Milk that doesn’t froth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk that doesn’t froth

I am not sure if anyone has an experience that matches this since this is in South Africa – but if someone does it could be interesting for others.

A particular brand of milk, the biggest in South Africa, a few months ago stopped holding a froth – no matter what I did with my machine, it stayed flat. At first I thought the supermarket may have been breaking the cold chain and tried the same brand from a different supermarket with the same effect. The first supermarket also has a house brand that had the same problem (the source is not labelled but it is plausible that it’s from the same producer as the other brand that fails). Other brands of milk work just fine, so it’s not me or my machine.

Any ideas on what could be causing milk to fail to froth? (Fat % is the same on all types I tried, and freshness does not appear to be a factor.)

Could be what the cows are eating. Happens in Australia every now and then as well

Comment

Could be that…

Originally posted by trentski View Post
      Could be what the cows are eating. Happens in Australia every now and then as well
      Thanks.

Someone suggested that to me here as well – any ideas what could change this? Something seasonal e.g.?

Comment

The nutritional content of their graze changes with the seasons, more rain, less rain, etc.

Java "Moooooo...n!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Yep, happens in Australia during a couple of the dryer months.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            Yep, happens in Australia during a couple of the dryer months.
            And we hates it!! Especially in the cafe when we simply have to send milk back to the dairy.

Comment

Originally posted by mwcalder05 View Post
              And we hates it!! Especially in the cafe when we simply have to send milk back to the dairy.
              Can understand your frustration, as a home barista! just an inconvenience, trying to run a cafe, dodgy milk wouldn't enhance your reputation.

Comment

Little bit of cream in the jug used to fix it for me

Comment

^What he said. Our quality of milk varies here in Sri Lanka too. That long life stuff always seems to froth though it does taste pretty bad.

Cold brew time?

Comment

That's a relief to hear it's a common thing (although a little annoying). I thought that I'd lost my touch the past week or so, had no idea why I couldn't texture properly. Been using Aldi milk the past few months and it's been fine up until this week. The past few days though I've been using Pura and the milk has come out really bubbly, almost as if it were carbonated like a soft drink. Big bubbles which kept coming to the surface. Was really strange, never seen it before.

Comment

Winter / wet months green grass= more creamy milk
                      warmer months fed more on hay= less creamy milk

Comment

Interesting article here about milk and foaming properties. http://www.jimseven.com/2006/12/16/w...-my-milk-foam/ I was under the impression that it's protien and the lack of it not fat that affects the foam-ability, this writer seems to be of the same opinion.

Comment

I have found the worst for this is the Woolworths standard milk, cant get a decent froth. But i never have a problem with the Coles brand milk so there must be some differences between them

Comment

Originally posted by brettreaby View Post
                            I have found the worst for this is the Woolworths standard milk, cant get a decent froth. But i never have a problem with the Coles brand milk so there must be some differences between them
                            Odd. I've found Ww best out of all the big brands in consistency and not having any funky flavours. Not noticed any issues with frothing and that's with a small wimpy boiler (Via Venezia)

Comment

I find that brand is irrelevant; more important is that it has the maximum use by date. I will not buy with less than 10 days, on fresh full cream milk, and it stretches and foams excellently - regardless of brand.
                              -cafelazio.

Comment

Working...
                              X