Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of milk do you use in coffee? Poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always use full cream but not found much difference between the brands even though the make up of fat/protein does vary

Comment

Always full cream in my cup.

I had an ex that was allergic to dairy, soy and nuts so she would get me to add rice milk to her coffee... That was a pretty horrid combo.

Comment

Interesting result! not entirely unexpected.

Comment

I like my milk to moo

Comment

I think the result is somewhat skewed. When I answered there was about half the options there are now, and I selected full cream milk because <5% of the time when I do add milk it's full cream. I would have selected no milk if it were an option at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
              I think the result is somewhat skewed. When I answered there was about half the options there are now, and I selected full cream milk because <5% of the time when I do add milk it's full cream. I would have selected no milk if it were an option at the time.

Only to a minor degree, the options added, (see post 13) were "low fat" and "Who puts milk in coffee?" not exactly half, as Andy commented skim and low fat are pretty much the same, unless you want to be pedantic.

The interesting outcome to me was that the milk alternatives didn't get a single vote.

As a matter of interest I don't put milk in coffee, however I certainly respect the decision of those who prefer the option.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Vive La Difference.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	750909

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                Was reading somewhere that milk from Jersey cows has predominately A2 proteins which seems to cause less issues for some people than A1 proteins.

When I was a kid, small dairy farms were common and my Aunt and Uncle had one in Mirboo North on the north face of Dickie's Hill just out of town. Their dairy herd was 99% Jersey cows.

Drinking chilled milk taken straight out of the refrigerated milk vat in the milking shed, was quite a treat. Probably frowned upon these days (unpasteurised milk) but quite the norm back then.

Unfortunately the big companies were screwing over the farmers back then too. I remember when Murray Goulburn Co-Op came to the region (Leongatha) and the farmers standard of living took a sharp downturn. Having to regularly shoot Rabbits to eat due to low milk prices became a fact of life. Eventually many small farmers had to sell up. Not a lot has changed except even that even larger acre farms aren't sustainable due to $1 a litre milk.
                Well said CafeLotta

I totally agree that modern processing / additives has destroyed the flavour of the "fresh from an actual cow" stuff. The only "non cow" ones I make for allergic to life others is either rice or oats - and neither taste anything like milk, however they do not take the taste into the Twilight Zone either. In particular I also find soy reacts with coffee and turns it into undrinkable swill. Shudder.

Mind you, I am (possibly - ahem) biased as I grew up with a herd of Guernseys, Jerseys, Brahmin and Frisian just over the back fence. I actually prefer Guernsey as a drinking milk, however both it and Jersey tend to overpower most coffees - unless you are also a caffeine freak...

We used to call the Frisian "white paint milk" - and getting anything else in the West worth drinking (i.e. not processed at least 10 stages past death and then "additived" to really finish it off) is really tricky. So these days I only use milk in coffee - lightly processed Frisian in glass bottles (Bannister Downs - long may you survive!). My usual "car travelling treat" when I get to Renmark in South Oz is a milkshake made with decent "real" milk (sigh - lucky buggers there).

Enjoy your cuppa, whatever it is.

TampIt
                PS: Java"I am with you"phile on the half and half when it used Frisian milk (in the US). That was the best Frisian I have ever had. It almost tasted like a natural product, unlike the usual "package tastes better" or utterly tasteless stuff over there.

Comment

I use long life 'Bon Soy'.

I have given up on moo...

Moo...ving on.

Comment

Cow milk is the way to go. I think using full cream or low fat cow milk makes the taste of coffee much better.

Comment

Oat milk here. Minor figures usually.

Comment

Working...
                      X