Which way do you swing? Steaming on the left or the right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way do you swing? Steaming on the left or the right

It just occurred to me that it would be interesting to know what side you folks prefer your steam wand on. I suspect that most machines have it on the right? Owning an ECM I was forced to transition to the left, but even then due to space constraints in my kitchen I swung it around to the right anyway. Yes, like a true CS I managed to convince my other half that sacrificing half the available bench space for a mammoth espresso machine was reasonable.
    Left
    55.56%
    Right
    25.93%
    I swing both ways
    18.52%

My machine has the wand on the left so that's where I do it. Feels right to me.

Comment

I've only owned machines with steam on the left. I used to hold the milk jug in my right hand when steaming but decided crossing hands to turn the steam off was not the best practise, so I have tried switching to holding the jug in my left hand - it's a small challenge and strange enough I find it more difficult to produce great foam goofey handed. Which hand do others hold the jug in when the steam is on the left? BTW I am right handed.

Comment

I prefer the right but am at ease either way so I would answer yes to two of the questions.

3 of the 4 domestic machines I've had steam on the right.

Comment

I rest the jug on the drip tray mostly. But when I hold it I hold it with my left hand. I'm right handed by the way.

Comment

I have had four machines with an even left/right split. Have never found it to be an issue. I generally hold with whatever hand suits the ergonomic and extend a finger or two to rest on the side/top of drip tray to control height and position.

A space limitation would be more of an issue for usability I reckon, eg cupboard/wall next to side of machine.

Cheers

Comment

I have recently switched from a Silvia, RHS, to my new machine ,LHS. I have moved my equipment around to suit my new workflow. Feels a bit odd after five years of RHS steaming.

Comment

The machine at home and at work both have that steam thingo on the left.

I've always wondered what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  The machine at home and at work both have that steam thingo on the left.

I've always wondered what it was.
                  Its an EPD (Espresso Pollution Device)...😂

Comment

Thread revival (not old enough to all it necromancy).

After more than twelve years of steaming on the right, I have a machine with the steamer on the left. Did it for the first time, found no problem with the fact I had changed hands for jug and valve. I think I was too busy concentrating on using the more powerful steamer accurately to notice the handedness. Therefore, I voted as a swinger.

Comment

Originally posted by beensean View Post
                      Thread revival (not old enough to all it necromancy).

After more than twelve years of steaming on the right, I have a machine with the steamer on the left. Did it for the first time, found no problem with the fact I had changed hands for jug and valve. I think I was too busy concentrating on using the more powerful steamer accurately to notice the handedness. Therefore, I voted as a swinger.
                      When i got my new machine with the steam arm on the left, I felt the need to swap my grinder to the opposite side to maintain the same workflow. Otherwise I happily changed sides too.

Comment

I came out of the closet a while ago and went from right to left. It was tricky for a few weeks but now I will never go back (I hope). I reckon you get used to what you have though.
                        GR

Comment

Working...
                        X