are pretty poor with only a few exceptions. My favourite is an Avanti 300 ($15?), closely followed by the Incasa (which needs the lip to be formed before it will pour microfoam properly - $10??).

Generally larger (500+ml) are a lot easier, and your technique can be altered to suit the jug. Just ensure it has a proper lip or it will not pour foam well.

TampIt
        PS: as an "old Silvia owner" beyond 600ml is not a good idea for Miss S.

Comment

I asked my girlfriend for a fancy jug for Christmas. I should have been more specific as she came back with a cheapy from a kitchenware store. Alas, it's pretty good! The brand was Chef Inox. In the end its a stainless steel cup with a spout. As TampIt suggested make sure it has a nice rolled over spout otherwise it'll 'cut' through your milk.

I usually use a 400mL for my gaggia, but I can just steam a 600mL (obviously only filled to the base of the spout) and generally get better results with it. I imagine the Silvia has a tiny bit more guts in the steam department so my bet would be for both a 400mL and 600mL Chef Inox or equivalent. Probably set you back $20-$30 for both. Those Cafelat jugs also look great though
          Last edited by JPA; 27 January 2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Have a look at Barista Accessories Milk Frothing Jugs and Pitchers including Cafelat, Espro, Motta, Ilsa and Alessi | Coffee Parts
            The motta jugs are my favourite but they might be above your limit.

Comment

With my Mini Nova (long steam wand with flat base 2 hole tip) I use the milk jug that comes as standard with the Breville BES860. Good size and always pours consistently. The spout isn't rolled but still performs well.
              The handle is also only attached to one point on the jug and bends away at an angle. This makes feeling the pour a lot easier that what I noticed with conventional handles.

Here is a link to it: Milk Frothing Jug | Breville

At $28 (plus postage) it's a bit expensive so there's probably a better option but if you ever see one going cheap I'd suggest giving it a go.

Comment

I have a Motta milk jug 350ml, that I got from Europe which seem to be a lot cheaper over there.

I went to the Coffee parts showroom and they have an awesome selection there, Barista Accessories Milk Frothing Jugs and Pitchers including Cafelat, Espro, Motta, Ilsa and Alessi | Coffee Parts

I would recommend the Motta jug as its stainless steel and easy to pour with. Its slightly heavier than some of the others. I would recommend going to a showroom and picking a few up and see how it feels. Sounds sily but all depends on what you feel most comfortable with. I have a rancilio silvia and rocky grinder and it worked well with those machines.

Comment

I bought this elcheapo jug off evilbay last week and it was cheap. Thick stainless. Looks like a motta knockoff and guess what it has improved my microfoaming abilities. Has a really nice defined spout that allows me to get close as possible to the cup. I'm going to grab some larger ones too. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430738786.859265.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	738840

Comment

I've had good success with a Rattleware, i think it's ~350ml. I think Talk Coffee carry them too

Comment

I bought two Motta Europa jugs (250mL and 350mL) from a European catering supply store for about the cost of one here.

I personally use my cheap Chef Inox 400mL more often (I think art is easier with it; the Motta spout is quite wide). IThe Motta is nice, but don't think I could jusify one at the local price personally.

Comment

I just got one of these basic barista kits from Big W. Includes a mini choc shaker, a great thermometer with a really big dial, and a 600ml milk jug. I've used these thermometers before and they're really good, but hadn't used this brand jug until now. I can honestly say it's the best 600ml I've used so far. The kit is only $25 so if you say $12 for the jug, $8 for the thermometer and $5 for the shaker that makes it pretty good value really. Definitely worth a look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431139871.399386.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	738856

Comment

Originally posted by kopigeek View Post
                          I bought this elcheapo jug off evilbay last week and it was cheap. Thick stainless. Looks like a motta knockoff and guess what it has improved my microfoaming abilities. Has a really nice defined spout that allows me to get close as possible to the cup. I'm going to grab some larger ones too. [ATTACH]9479[/ATTACH]
                          I like the look of that one kopigeek. I just had a look for them - is it the one from 'Newfrog'?

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                            I like the look of that one kopigeek. I just had a look for them - is it the one from 'Newfrog'?
                            I've sent you a pm mate with the eBay link from the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by kopigeek View Post
                              I've sent you a pm mate with the eBay link from the seller.
                              Hey, cheers. Yeah I just checked them out. The ones I'd found look exactly the same but are different sizes. Similar price, but with free worldwide shipping out of China so I might give them a go and let you know what they're like.

Comment

Working...
                              X