Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct my latte art technique

Hi Snobs,

I want to get better at latte art. To take my first step towards this, I've made a video of my milk frothing and pour to review my technique.
    This video is shared in the link below. Would really appreciate if you guys can spare a minute to watch the video and let me know what improvements I can make to get better latte art.
    Happy to provide additional information or take more videos if required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf8LpzOlh7M

I do notice when I fill the cup, milk travels to the surface and disturbs the crema (picture shows this below), can't seem to figure out why this happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-16 014140.png
Views:	1
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	763949
    Last edited by darkliger; 16th February 2020, 04:00 AM.

If you’re only just starting to pour latte art that’s a great result and there’s not much more that you can do other than practice. Glasses are definitely more difficult to pour in than proper latte or cappuccino cups so you could consider getting one or two of them to use. If you prefer glass you can always switch back to it. So I’d just keep practicing. Getting the right consistency of milk is about 70% of the battle so maintain focus on that. The reason you see a bit of white on top of your crema is because either your milk is slightly too thick OR you’re not lifting the jug high enough at that point OR you’re pouring a bit fast. Or a combination of all three. When setting the crema the milk needs to be a very thin stream to ensure it penetrates and gets under it properly. I’m not much better than you so no expert by any means and there could be some more points from others that are a bit more proficient.

Comment

The circled part is caused by the way you set the cup. The crema will chase the milk if you pour too close. Try pouring a bit higher. You are also not holding your jug straight which will twist the milk making it harder to control. About 40 sec into the vid look at the jug angle.

Where in Brisbane are you?

Comment

Thank you guys, appreciate the advice.
        I'll try thinner milk and pouring a bit higher.

@Ronin, i'm located at Coopers Plains.

Comment

I wouldn’t think thinner milk is going to help tbh
          I could recommend a lesson with someone if you like but they are all city or north side so a bit far from you

Comment

Pour higher to set the crema OR have your milk a bit thinner, not both. If you like the milk at the consistency you’re currently getting then leave it the same and adjust your pour.

Comment

Actually doing really great, milk texture is beautiful!

Agree with keeping the jug straight and not twisted, and also pouring from a bit higher initially. Great steaming position, and is the exact one I use.

And if you wanted to go for more tulip 'leaves/buds/tiers', you just have to be a bit quicker with the drops. Quicker and more intentional in the 'pushing' in, and basically not taking too long with each drop.

Some people are too rigid in their pouring (too much tension in the pouring hand, trying to force the art), and some too loose. I'm a classic rigid, but learned to loosen up over time and practice. But not too much! I feel like somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot . So learning what your habits are and adjusting from there is important.

Latte art I'm really coming to learn.. is that improvement comes through learning/understanding how the milk reacts with the coffee (on the pouring side of things, but even this informs you what your steaming technique is like). Being observant as to how it reacts and using that to guide you, playing around with that. It's a really intuitive on-the-go learning process!

Comment

Thats a mighty effort for a new starter! Your milk looks pretty good, so you just need to hone your technique a bit to get what you want.

Google Verve Coffee Latter Art Tutorial, I have found it simple and very well explained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4b7CZ7joUE

Cheers

Comment

Thanks you for the tips.

Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
                  And if you wanted to go for more tulip 'leaves/buds/tiers', you just have to be a bit quicker with the drops. Quicker and more intentional in the 'pushing' in, and basically not taking too long with each drop.

Some people are too rigid in their pouring (too much tension in the pouring hand, trying to force the art), and some too loose. I'm a classic rigid, but learned to loosen up over time and practice. But not too much! I feel like somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot . So learning what your habits are and adjusting from there is important.
                  @simonsk8r, this is eye opening advice, I watched the video again and did notice i pause a bit between drops. Will try and speed it up next time.
                  I'll make another video soon with all the suggested amendments to my pour.

Comment

Originally posted by darkliger View Post
                    @simonsk8r, this is eye opening advice, I watched the video again and did notice i pause a bit between drops. Will try and speed it up next time.
                    I don't think it's the gap between each drop, but rather the time taken to pour each drop that's being referred to.

Comment

I’ll also add into the mix to be gentle and control the flow rate.
                      A couple of my tulips for reference.
                      Wing base layered heart style & a full wrap.
                      Attached Files

Comment

ive read you can work on your art by practicing technique using 'steamed" water that has been steamed with dishwashng liquid in it. Evidently it pours much like steamed milk does. i read this somewhere. Did see proportions in a video mentioned but no idea where now and funnily enough when i did my basic coffee course and asked about improving latte art the trainer also mentioned doing the same thing.

Comment

How is it going?

Comment

Originally posted by kexkez View Post
                            ive read you can work on your art by practicing technique using 'steamed" water that has been steamed with dishwashng liquid in it. Evidently it pours much like steamed milk does. i read this somewhere. Did see proportions in a video mentioned but no idea where now and funnily enough when i did my basic coffee course and asked about improving latte art the trainer also mentioned doing the same thing.
                            Yep, water with one drop of dishwashing liquid. Textures just like milk!

Cheers

Comment

Hi everyone, I recorded my pour today to provide an update on where i'm at. I skipped the recording of the milk frothing because I haven't altered any aspects of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYCGL8ccZDY

1st pour - Tried to change the way I usually hold the milk pitcher, held it by the handle so that the pitcher spout is naturally straighter. Poured with more intent as recommended. Was focusing too much on the intent part and forgot to control the flow so filled the cup too quickly and didn't get the pattern to spread out enough.

2nd pour - Held the pitcher like how I usually do, by the sides. The first latte art drop was too aggressive and disturbed the crema too much. Managed to fill the cup with art but cup was too full at the end to finish the art properly.

Let me know how I'm going, still trying to make adjustments to improve.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                              X