Free range milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free range milk?

Currently in Melbourne, and I recently tried out the full cream "Free range milk" from Camperdown Dairy which comes only in 2L bottles for $4 each. Overall tastes good, with ~4% fat (though on their website it is stated as 4.1%) it isn't too creamy but brings the flavour. It can be frothed well just like other good milk. I was using Farmhouse Gold and A2 before this, but they are a bit too pricey so I decided to explore out.

The problem is the name "Free range" - what the heck does it mean for milk? Is it simply BS or something worth a word? I see the claim that they don't mix milk from different farms for this product range (so-called "single origin"), but what does it mean? More interestingly, Camperdown has another product line called "Jersey" which has almost the same description and nutritional info on the website (yep, same fat content). At woolies, these two are put side by side and priced exactly the same.

Any mates here expertise in milk have thoughts and facts to share? I am no expert on milk, but would like to know more on it. Thanks.

Joe.

I'm no expert but the name is probably BS targeting those who like "options". I guess it comes from cows that are not caged up, Oh free range, it must be good. Soon there will be a gluten free low GI version too, can't wait for that!

Comment

When I was a boy growing up in a country town we kept a cow in our backyard. It was on loan from my uncles dairy farm, and rotated from time to time for another from the herd. Some were fresians and some were jerseys and I remember that while the fresians gave more milk, the jersey milk was definitely creamier.
      However, with modern processing, no doubt they can now set the milk fat content to whatever precentage they want it to be.

As for the "free range", there was a trend towards feedlot style dairy farms, with the cows kept in yards and fed on baled hay and processed food, and though I think there are probably more traditional free range dairy farms than feedlot style, I really don't know.

Comment

Hi

On their website is a "Contact Us". Ask them :-) They will probably be surprised that someone has asked and will need to come up with a reply. Give their marketing section some work to do :-)

Mike

Comment

Lol. Now I suspect they just rebranded the “Jersey” as “Free range” to expect more sales.

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike View Post
            Hi

On their website is a "Contact Us". Ask them :-) They will probably be surprised that someone has asked and will need to come up with a reply. Give their marketing section some work to do :-)

Mike
            I have emailed them. But I guess I will either get marketing BS or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by justhaveonecat View Post
              The problem is the name "Free range" - what the heck does it mean for milk?
              Sadly, it's not suitable for use with Vegan coffee

Comment

Ah yep I've got free range milk. Every now and then I let it out, just to wander about, get some fresh air then I pop it back in the fridge. Tastes so much better!

Comment

I dropped the milk on the floor once.

Comment

Originally posted by justhaveonecat View Post
                    I have emailed them. But I guess I will either get marketing BS or nothing.
                    Yeah, I expect you'll get marketing fluff (like spelomike said).

I know overseas they have "grain fed beef" but I've not herd (bad dad joke pun) of "grain fed dairy" but maybe it exists too. With the beef they typically cage them in a yard and feed them for most of their lives.

We have beef feedlots here but typically only as a buffer between being free-range and going to market. Dairy is done in high rainfall areas and lots of green grass (eg: Colac through to Camperdown and Warrnambool) as land is cheap and grain is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

Yeah, I expect you'll get marketing fluff (like spelomike said).

I know overseas they have "grain fed beef" but I've not herd (bad dad joke pun) of "grain fed dairy" but maybe it exists too. With the beef they typically cage them in a yard and feed them for most of their lives.

We have beef feedlots here but typically only as a buffer between being free-range and going to market. Dairy is done in high rainfall areas and lots of green grass (eg: Colac through to Camperdown and Warrnambool) as land is cheap and grain is expensive.
                      Just a quick follow up: I did not get anything from them...
                      And thanks for your information regarding the dairy stuff!

Comment

Working...
                      X