Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longlife Milk

Hi all

I am shortly to travel to Vanuatu where I have been assured there is great coffee, that the house we are staying in has a coffee machine BUT that only longlife milk is available. So I am turning to the experts.........

Does anyone have any advice about making coffee with longlife milk? Tips and tricks, brands to use/avoid? Any other advice for coffee in Vanuatu (Port Vila)?

Please help (one member of our group is considering not coming due to potential bad coffee)

Thanks
    Karen

UHT milk is fine, I always have some in the cupboard as I live remote and sometimes Woolies runs out of fresh milk. I dont do anything different with it, stretches just like fresh milk and tastes fine in coffee.

Comment

Thanks. I might give it a go before we leave too.

Comment

Originally posted by kjr View Post
        Hi all

Please help (one member of our group is considering not coming due to potential bad coffee)
        Are short / long blacks out of the question?

A lot of people prefer non milk-based coffee in the tropics in any case.

Comment

I use UHT as a backup and it works OK. The flavour is slightly different from fresh milk somewhat though, but not offensive at all. Just a slightly different taste.

Comment

Living in Tonga the only milk we get is UHT and coffee is good - particularly with our locally grown beans.

Comment

I use Devondale semi skim UHT at work, tastes fine, froths well and keeps for a quite a while in the fridge even after it's opened.

Comment

I've used UHT milk and it's fine. The barista one that they sell is actually pretty good.

Comment

Hmm.. I guess this is Coffee Snobs, not milk snobs.

Comment

UHT is fine I'd say. I use lactose free milk for my milk drinks and that comes UHT.
                    Not as easy to stretch but still works well.

Comment

Originally posted by tannyboy View Post
                      UHT is fine I'd say. I use lactose free milk for my milk drinks and that comes UHT.
                      Not as easy to stretch but still works well.
                      Any tips on using UHT? my trials so far are not going well!

Comment

Just something you probably already know: make sure it's cold. Harder to make it work straight out of the cupboard.

Comment

I've used uht milk with no change from usual technique. Has to be cold for best results though

Comment

I would like Betsy a lactose free cow in the backyard. I don't have one so I use UHT lactose free milk. It is pretty good. It frothswell enough too.

Comment

Originally posted by shortblackman View Post
                              Just something you probably already know: make sure it's cold. Harder to make it work straight out of the cupboard.
                              Thanks. Have been leaving it in the fridge but I should probably put the jug in as well

Comment

Working...
                              X